Preferred Repair Techs

oldtimer

I've sent a few items to www.just-audio.com/ here in MD they are just outside of Baltimore. They did a Carver TFM-55, Carver PM-1.5, Pioneer Elite PD-F19 CD changer and a Sony ES-801 CD player. I might add, half way through the Sony repair they called and said one of the parts they needed has been discontinued. I told them I have two parts units laying around (I got these parts unit 10 years ago just for a situation like this) They said sure bring em in... A week later.... fixed and ready  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

I also bought a nice Carver 4.0t from them.... they deal in used gear also... and they knocked $50 bucks off the price of the unit..

I like em...

MKP :-)

Where do you send your gear to get repaired?  Pitch in and maybe we can make a list of shops by region for the highest rated.

My audio repair experience has been limited to vintage tube gear components, and heritage speakers through these places.

1.) Audio Classics (Tuner Master, Richard Modafferi)

I think it's fair to say that most of the old dogs in here are aware of Audio Classics. They can be pricey, but I think it's safe to say you get what you paid for, especially when your gear goes to Richard Modafferi. He has rebuilt 3 Tuners for me, 2 McIntosh MR71's and a Marantz 10B. His work is absolutely stellar, nothing short of absolute perfection... but he's getting up in age, and must be in his upper 70's by now; So don't sit around thinking about it for too much longer, if you have a vintage tuner, get it to him ASAP. He's magical.

2.) NOS Valves  (The Man!! -- Craig Otsby, forum member NOSValves)

Craig's work is outstanding, he's rebuilt 4 McIntosh MR60's, as well as my precious C22 Pre Amp. Absolutely love his work, clean is the best way to describe it. The tube gear he's fixed or refurbished for me still works flawlessly to this day. Craig also built a pair of special VRD's, and they are perfect sounding. Dead silent, pure clean Class A. If you ever buy a something from Craig, take a look under the hood, the work is so damn clean. I think he's a real craftsman. What the Amish are to wood, Craig is to vintage tube amps, and tube pre's. Nothing short of perfect.

3.) McIntosh Audio (Terry DeWick)

McIntosh Audio's Terry DeWick, I have not personally sent gear to him, but I did pay a relatively high price for a NOS looking C22, that Terry had recently repaired. I paid a premium only because it came from the original owner and he offered me a McIntosh Audio yellow receipt with Terry's sign-off on the unit. When I plugged it in, I thought it sounded good, but there were multiple issues. Switches did not function (they did nothing), and the knobs (rheostats) were filthy, resulting in a hell of a lot of static just from touching them. Long story short, I sent it to Craig, who went through it with a fine tooth come. When I got it back from Craig, and hooked-it-up I was instantly pleased, it was the Wow-What a difference effect!. To be fair, I have heard a number of guys in here that have good luck and speak well of Terry DeWick's work, so maybe my experience was a fluke.

4.) SpeakerWorks (ask for David Miller)

David at SpeakerWorks performs excellent work. You may have to wait your turn, but he is worth the wait. He has repaired and rebuilt a few woofers and mids for my Cornwalls, and one set of klipsch crossovers. His work is very clean, and the price is reasonable.

On a side-note, if your in the market for vintage gear (SS and especially Tubed), you need to visit his shop. He does not advertise any of the gear. Walking into one of the rooms in his shop is like stepping into a time capsule. Wall to wall vintage audio gear sitting on racks; McIntosh, Marantz, Technics', Luxman, Scott, Fisher; it was incredible, it's like a candy store, and every component was in excellent to pristine "looking" condition; but beware, he knows what he's got, and he isn't cheap. I did not buy any vintage gear from him, as I thought his prices were too high, but his repair work is reasonable and his work is excellent.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 3

Many here have advertised their businesses here on the forum in the past and was told this was no longer allowed.

Cannot see how this would be much different in any way.

I'm quite certain that Klipsch will not have any problem at all with members sharing information about repair work.

Still looking for anyone credible for SS repair in Ohio, Western Pa. or Northern W.V.  anyone?

Paul 79

Paul Hovenga http://www.manymoonsaudio.com/

Has done all my work for the last decade. Even before he opened his own shop. None better.

Does anyone know if Paul Hovenga is still actively working on audio gear? I have sent an email to the address listed on his website, and called the phone number on his website. No response to the email in over a week, and there was no answer at the phone number. The call went to a voicemail that had not been customized; it just said "you have reached the voicemail box of...." and gave the phone number.

I posted an inquiry about this here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/164924-looking-for-vintage-gear-technician-recommendations/

but have not gotten any responses (other than a 'welcome' from one forum member).

Thanks,

Opus

Northern Colorado: The Sound Doctor in Loveland...authorized repair for all the biggies, so there is invariably a back-log of work (about two weeks generally, which isn't bad).  He likes to work on the old stuff too, including tube gear, although he's more of a ss person.  He has an Ampzilla in his own primary rig.  Real nice fellow too.

In north east Ohio I have used this guy for tube recap/ repair. I have asked him about ss  but have not taken any there

located near Ravenna 

copied from cl

01414_34GsmcPsN0f_600x450.jpg

He's only about 30 minutes from me so thanks for the info.  I'll have to stop in and speak with him and actually have a few homes going in around Ravenna

Paul 79

Has done all my work for the last decade. Even before he opened his own shop. None better.

Does anyone know if Paul Hovenga is still actively working on audio gear? I have sent an email to the address listed on his website, and called the phone number on his website. No response to the email in over a week, and there was no answer at the phone number. The call went to a voicemail that had not been customized; it just said "you have reached the voicemail box of...." and gave the phone number.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/164924-looking-for-vintage-gear-technician-recommendations/

but have not gotten any responses (other than a 'welcome' from one forum member).

Thanks,

Opus

Paul was out of town for a few weeks. I just picked up four units from him a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

I do repairs in the Boston area, specializing in vintage solid state amps and preamps. I can also modify electronics to reduce noise and distortion in many cases. It can be made to work better than new.

Usually I buy broken items and sell working items, but this model has led me to accumulate too much stuff that I don't want to sell. So I'm considering a fee-for-repair-service model. This isn't my real job, it's just a hobby; time scales involved may reflect that.

• Like 1

Paul 79

Thanks,

Opus

Paul was out of town for a few weeks. I just picked up four units from him a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks! I'll try to contact him again.