Just Ordered My First Drone (DJI Phantom 4)!

Youthman

If I had one, I would want to try it out over water but I have this sinking (pun again) feeling that it will be at the bottom of the lake in no time. I was actually thinking if they make floats or pontoons or whatever that would allow them to float should they find their way into water. I'm gonna watch this thread and see how it goes for you. Thanks for being the Guinea Pig and keep em coming!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
If I had one, I would want to try it out over water but I have this sinking (pun again) feeling that it will be at the bottom of the lake in no time.

I haven't flown mine over water yet but if you think about it, the Phantom doesn't know it is flying under water.  It uses the same GPS satellites and barometer no matter what the structure looks like beneath it.  I'll take my first flight over water in 2 weeks when I visit wakejunkie to pick up my new cabinet for my HT!

I was actually thinking if they make floats or pontoons or whatever that would allow them to float should they find their way into water.

Lots of guys have made them - Link

Thanks for being the Guinea Pig and keep em coming!!

Will do!

I guess the P4 avoidance is worth the extra money over the P3 huh?

That was one of several reasons I bought the P4 over the P3 Professional.  I fly it as if I do not have Obstacle Avoidance.  You should never depend on a feature like that but it sure is nice to have it if you need it.

• Moderators
You need to look up the video from tonight's America's Got Talent. They had a Japanese lady's dance group with about 25 synchronized illuminated drones flying around them. It was awesome.

Just watched it.  Pretty interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
Any updates on the flying?

Sorry, not much "updates" over the past week....it's been quite hectic.  We are in the middle of VBS (children's ministry) and Wild Week (youth) at our church so that has consumed all of my time this week but it ends tonight at 9pm.  My wife, son and one of my daughters are leaving tomorrow morning for a Missions Trip in Mexico.  I have to take them to the airport at 4am (remember me saying I'm not a morning person).

Was it worth it?

ABSOLUTELY! The Phantom 4 is soooo much fun to fly.  It's really incredible watching 1st person view on my iPad exactly what the P4 sees while in flight.  I can't wait to take it to Alabama this weekend when I visit Shaun.  Hoping to get some great shots and include it in a video for the build thread.

Easier to fly now?

Honestly, it's easy to fly from the beginning.  GPS Positioning allows the bird to hover anytime you let go of the sticks.  You just have to be really careful when you are flying with objects nearby (houses, power lines, trees etc).  Once you get above those things, you pretty much have free reign to fly without the fear of crashing into anything.

Delivering for Amazon now?

No plans myself but apparently guys on youtube are now delivering beer to their friends and neighbors.  LOL

I did use the Phantom 4 during Wild Week one night when we played Kick Ball Slip n Slide.  I bought 4 sheets of 12' x 50', 4 kiddie swimming pools and a kickball.  Once they kick the ball, they have to run and slide into the base (ie swimming pool).  The youth has a blast.  I'll share the video once I get it edited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hows it going with the drone flying? My son and I have been looking at them. Here is an up and coming drone company with a nice looking product. Wonder how they compare with the Phantom products. Certainly not cheap, but not as expensive as the Phantom 4 either.

Yuneec-Q500-Typhoon-3-Axis-Gimbal-Camera-Quadcopter-Drone-Case-32GB-Card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yuneec-Q500-Typhoon-3-Axis-Gimbal-Camera-Quadcopter-Drone-Case-32GB-Card/311642597440?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D74a4caf1f656472d80fb5bc660747cc1%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D22%26sd%3D361379708032

Edited by JL Sargent

• Moderators

I haven't flown much lately.  Spent 107hrs in 1 week renovating my home theater.  Took a week off from work to do that and now am trying to get caught back up.  I've heard of Yuneec and watched some videos on it.  Just don't know much about them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

For the past 10 years I have used Adobe Premier Pro. But unfortunately I have an older version premiere Pro 2.0 and it would not edit the videos from the DJI phantom or my go Pro 4. I found some free professional software called DaVinci Resolve. It's perfect for my needs. The paid version is $1000 and the main benefit is it will export as 4K video and you have more color correction features

Drones too!
Oh yeah, this is an area for a lot of topics to get debated and talked about. There's another, but you need a very high post count to get in. The reasoning being that if you are able to be civil long enough to get the high post counts, you can go there and say whatever you want. I look once in a while, but it is usually the same thing over and over and over...

Welcome to the forums, btw. Do you have speakers? Klispch?

Bruce