Suggestions for a good "starter" tube amp for Heresy II's

Anyone have some insight or a good recommendation for a tube amplifier to run a pair of Heresy II's?

I've been reading a little about the

Jolida FX-10,

and it seems interesting for the price?

Also, Dynaco 70 is a name that keeps popping up

when heresy with tubes are mentioned.

There's also amps like the

Eastern Electric MiniMax,

and the ONIX SP30, and Mini Watt Amplifiers.

Then... My curiosity led me to read up on "chip amps", gainclones, and such...

There's a TOPPING TP-60 that looks pretty cool,

and the DALAUDIO gainclone amps too!

Does anyone have any experience

with any of these amps with heresys ?

Or should I just look for a

restored Marantz or Sansui Cap-Coupled integrated amp or receiver from the 70's era?

...anyone?

I'm very pleased with the way ST70'S drive my Heresys and Heresy III'S.

I can't comment on the other amps you mentioned.

I would also consider an H.H. Scott 222 B or C depending on condition though they are integrated amps, they do bring out the best in Heresys.

Cheers

• Like 2

Hey mossy bottom,

It's funny you should say that...

I just spoke to guy who is selling his Scott 222,

It's in absolutely BEAUTIFUL condition.

And it's in total stock form.

But he wants $900, and I can't afford that much right now, but this thing is in such amazing condition, I might ask him if he would take a deposit on it, and allow me some time to pay the Balance and then bring it home.

I just know that if I hear it hooked to the heresys, I'd love it.

• Like 1

Hey mossy bottom,

But he wants $900, and I can't afford that much right now, but this thing is in such amazing condition, I might ask him if he would take a deposit on it, and allow me some time to pay the Balance and then bring it home.

Hey mossy bottom,

If you really have interest in a HH Scott, there is a HH Scott 222c for sale on the forum that has been restored up to original specifications and it appears that he has some room in his price to negotiate (I assume since he states reasonable offers). I have bought items from the seller in the past and the transactions have been executed hassle free.

I pulled the first post and a couple of pictures from the link below.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162713-fs-hh-scott-222c-refurbed-by-nos-valves-75000/

I am going forth with selling my Scott. Its a great integrated stereo, I just need to sell it ( well don't need to, just think its my best option) to fund other audio adventures.

Up for sale is a H.H. Scott 222c refurbished by NOSvalves, roughly two years ago. There are a couple slight issues. One is that the volume seems to faint in the right channel. Until i turn the knob past the 12 oclock position. Then it comes in fine. I will try some deoxit on it this afternoon and see what happens. Second i chipped one of the bias knobs when i first received it. However you are still able the bias it just fine with pliers. Replacing it shouldn't be to complex, if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Asking $750.00 O.B.O. plus shipping. Located in Omaha, NE where local pick up is always welcome.

pm me with questions or reasonable offer.

ba0b7caa29d776c0820d563c31aa6d70.jpg

9e5246467acf3ad894ba4836b3454338.jpg

• Like 1

Hey mossy bottom,

If you really have interest in a HH Scott, there is a HH Scott 222c for sale on the forum that has been restored up to original specifications and it appears that he has some room in his price to negotiate (I assume since he states reasonable offers). I have bought items from the seller in the past and the transactions have been executed hassle free.

I pulled the first post and a couple of pictures from the link below.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/162713-fs-hh-scott-222c-refurbed-by-nos-valves-75000/

I am going forth with selling my Scott. Its a great integrated stereo, I just need to sell it ( well don't need to, just think its my best option) to fund other audio adventures.

Up for sale is a H.H. Scott 222c refurbished by NOSvalves, roughly two years ago. There are a couple slight issues. One is that the volume seems to faint in the right channel. Until i turn the knob past the 12 oclock position. Then it comes in fine. I will try some deoxit on it this afternoon and see what happens. Second i chipped one of the bias knobs when i first received it. However you are still able the bias it just fine with pliers. Replacing it shouldn't be to complex, if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Asking $750.00 O.B.O. plus shipping. Located in Omaha, NE where local pick up is always welcome.

pm me with questions or reasonable offer.

ba0b7caa29d776c0820d563c31aa6d70.jpg

9e5246467acf3ad894ba4836b3454338.jpg

If I were looking for tube power, I would jump on this Scott. Heck, I'm not looking for one, but this offer makes me feel like I should be...

Good luck.

I run my Heresy 1's with a Dynaco ST70 and Dynaco PAS 3 preamp, and find it to be awesome. I've also heard Heresy's powered by McIntosh MC60's, Peachtree Audio, Will Vincent ST70& Mk3's, they have sounded great with all of these tube amps. Maybe building one of the new ST70 kits would be a good option for you, http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

Edited by Stump
  • Like 1

Anyone have some insight or a good recommendation for a tube amplifier to run a pair of Heresy II's?

I've been reading a little about the

Jolida FX-10,

and it seems interesting for the price?

Also, Dynaco 70 is a name that keeps popping up

when heresy with tubes are mentioned.

There's also amps like the

Eastern Electric MiniMax,

and the ONIX SP30, and Mini Watt Amplifiers.

Then... My curiosity led me to read up on "chip amps", gainclones, and such...

There's a TOPPING TP-60 that looks pretty cool,

and the DALAUDIO gainclone amps too!

Does anyone have any experience

with any of these amps with heresys ?

Or should I just look for a

restored Marantz or Sansui Cap-Coupled integrated amp or receiver from the 70's era?

...anyone?

Sounds like you are open on the question of Solid State, and tube or hybrids.

Then there is the is the question of Class A, AB, B, D, or T

Are you planning on running a Turn Table or Digital or Both??

What is the budget you have for the amp? The Heresys are reasonably efficient 99db so you don't need hundreds of watts.

If you are seriously considering a way back Tube Amp, be sure you get one from a master re-builder, it won't be cheap.

If you want the best of the ancient Tube Amps IMHO, get two McIntosh MC-30s, I think they go for around $1600.00 ea.

I'll wait for your responses.....

Edited by Bubo

If you can find one - the Onix SP3 is a great value. It's a 56 pound beast that has a real preamp section (as opposed to just a volume control). It exhibits a very strong and smooth 38 watts, and sounds very good. Build quality is amazing for the money. They originally sold for $1200, but can be found for $600 - $800. Prices went up on the used market after people began figuring out how good they were.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/onix/onix.html

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/onix-sp3-integrated-tube-amplifier.html