Cap Coupled amp for Klipsch?... Marantz, Sansui?

Okay...

I've been thru a lot of "trial & error"

when it comes to audio gear...

Different combos of amps, receivers, integrated and separates.

(Realistically Speaking)...

Our beloved Klipsch speakers are "horn" type designs, and, by nature, can sometimes seem

"harsh" or "shrill" sounding

due to poor matching of complementary amplification.

In my long search for affordable audio nirvana in my home, I've learned a few things along the way.

I'm no expert by any means,

But I know what sounds good to me.

This is a short list of amps and/or receivers that I am contemplating buying

To use with my Klipsch Chorus 1's,

(and soon, also for use with a pair of heresys as well)...

I've selected some of these based on personal experience, and some were chosen based on popular opinions of friends and reviews I've read over the years.

MARANTZ:

1060 or 2015 or 2230

SANSUI

AU-555a or AU-777a

And, as honorable mentions:

HARMAN/KARDON

330C, 430, 730, 401 and 402.

&

The ADVENT model 300.

I know that some of the models listed are not cap-coupled, but... They all have a very

Warm presentation, smooth... (What most people refer to as "Tube-Like".)

So, the question I'm posing today is:

Which one of these would you guys choose (if you could only pick one), to mate with klipsch heritage series speakers, and why?

Any and all input is appreciated,

(And by the way... I love this forum!)

Yamaha made great equipment, lots of it so the price is relatively low.

MX 600, 630, 800, 830 are equal or better than almost anything for little money.

Are you running vinyl or digital or both??

I have both vinyl and digital sources.

Right now, I have a technics SL-1210mkII turntable, and a creek audio CD-60 compact disc player (with matching DAC-60 digital-to-analog converter).

I play vinyl mostly,

and I'm aware that the CD player/DAC combo I have is dated... But honestly,

I've yet to come across a CD player that sounds as "analog" as this creek setup.

I've owned a couple of marantz 2230's,

But I acquired them at the wrong times...

When building a vintage audio system was not

really a priority, and sold them shortly after buying them.

I've never had a 2270, but I've heard nothing but great things about them.

The problem is, for what a decently operational 2270 costs these days, you could get into McIntosh for the same money!

What I'm afraid of, is finally getting my hands on a McIntosh (1900 or 4100 or 6100?),

It won't sound as "warm" or smooth as what I've heard from marantz.

The 2230/1060 marantz units are truly some of the most liquid sounding amplifiers I've ever had the pleasure to hear.

But everyone says "MCINTOSH!"

and, the Mc stuff does look amazing.

Lately, I've been looking into Sansui au-555a.

It's also cap-coupled, and I've never tried a sansui of any kind, so the reviews, looks, and cap-coupledness has piqued my interest.

The reason I'm leaning toward the Capacitor Coupled units so much, is because

It seems that they are a nice midway point between tubes and solid state designs

when it comes to warmth of tone and still has that solid-state punch.

I'm so sorry I let go of my marantz 1060.

Can anyone out there tell me if the "baby" marantz 2015 receiver is also a cap-coupled design?

I'm thinking that a "flea watt" 2015

might be just what the doctor ordered

with heritage klipsch speakers?

As far as I've noticed,

(with klipsch speakers)

The lower wattage amp designs seem to

have a "lush" tone

when compared to their higher powered big brothers.

I had a Harman/Kardon 430 twin-powered receiver, I intended on buying a pair of heresys to go with it...

At that time, i had a pair of Boston Acoustics A400 speakers (4 ohm).

The little 430 sounded great,

But I was having a really difficult time locating a pair of heresys In my area to mate them with,

and the Boston's were too hard to power with the h/k... It was getting super hot at even low volume levels.

So, I traded the 430 (plus $100 cash)

For a Harman/Kardon 730.

My thinking was... Same sound as the 430,

But with more balls.

The 730 powered the 4 ohm Boston's reasonably well, but all of the warmth was gone.

The smooth but lively tone that the 430 had

Was gone.

The 730 was in beautiful condition,

but it might have been in need of

a cap replacement, or a slight bias adjustment?

I don't know, but to me... The difference was not slight.

It's amazing how different

One amp can sound

when compared to it's siblings in the same model lineup.

One model up or down could make a world of difference.

Here are a few quotes from other

people online on the subject:

"I have heard dozens of Marantz offerings from the 2230, 2240, 2270, 2385, quads, component amps....the musical sweetness of the flea amps, the 2015 in particular, trump the whole lot! If you have some sweet mid to small speakers this is a truly astounding amp. Bigger is not always better.

- Bugust.

"Well it didn't make any sense at all.

The Sansui 771 has way more power, more options for speakers, more RCA jacks to plug into and on paper should be far and away a better unit

but somehow that little 2015 just sounds better... A LOT Better.

