Wiring...I admit it, I have no idea what I am doing, help requested

JP68

Rule of thumb, don't crank the heck out of your speakers. More damage comes from doing so than any other thing you can do to them. They are all efficient and should get to loud levels without spinning the volume dial up!

Any advice for the RCA one port preout on amp and L/R RCA on Sub?

You'll need 2 RCA cables (1 for each sub) from the sub preouts on the receiver to each sub. The left input on the sub is recommended I believe but it really doesn't matter. Some people use a "Y" adapter into each input which can help wake up the sub if it has an auto on feature.-+*

Use the top input on the sub (L/LFE)

1409754622000_IMG_420516.jpg

Edited by Tasdom
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum JP.  You came to the right place.  :emotion-19::emotion-21::emotion-22:

Your questions are all good and I've read all the replies.  I can't add to them because you are getting expert advice.

+++

FYI you are where I was three years ago.  I had all the old stereo stuff, it was a simpler time.  But I couldn't hear anything on TV from the new 5.1 broadcasts so for the first time in 20 years I wanted the new stuff, so I purchased an Onkyo 7.2 AVR and started adding speakers and a sub.  There was a LOT to learn!  :wacko2:

The one thing I would like to tell you from my experience is that the new 5.1 SOUND is very different from the old 2.0 stereos.  I tried to make the new AVR sound like my old stereo setup and I failed miserably. 

You have got to let the AVR room correction help you, and you have to experiment to learn these "listening mode" settings on your AVR.  You have stereo, Pure Audio, Dolby, DTS, etc etc etc.  It boggled my mind and took months to learn.

If you simply take the advice of the people here who are advising you, your learning curve will be substantially shortened.  It's fun to experiment and learn, but at some point you just want to listen to the blasted thing!

That 5.1 sound IS different.  Take some time to get used to it, it can sound pretty good.

• Like 1

I'll be the first jerk of the bunch to give you the advice you didn't ask for lol. You mentioned being a noob and uograding like six times already. You were willing to throw down 2500$ on speakers to begin with.

I'll tell you right now take the Best Buy speakers back, and find you some actual reference speakers right off the bat. If you can't have a 5.1, 7.1 right off the bat, no biggie. Build over time. Better setup in the long run with less money wasted. You have an idea I'm sure how much value your speakers lose over the next year. It's crazy. If you spent say 1800 on your speakers then take them back and find a killer deal on a rf-7ii/rc-64ii setup. Then buy surrounds and a sub down the road. Catch them big boys while they are still around. They will be replaced soon with something higher priced and won't be on sale anytime soon

Good luck with the wiring. Sounds like everyone is pointing you in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1