Dug out my old SL-1300 w/Shure V-15 Type III

I'm embarrassed to say that a previous set up many years ago left me to abandon listening to any vinyl and my vinyl collecting ended about mid 1980s...so I had never given the McIntosh MA6200 phono section a try...

Inspired yesterday by another thread on another Forum, I breathed new life into a pair of Klipsch kg2s adding a pair of Bob Crites Titanium tweeter updates...sounded very nice...

Today, I found myself with some time and dug out my old but rarely used Technics SL-1300 direct drive turntable with it's near mint Shure V-15 Type III...I picked this TT up many years ago along with the cart hoping to reinvigorate the old vinyl days, thought less of it after a listen and put them away and basically forgot about them...

With the extra time, pair of speakers hooked up to nothing, I decided to put a system together to listen to them...seeing the TT I decided, why not...

Listening to my old copy of The Secret Policeman's Other Ball and this combination sounds wonderful...

I have better speakers that I could team this with but for right now, I am listening to some components that I haven't heard in maybe 8-10 years and am really enjoying the synergy with this McIntosh integrated amp...yum

I know I want to downsize but I may have to hold on to some of this a bit longer... :cool: 

Bill

Edited by silversport
  • Like 1

Got a newish Technics DC Servo BD20D turntable with a Shure cartridge head. Sounds pretty decent hooked to a good condition NEC AUA-8300. Plays those hard to forget LP's from the day.

Enjoy!

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Steely Dan aja sounds better than I remember on my old college rig (Yamaha CA-610II, Technics SL-D2 and an Audio-Technica Cart)...who knows if I'll keep it this way but I am enjoying listening to this combo and it makes a very small footprint in a spare bedroom right now...

Thanks for the encouragement and support...

Bill

I'd like to add that Bob Crites Titanium tweeter modification has awakened the highs on my kg2s...I think at least one of the original tweeter diaphragms was on its way out...(some scratchiness-static sound at certain notes)

Bill

This post is such a coincidence!  Past two weeks I've been on a vinyl kick also, and I thought it was just me!  In my case, I have an SL-1700MKII with MA 630mp cartridge hooked up to the main stereo, and an SL-1400MKII with Shure M97xe hooked up to my iMac for archiving.  I've been dusting off all the out-of-print Sheffield Lab albums in my library and giving them a listen lately, and it's been great - the "clicks and pops" really send me down memory lane!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Shure V15 MkIII is a well renowned head. When my grandfather passed I inherited a Thorens TD-124 from his basement and it had a Shure V15 Type III. I was excited and got everything set up and tried for hours to get the Shure to sound right but it sounded very muffled. I even got a new needle for it but it did not help which bummed me out pretty good. I still have it in a bag in my drawer. Do head units wear out at all?

Indeed the Shure V15 III is a tremendous cartridge and was the high point in MM design (imo), if it sounds muffled and you are using the original stylus it might well be that the rubber mount has given up and died, the good news is you can find a replacement from a well known US seller for £15 that is so good I can't tell the difference between new and old.

• Like 2

Indeed the Shure V15 III is a tremendous cartridge and was the high point in MM design (imo), if it sounds muffled and you are using the original stylus it might well be that the rubber mount has given up and died, the good news is you can find a replacement from a well known US seller for £15 that is so good I can't tell the difference between new and old.

This is interesting. I did replace the needle, do I need to replace any internal parts as well?

Edited by twk123

I don't know enough about them to help you but hopefully someone here will chime in to help...the memories associated with stuff is great to share...thanks for sharing yours...

Bill

Thanks Bill. It has been a fun project to restore it and get it working again. I have recently re-finished the plinth and am working on the cables. The tone arm is so old I dont think they make the needle plugs for it anymore for the phono cables so I am taking apart the plug and going to re-solder some copper instrument cables and RCA interconnects on the other side. I will definitely post some photos once it is done.

• Like 1

For anyone looking to "tune up" their Technics tables, there is a guy here about 20 minutes from me that is known as the Technics "guru". He does everything to them from lubing to modding,wiring, and builds add on parts. If it's OK to post his site, it's KABUSA.COM. His name is Kevin. I listened to his system that has a Technics SL1200 and my jaw dropped,it was that good.

twk123, on the Shure cartridge, it may have gunked up dirt,oil on the stylus tip. If you know someone who retips or redoes carts, send it to them to repolish it up for you. If not, again if it's OK top post, try Andy at Needleclinic.com. He is excellent.He rebuilds carts,cantilevers,suspensions, and is very fair on pricing. If not, you can try the Ed Saunders replacement stylus as it's supposed to be identical to the original. If you want to go Jico, they have a few as well, and then there's the Jico SAS (very expensive now) and the EVG version which is made in the Jico warehouse for them. It will have that cartridge sounding open and clear on any of the replacements.I had the version 3 as well and it had the original and SAS stylus.

For anyone looking to "tune up" their Technics tables, there is a guy here about 20 minutes from me that is known as the Technics "guru". He does everything to them from lubing to modding,wiring, and builds add on parts. If it's OK to post his site, it's KABUSA.COM. His name is Kevin. I listened to his system that has a Technics SL1200 and my jaw dropped,it was that good.

Kevin Barrett of KAB is definitely the SL-1200 guru.  He does mods and upgrades, and sells good-looking well-made wooden bases for 1200s.

• Like 1

some used to clean the needle by lightly using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the stylus tip...just be VERY careful if you do this and try a search as my information on this is a few years old...perhaps more data is available...

Bill

• Like 1