I don't know what kind of voodoo the guys at Marantz put in this thing but what ever it is I like it.

I love my Sansui and would never knock the build quality or sound but DAMN that Marantz 2015 sounds good!

I will say that it is a little lacking in bass but overall it blew the 771 away.

I will say that I have enjoyed the Sansui thoroughly and it is a fantastic unit that i would recommend to anyone but to my ear the Marantz it the keeper of the two."

- sean7278

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2013/11/marantz-2015.html?m=1

Can anyone tell me if the marantz 2015 is cap-coupled like the 2230 or not?

I cannot find any info on it.

"I have never got this fixation with high power = great sound.

My little Marantz Model 2015 is only 15 wpc, but the sound signature blows away my Sony STR-v7 rated at 150 wpc.

38 watts is plenty. I have an Hitachi HMA-6500 power amp that puts out 50wpc that will put most high powered amps in the shade, It stomped on my Yamaha MX-1000 which is rated at 260 wpc. so much so, I sold the Yamaha and kept the Hitachi. It's all about the sound, not the power.

The 1060 is a sweet amp sir. Let nobody persuade you otherwise."

- mufster.

"I have never got this fixation with high power = great sound.

My little Marantz Model 2015 is only 15 wpc, but the sound signature blows away my Sony STR-v7 rated at 150 wpc.

38 watts is plenty. I have an Hitachi HMA-6500 power amp that puts out 50wpc that will put most high powered amps in the shade, It stomped on my Yamaha MX-1000 which is rated at 260 wpc. so much so, I sold the Yamaha and kept the Hitachi. It's all about the sound, not the power.

The 1060 is a sweet amp sir. Let nobody persuade you otherwise."

- mufster.

In what way does the design or components of the Hitachi differ from the MX-1000???

I think Hitachi is a trading company like so many others, so who designed and made the amp may not be known.

After looking at some pictures of the marantz 2015 with the top cover off...

It does appear to be cap-coupled!

I guess that explains the

smoothness it has?

So, I've narrowed down my list of

of possible (affordable) amps:

Marantz 2015, 2230, or 1060.

Sansui AU-555a, or 777a.

Harman/Kardon a401/a402, or 430.

I know that there are LOTS of others out there that fit the description,

But these are the ones that appeal to me

For use with klipsch heritage speakers.

I'm really very curious about the

Sansui au-555a, so any info from anyone out there on that model would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 years later...

Don't have too much to offer here other than that I love the sound of my Marantz 2230.  It is not paired with any of my Klipsch speakers; I have it hooked up to a really cheap pair of Yamaha 3-way bookshelf speakers in a second system.  This combo sounds WAY better than the cost of components would lead you to believe.  Easily 90% of the sound quality of my big Klipsch-based system at 1/10th of the cost. 

I am not sure what the going price is for these old Marantz units, but they definitely have a very smooth and nice sound.  I paid $10 at Goodwill for mine, and then spent $90 on a rebuild kit to replace the caps and lights.  It is like a brand new unit.  For the ~$100 I have invested, I don't see how you could do better.

50 year old receivers

BTW I have a Marantz 2270 and a Sansui 300L. The Marantz was my uncles item and I rescued it from being trashed after he passed away. I let restore it long before this kind of receivers got their second life and popularity, and my now adult son happily uses it, or better said now it is his P&J. The little Sansui was the first stereo of my father in 1970. He passed away in 2003. This 1970 little Sansui system was my key at 11y for my stereo journey. I still have the corresponding and good working Sansui SP10 single driver speakers. The 300L also still works after a smaller restore. BTW at this time Sansui was really not known or popular in Germany, and hifi was still not discovered by many people, That startet almost 6 to 10 years later.

In my mothers house (she is happily alive and healthy) there is still my fathers Sansui QRX 6500 receiver with Sansui SP2500 speakers in front and SP70 in the rear. Revox tangential turntable and a Braun TG1000 tape recorder.

So every time I visit my mother every second week I turn on the stereo in my parents house. And I enjoy what I hear.

• 4 weeks later...

I hooked up my old Marantz 2015 just to give it a listen. My son has had it for several years. Hooked to 20's it sounds as good as I remember. I recently picked up a Sansui G3500 from an old fellow. Been is his closet 20 some years. I thought  this is a good time to compare em'. The Sansui certainly has a different sound and I really like it. It's smooth as silk and very robust for 30 or so watts per channel, although the Marantz 20w or so is too. The Sansui sounds so much different than my Marantz/Pioneer/Onkyo from the same era. The separation ,layers on bass, depth of drums...I'm gonna have to move up the line. It was a big surprise, just bought it cause it was mint and cheap.

• Like 2