HDT 500 Satellite speaker not working, help!

themarkwhite

Good morning,

I have a set of HD Theatre 500 speakers. I moved a bit ago and have finally setup all my theater equipment in the basement. However I noticed that one of my speakers was practically not working. Quiet crackling sound coming from the tweeter and no sound from the woofer. I located the screws and removed the housing and noticed right away that something had fried. All of the capacitors look fine, none are swollen or bulging. 

I have attached two pictures of the component that is fried and I believe needs replacing. 

I am not well versed in audio components so any help is greatly appreciated. 

What is this the component that is fried? Is it replaceable? If not can the whole board be replaced? Where can a replacement be bought?

I'd like to bypass spending money on a new speaker (or set of speakers) if I am able to fix this myself. I am experienced in soldering so that is not an issue. 

Thank you in advanced for your help!
Mark

post-63295-0-88280000-1464177761_thumb.j

post-63295-0-11480000-1464177773_thumb.j

Edited by themarkwhite

That looks like a bad resistor.  I don't know the value of it.  Sometime you can find the HD 500 on CL or Ebay and just get the one speaker for around $25.  That's a nice little system.  I still have the sub from that system rock'in.

Thanks Derrick. I've poked around on CL and eBay and haven't been able to find 1 speaker by itself yet. I enjoyed the sub but needed more so I upgraded the sub to the 12rw-d a while ago  :D

Does anyone know if i can replace the resistor? If so,does anyone know the specs of the replacement?