Playlist 50th Reunions Class of '67?

DizRotus

The Letter

Definitely included.  The lead singer in the Boxtops was a 17 yo white boy.  People were always asking where is the older black man who they assumed was the lead singer.

Edited by DizRotus

• 2 weeks later...

A friend had a hard drive with the top Billboard hits from 1950 - 2004, so the bulk of the rich music available is covered.  It still remains to locate and include worthy songs that were not hits.  The other side of the coin is whether to exclude"hits" that were bad songs.  

I'm listening to the full version of each song to be included.  The former school teacher in me knows better than to play something for the class that I didn't listen to first.

As to deleting bad "hit" songs, that is a form of censorship, which I'm generally against.  So far I've not felt the need to exercise a veto.  As that occurs, I'll run it past this group for feedback.

Think about it.  The average top 40 song was ~2.5 minutes.  Multiply by 100 for 1964 and that's 300 minutes, or 5 hours.  Now multiply by 4 years and that's 20 hours without repeats.  Since there are definitely songs to be added that did not make the top 100, I will delete marginal songs with no qualms.

Edited by DizRotus

Think about it.  The average top 40 song was ~2.5 minutes.  Multiply by 100 for 1964 and that's 300 minutes, or 5 hours.  Now multiply by 4 years and that's 20 hours without repeats.  Since there are definitely songs to be added that did not make the top 100, I will delete marginal songs with no qualms.

You could put all that on a single disc in DVD Audio (if you don't care about the quality). I did it with most of what Simon & Garfunkel did together and apart.

Storage and/or playback is not a problem

I'm about half way through Billboard's Top 100 1964 and have deleted 5 and labeled 8 as suspects. What I'm finding is that some unfamiliar hits by artists such as Dean Martin, Andy Williams or Sammy Davis Jr. were hits because my parents' generation bought them; they won't make the cut, for the most part.

Edited by DizRotus

The lead singer in the Boxtops was a 17 yo white boy. Pepole were always asking where is the older black man who they assumed was the lead singer.
I used to live in Memphis, where they were from. Alex Chilton died in 2010. The group had reformed and had been doing a lot of touring.

Bruce

• Like 1

It's Father's Day, I'm sittin' on the deck and working on this project.  I'm a little more than half way though '65.  

One thing I've noticed is that the songs sound much better coming from my DIY stereo boombox than they did from the single dash mounted speaker in my dad's 63 Olds.  For example, #46 A Walk in the Black Forest, by Horst Jankowski.  I can hear strings I never noticed in '65.  The playback system is enough better to more than compensate for nearly five decades of hearing degradation.

• 3 months later...