Heresy II (best method for deeper bass?)

I learned a lot just by reading some of the topics and posts from the knowledgeable folks who visit here. And a lot of my questions got answered by just searching for it in this forum, and reading what they've said about it.

Me, too.  I thought I knew quite a bit about audio.  Then I joined the forum.  That was a few months after I got my La Scalas in August of 2006.  It's fair to say that my audio knowledge has more than doubled since then.  There are many experienced and well-informed people on here, plus sometimes the networking allows people to put their heads together and solve tricky issues.

As well, what you learn here can take your system further than you ever expected.  Years ago, my idea of a dream system was a decent receiver and a pair of La Scalas, but I thought they'd be forever out of range of my budget.  Then one day, I nearly bumped into a used pair at the vintage hi-fi shop, and so it began.  Within a couple of years, I was listening to bi-amped JubScalas!

That was made possible in part by the availability of items being sold by other members.  Keep an eye on the Garage Sale section when you're looking for something, or even when you're not.  I thought I'd never have La Scala IIs, either, but what do you know, a pair showed up out of the blue one day in Garage Sale, not far from me, at a great price.  All it takes to find great gear is patience and money, and that becomes easier over time.  Here's one trick:  have a separate bank account just for audio.  Put a bit in every month, and when something shows up that you've been hoping to find, grab your cash and jump on it!

• 2 years later...

Hello, I’m also looking for a replacement for Heresy 2 woofers becouse one of them has to be reconed. Here in Italy it’s hard to find reconing kit for k24k. But I can easily find bec woofers. Wich type of bec is the better option for heresy2? I don’t need extra bass performance, I like the sound of Heresy, but a bit more bass is not bad. I like very much the sound of Heresy 3, but here in Italy there’s not upgrade kit. So BEC is the only choice for me, maybe.

thanks

3 minutes ago, simon said:

Hello, I’m also looking for a replacement for Heresy 2 woofers becouse one of them has to be reconed. Here in Italy it’s hard to find reconing kit for k24k. But I can easily find bec woofers. Wich type of bec is the better option for heresy2? I don’t need extra bass performance, I like the sound of Heresy, but a bit more bass is not bad. I like very much the sound of Heresy 3, but here in Italy there’s not upgrade kit. So BEC is the only choice for me, maybe.

thanks

@BEC

On 5/28/2016 at 5:36 PM, Islander said:

Me, too.  I thought I knew quite a bit about audio.  Then I joined the forum.  That was a few months after I got my La Scalas in August of 2006.  It's fair to say that my audio knowledge has more than doubled since then.  There are many experienced and well-informed people on here, plus sometimes the networking allows people to put their heads together and solve tricky issues.

As well, what you learn here can take your system further than you ever expected.  Years ago, my idea of a dream system was a decent receiver and a pair of La Scalas, but I thought they'd be forever out of range of my budget.  Then one day, I nearly bumped into a used pair at the vintage hi-fi shop, and so it began.  Within a couple of years, I was listening to bi-amped JubScalas!

That was made possible in part by the availability of items being sold by other members.  Keep an eye on the Garage Sale section when you're looking for something, or even when you're not.  I thought I'd never have La Scala IIs, either, but what do you know, a pair showed up out of the blue one day in Garage Sale, not far from me, at a great price.  All it takes to find great gear is patience and money, and that becomes easier over time.  Here's one trick:  have a separate bank account just for audio.  Put a bit in every month, and when something shows up that you've been hoping to find, grab your cash and jump on it!

I agree, without the knowledge on this site and people willing to share, I built my verticle Cornwalls and found most of the components here back in 2002.  Someone was nice enough to measure there's and post measurements. Deang gave direction on the crossovers and man did they turn out nice.  Same as the Super Heresy created by Claudj1.   I couldn't come up with this stuff, but with the knowledgeable people here I can follow direction and participate with some projects here.

On 5/28/2016 at 5:12 PM, TheMusicFreaks said:

Hi Islander, I totally agree.

Any upgrades I do, will be one at a time,

for all the reasons you said, plus my budget would only allow one upgrade at a time.

