Heresy II (best method for deeper bass?)

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

This thread is almost six years old, but nobody mentioned that Heresys are to be placed on the floor. 

Proving that Heresy's stand the test of time. Old to the forum maybe but not to the poster who revived it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

This thread is almost six years old, but nobody mentioned that Heresys are to be placed on the floor. 

The Heresy is a high output speaker in a pretty small cabinet, so compromise with low bass must be made . My Heresy II’s respond good to bass tone adjustment, up to a point . On the plus side , Heresy will never sound bloated on music which is a good , and the bass is tight and good quality . Personally I like Heresy bass . I think no matter what  speaker you have , at some point your going to believe , or someone will convince you that you need more bass , that’s what subwoofers are for.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone.

It seems that (most) people love the heresy.

But I've noticed that (most) people also

complain about the heresy not having

enough low frequency output on their own,

and usually recommend the use of a subwoofer.

If adding a sub is not an option,

and squeezing some deeper bass

from a heresy was the goal...

what are some options without altering the original heresy cabinet?

Or, to put it another way...

I want more bass from my heresy II

without adding a sub, or changing original size of the cabinet.

I think that the heresy is one of the most

attractive looking speakers ever produced.

It's not too big,

It has a very "retro" look,

and to me... It just symbolizes klipsch heritage

and class.

But I want it to have more bass!

I know I can get Quartets, Fortes, Etc...

But I want the classic heresy look.

So, if you wanna keep your heresys looking

"Stock", but need lower tones from it...

Whatta ya do?

Follow what Paul Klipsch said: Put them in the corners and toe them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Follow what Paul Klipsch said: Put them in the corners and toe them in.

corner placement is usually best.. but it wont fix the fact that heresys drop off fast after ~50hz.  some do a port mod but still wont be the low full range bass of larger speakers, only option to get that below 35-40hz is to add a sub or upgrade to other models like forte or the bigger tower models.  

• Like 1

It's kind of ironic that such a legendary speaker has a bass limit equal to many bookshelf speakers, while most of the floorstanding non-Heritage series Klipsch speakers can play lower. Of course, it's a different sound, and the new Heresy IV attempts to mitigate that yet even porting the Heresy IV cabinet doesn't get the Heresy into the sub-40Hz range, that even the lowest tiered, least expensive Klipsch floorstander can reach. Heck; in the brochure for the kg series speakers, it makes mention of using their passive subwoofer, the kg SW, to augment the bass output of the Heresy II's, bringing it down to 38Hz. To Klipsch's defense, when the Heresy was introduced, there was little music which reached lower than the Heresy's limitations. It's still a great speaker, in a reasonable room-sized package.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 9:38 PM, TheMusicFreaks said:

Hello Everyone.

It's not too big,

and class.

Whatta ya do?

cornwall's

On 1/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, Peter P. said:

It's kind of ironic that such a legendary speaker has a bass limit equal to many bookshelf speakers

There was a time when a speaker the size of a Heresy was also considered a bookshelf speaker. My JBL 4311s are almost the same size and they weren't meant to be on the floor.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:37 PM, Peter P. said:

It's kind of ironic that such a legendary speaker has a bass limit equal to many bookshelf speakers, while most of the floorstanding non-Heritage series Klipsch speakers can play lower. Of course, it's a different sound, and the new Heresy IV attempts to mitigate that yet even porting the Heresy IV cabinet doesn't get the Heresy into the sub-40Hz range, that even the lowest tiered, least expensive Klipsch floorstander can reach. Heck; in the brochure for the kg series speakers, it makes mention of using their passive subwoofer, the kg SW, to augment the bass output of the Heresy II's, bringing it down to 38Hz. To Klipsch's defense, when the Heresy was introduced, there was little music which reached lower than the Heresy's limitations. It's still a great speaker, in a reasonable room-sized package.

True.

I had H-IIs for thirty years. Wish I'd kept them and recapped.

What they excelled at was the impact of the sound coming from them. They could be used for background music but when you put the wattage into them other similar sized brands just could not compete with this classic that PWK made!

What I have now utilizes radiators and gets down into the 30s, but that whetted my appetite for more bass... ended up with a good adjustable sub!

So now if I ever rebuild my rig again, I'll have to go fully horn loaded to be satisfied this go-round! 

Hello Everyone.

It's not too big,

and class.

Whatta ya do?

There is a reason why the Heresy only goes to 50Hz. It was designed to be efficient, low distortion, flat response speaker. The woofer only has a 1/8” excursion. 1/16” out and 1/16” in, this leads to the low distortion that Mr. Klipsch achieved. The Heresy is voiced to what goes in comes out with no coloration. He could have ported the cabinet and threw in a long throw woofer to get deeper bass but a woofer flapping in the air would add coloration and distortion. There is some musical information below 50Hz but not a great amount. If you are a basshead and want to rattle walls and shake the floor then you need a subwoofer. If you want an honest non colored low distortion speaker then the Heresy in its stock form is what you are looking for.They we’re intended to go on the floor in a corner. Corner loading reinforces bass. That is where they really sing. Slanted riser bases were optional to lift high frequencies into the room. Any modifications to the Heresy changes the sound. It may sound different but not better.

• Like 2

Hello Everyone.

It's not too big,

and class.

Whatta ya do?

There is a reason why the Heresy only goes to 50Hz. It was designed to be efficient, low distortion, flat response speaker. The woofer only has a 1/8” excursion. 1/16” out and 1/16” in, this leads to the low distortion that Mr. Klipsch achieved. The Heresy is voiced to what goes in comes out with no coloration. He could have ported the cabinet and threw in a long throw woofer to get deeper bass but a woofer flapping in the air would add coloration and distortion. There is some musical information below 50Hz but not a great amount. If you are a basshead and want to rattle walls and shake the floor then you need a subwoofer. If you want an honest non colored low distortion speaker then the Heresy in its stock form is what you are looking for.They we’re intended to go on the floor in a corner. Corner loading reinforces bass. That is where they really sing. Slanted riser bases were optional to lift high frequencies into the room. Any modifications to the Heresy changes the sound. It may sound different but not better.

• Like 1

There was a time when a speaker the size of a Heresy was also considered a bookshelf speaker. By JBL 4311s are almost the same size and they weren't meant to be on the floor.

I have heard it described as a bookshelf. The original Heresy had an 8” woofer and was designed to be a center speaker between two Klipshorns. When people started buying them in pairs for stand alone stereo speakers, Paul Klipsch redesigned them with a 12” woofer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Whitlow said:

The woofer only has a 1/8” excursion. 1/16” out and 1/16” in, this leads to the low distortion that Mr. Klipsch achieved. The Heresy is voiced to what goes in comes out with no coloration. He could have ported the cabinet and threw in a long throw woofer to get deeper bass but a woofer flapping in the air would add coloration and distortion.

A ported woofer actually decreases excursion as it nears the tuning point. below the tuning point it will increase. The problem is group delay increases as you near the tuning frequency.

What TheMusicFreaks is asking for; lower bass from a Heresy without modification is just not possible. Even corner placement will only increase the bass level but not lower the 3dB point.

Trade in the Heresy II's for Heresy IV's and you'll get some but not all of what you seek.

A subwoofer, Grasshopper, is what you need.