JP68

Just purchased the following items as the first AVR/Speaker setup in 15 years:

Yamaha RX-V667 7.2

R-25C

2x R-28F

2x R-24F

2x R-15M

2x R-10SW

The Room: Is medium, carpeted, furnished heavy, curtain drapped, three leather reclining club chairs.

I quickly realized that things have changed significantly since the days of past. I am completely lost on what plugs where, and how; in regards to the speaker setup i.e. (bi-amp, bi-wired, necessity of running a separate PA to provide appropriate power for the 28's and how to do that if it is a necessity, etc...) I know this is only a 2.5k setup, although plans are to get back into the swing of things and upgrade through time, please be kind.

I am respectfully asking those with the know how, to take this ignoranance filled old-timer and fill him with the knowledge they possess, so I am not damaging things before I start. Please steer me in the right direction.

Sincerely,

- Lost

Relax, easy. I assume that you are running a source (Satellite / cable box / DVD BR that has HDMI out). For now forget the external amps but you may want that in the future. Let's just get to the simple.

I see Carl has out typed me again but I continue.

Run common speaker wire from the posts on the back of the Yamaha to the respective speakers (ignore that bi-amp print) and forget bi-wire at least for now leaving any jumpers on the speakers connected and hook speaker wire to either terminal, the jumpers will carry the signal.

Plug in your sources to HDMI 1, 2, 3 etc

Run HDMI from HDMI out on AVR to TV.

Run RCA cables from Subwoofer out to the subs.

Find your manual test tones in the menu and run thru the speakers to ensure that you have them connected to the corresponding output; left/right/center, l/r surround, l/r rears.

Welcome, come back for more but I didn't sleep in a H.I. Express last night.

Edited by USNRET

Later, to connect a external power amp(s) you would remove the speaker wire you want to power by the external amp from the AVR, connect it to the external amp and then run an RCA cable from the corresponding PRE_OUT from the AVR to the external amp.

Thanks for the welcome, located in Mojave Desert- CA side...

No need to bi amp or bi wire anything. Run speaker wires from your receiver to the respective speakers. Run an RCA cable from your receivers sub out or lfe to your subwoofer plate amp.

Understood, this is installation advice, would be my limit of knowledge in any case where the following didn't exist:

* I have four posts on the speakers? Clueless...

* Should I buy a ext. PA to push the 28(s) rated 150w at 8ohms where as the receiver is pushing 90w at 8ohms all channels? Is that even possible? I would hate to cause damage because of under powering, I am not going to be cranking this thing to 11, so does it matter?

* I have banana plugs (screw type) 16 gauge wire, is this appropriate?

* AVR has #1 and #2 preouts for Subs, although again more RCA ports on the back of the 10SW(s) more than one? Again...clueless? A different cable?

Thanks for any additional assistance.

Thanks for the welcome, located in Mojave Desert- CA side...

No need to bi amp or bi wire anything. Run speaker wires from your receiver to the respective speakers. Run an RCA cable from your receivers sub out or lfe to your subwoofer plate amp.

Understood, this is installation advice, would be my limit of knowledge in any case where the following didn't exist:

* Should I buy a ext. PA to push the 28(s) rated 150w at 8ohms where as the receiver is pushing 90w at 8ohms all channels? Is that even possible? I would hate to cause damage because of under powering, I am not going to be cranking this thing to 11, so does it matter?

* I have banana plugs (screw type) 16 gauge wire, is this appropriate?

* AVR has #1 and #2 preouts for Subs, although again more RCA ports on the back of the 10SW(s) more than one? Again...clueless? A different cable?

Thanks for any additional assistance.

This four posts on the speakers are connected by jumpers in pairs, simply plug in - / + from AVR to the top or bottom pair. If there are no brass 'jumpers' speak up.

Yes running, HD cable, Gaming Console to a ceiling mounted HD/3D projector and drop screen.

No jumpers, apparently I need to buy some then, no worries.

The components connection is not an issue, that is self-explanatory, I can figure that it was just the multiple posts and ports on speaker that had me scratching my head.

Welcome to the forum. What you have is a very simple set up. Run the positive (red) and negative (black) speaker wires from the speaker terminals on the back of your receiver to the corresponding speaker terminals on your speakers. The speaker terminals on the speakers are bi-wirable but you are not doing that so simply keep the brass jumper plates in place and hook up one wire to each of the red and black terminals. Doesn't really matter if you use top or bottom as the jumpers will put equal current to both high frequencies (tweeters) and low frequencies(woofers). 

• Like 1

Yes running, HD cable, Gaming Console to a ceiling mounted HD/3D projector and drop screen.

No jumpers, apparently I need to buy some then, no worries.

The components connection is not an issue, that is self-explanatory, I can figure that it was just the multiple posts and ports on speaker that had me scratching my head.

The speakers should have came with jumpers between top and bottom inputs. If they are missing, no big deal. Connect the upper and lower -/+ together with banana plugs, bare wire, whatever so that all drivers woofers, mids, tweeters are powered.

Di you just buy the speakers? They should be attached. They are slim pieces of brass/copper looking jumpers which run from the top two speaker terminals tot he bottom two.If in fact you don't have them, you can use speaker wire as a jumper. Connect the top red to the bottom red and the top black to the bottom black terminals, same deal.

Thanks, for the welcome.

Tracking, get jumpers, plug in.

Any advice for the RCA one port preout on amp and L/R RCA on Sub?

The one I was using as ref. Was a used, I see the Jumpers on the others.