But no, pointing that out is a good thing,

because the great thing about this forum, is that other people could read these posts, and learn from it.

I learned a lot just by reading some of the topics and posts from the knowledgeable folks who visit here. And a lot of my questions got answered by just searching for it in this forum, and reading what they've said about it.

What sold me on the Heresy's back in 1985 was the tight powerful in your gut mid bass.   Just loved that, but after building verticle Cornwalls and living with them for 15 or so yrs, I thought the Heresy needed a tad more low bass and turned them into a Super Heresy with the B&C120 driver. Glad I did as these Heresy's never sounded so good.   I understand you don't want to cut those up, but just sayin.

There's a limitation on ANY speaker based on its design specification... regardless of how much boundary you can toss at it.

You can more easily get more bloat than you can frequency... if that's your cup of tea.

• 2 years later...

The Heresy speakers already have a 12 inch woofer and a woofer that size should be capable of

very deep bass. The problem  is the Heresy speakers are wired for a low of 58hz. I think that

maybe some work on the crossover/wiring could deliver lower frequencies. Check with some

shops that do that type of work. 

44 minutes ago, boband212 said:

The Heresy speakers already have a 12 inch woofer and a woofer that size should be capable of

very deep bass. The problem  is the Heresy speakers are wired for a low of 58hz. I think that

maybe some work on the crossover/wiring could deliver lower frequencies. Check with some

Just because a "Loudspeaker" has a 12" wooofer does not mean it will reach low(er) frequencies. The (low-end) frequency response of a loudspeaker enclosure is based on the woofer parameters and the enclosure it is in. The woofer T/S parameters will dictate what volume of enclosure the woofer likes to work in. 

There are a few woofers that you can upgrade to for the stock Heresy enclosure that you can use in a ported configuration to help extend the low frequency response. 

The wire and crossover have nothing to do with the Heresy low-end frequency response. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boband212 said:

That's like saying every V8 should be more powerful than every V6.  🙄

• Like 1

the Heresy II is like a Monitor versus a PA speaker , and it's designed for the Best Vocals , detail in the HF , clear as Crystal , if you add too much bass , you ruin the speaker 's Sound , use a Sub -

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

That's like saying every V8 should be more powerful than every V6.  🙄

Agreed. As far as I know, Heresy crossovers do not have a high pass filter limiting the low end of the woofer. In fact, I don't know of any speaker manufacturer that does that.

The low frequency cutoff of the Heresy is limited by the cabinet volume.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2016 at 8:38 PM, TheMusicFreaks said:

Hello Everyone.

It seems that (most) people love the heresy.

But I've noticed that (most) people also

complain about the heresy not having

enough low frequency output on their own,

and usually recommend the use of a subwoofer.

If adding a sub is not an option,

and squeezing some deeper bass

from a heresy was the goal...

what are some options without altering the original heresy cabinet?

Or, to put it another way...

I want more bass from my heresy II

without adding a sub, or changing original size of the cabinet.

I think that the heresy is one of the most

attractive looking speakers ever produced.

It's not too big,

It has a very "retro" look,

and to me... It just symbolizes klipsch heritage

and class.

But I want it to have more bass!

I know I can get Quartets, Fortes, Etc...

But I want the classic heresy look.

So, if you wanna keep your heresys looking

"Stock", but need lower tones from it...

Whatta ya do?

A   Pretty simple actually. You start with an H1 which has a removable back. You can save to OEM back to restore to factory configuration later if you wish. Then read up on Claude's super heresy thread and follow instructions. Now I know you have an H2 but I don't know anyone who has made a super out of those.

B    Save the money for H4's which will be a lot more money but they are really good.

C    Cheapest most common bass maker for Heresy's would be a sub. If it bothers you to have a sub you have limited yourself to choices A and B above.

9 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Not necessarily. It has everything to do with the T/S parameters. An enclosure that is too large or too small will negatively affect the low-end response of a woofer in a box or in/on an infinite baffle. 

I suppose one could go with low efficiency high excursion woofers, providing they don't mind bar room boom sound quality.