Paducah Home Theater

Ali Farka Toure/Ry Cooder 1994 Talking Timbuktu

Ana Caram 1982 The Other Side of Jobim

Ana Caram 1989 Rio After Dark

Ana Caram 2001 Blue Bossa

Andrés Segovia 2004 The Best of

Anouar Brahem 1991 Barzakh

Bruce BecVar 1986 Take It To Heart

John Renbourn 2002 Sir John Alot Of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng & Ye Grene Knyghte

John Renbourn 2006 So Early In The Spring

Julian Bream 1983 Julian Bream Plays Granados And Albeniz Music Of Spain Vol. 5

LA Guitar Quartet 1993 Dances from Renaissance to Nutcracker

Michael Hedges 1981 Breakfast In The Field

Michael Hedges 1984 Aerial Boundaries

Salero-Sonnenberg/Assads 1999 Nadja Salero-Sonnenberg/Sergio & Odair Assad

Pepe Romero 1992 Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez, Fantasía para un gentilhombre

Rahul Sharma 2000 Music of the Himalayas

Ravi Shankar 1999 India's Master Musician

Sara K. 1994 Play On Words

Sérgio & Odair Assad 2001 Play Piazzolla

Sérgio & Odair Assad 2007 Jardim Abandonado

Various Artists 2000 Gypsy Fire

Edited by Chris A

The best acoustic recording of music of the kind I like is Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall 1971, which is available on CD, DVD and double LP.

I haven't heard the LP, but I have the CD and DVD, and the DVD sounds great!  The video quality is poor at best, but that's okay, because the audio is amazing.  How amazing?  Enough that it felt like I had totally rediscovered this music and this musician.  On this recording, I can hear subtleties in Neil's guitar and piano playing, and his voice, that I hadn't realized he was capable of.  Everyone who has heard it on my system says the same thing.  We did not know Neil Young was this good.

On this Amazon page, the recording gets five stars from 92% of reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Massey-Hall-1971/dp/B000MTPANG#customerReviews

If you get the CD, be sure to get the deluxe edition that includes the DVD.  It's only a couple of dollars more, and the DVD is clearly better-sounding.  You also get to see and hear the old man who inspired the song.

You can even get it from the Neil Young store:  http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/live-at-massey-hall-cd-dvd-91453.html

The best acoustic recording of music of the kind I like is Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall 1971, which is available on CD, DVD and double LP.

I haven't heard the LP, but I have the CD and DVD, and the DVD sounds great!  The video quality is poor at best, but that's okay, because the audio is amazing.  How amazing?  Enough that it felt like I had totally rediscovered this music and this musician.  On this recording, I can hear subtleties in Neil's guitar and piano playing, and his voice, that I hadn't realized he was capable of.  Everyone who has heard it on my system says the same thing.  We did not know Neil Young was this good.

On this Amazon page, the recording gets five stars from 92% of reviewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Massey-Hall-1971/dp/B000MTPANG#customerReviews

If you get the CD, be sure to get the deluxe edition that includes the DVD.  It's only a couple of dollars more, and the DVD is clearly better-sounding.  You also get to see and hear the old man who inspired the song.

You can even get it from the Neil Young store:  http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com/live-at-massey-hall-cd-dvd-91453.html

I can tell you the LP is also spectacular. Fantastic soundstaging. My tiny music room turns into Massey Hall.

• Like 1

Gypsy Soul: New Flamenco  

Very dynamic and strong instrumentals backing various flamenco and jazz guitarists (Slash even recorded an outstanding track.)  Highly recommended - it could change your life.

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Soul-Flamenco-Various-Artists/dp/B000006FCQ

Cool collection but most of it's from the 70's and 80's

Go back a little farther and you will run across this acoustic flamenco gem:

post-12696-0-63460000-1464650570_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Laurindo Almeida, Virtuoso Guitar is a must

Larry McNeely, Confederation, Sheffield Labs, (guitar and banjo) reissued on CD Town Hall Recordings (Lincoln Mayorga) 

This is a particularly interesting release. Apparently Sheffield did not record this with a backup tape master or something happened to the tape backup. A Sheffield Labs CD of this was never released, only the original direct-to-disk LP. Mayorga had to rip this from an original LP. I have both versions and I think the transfer is amazingly good.

Al Dimeola - This will check your system to make sure it is imaging in stereo properly.  You can just hear the two guitar players sitting on stools, one on the left, one on the right, playing acoustical only.

Check out the entire album, it's pretty good.

Ali Farka Toure/Ry Cooder 1994	Talking Timbuktu

Ana Caram	          1982	The Other Side of Jobim

Ana Caram	          1989	Rio After Dark

Ana Caram	          2001	Blue Bossa

Andrés Segovia	          2004	The Best of

Anouar Brahem	          1991	Barzakh

Bruce BecVar	          1986	Take It To Heart

John Renbourn	          2002	Sir John Alot Of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng & Ye Grene Knyghte

John Renbourn	          2006	So Early In The Spring

Julian Bream 	          1983	Julian Bream Plays Granados And Albeniz Music Of Spain Vol. 5

LA Guitar Quartet	  1993	Dances from Renaissance to Nutcracker

Michael Hedges	          1981	Breakfast In The Field

Michael Hedges	          1984	Aerial Boundaries

Salero-Sonnenberg/Assads  1999	Nadja Salero-Sonnenberg/Sergio & Odair Assad

Pepe Romero 	          1992	Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez, Fantasía para un gentilhombre

Rahul Sharma	          2000	Music of the Himalayas

Ravi Shankar	          1999	India's Master Musician

Sara K.	                  1994	Play On Words

Sérgio & Odair Assad	  2001	Play Piazzolla

Sérgio & Odair Assad	  2007	Jardim Abandonado

Various Artists	          2000	Gypsy Fire

Chris,

Can't wait to listen to your list.  It so happens, my absolute favorite "classical" piece of music is the Concierto de Aranjuez.  I am fortunate (?) to be old enough to have actually seen the Romeros perform live (and Andre Segovia, but not Julian Bream), when I lived in San Francisco.  Back in the 60s!  My ABSOLUTE favorite performance of that piece is the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra, cond. by Eugene Ormandy, and featuring John Williams as the guitarist.  To me, just the right proportions of power, sensitivity, balance, nuance, and controlled--but soaring--emotion.  But, Pepe is not far "behind".

I also very much like Indian sub-continent and East Asian string instruments.

Happy listening!