SOLD: Custom Chorus (Cherry)

Matthews

4 hours ago, Shaun K said:

Maybe that's overkill for such a small room though :unsure:

Shaun your on the Klipsch site..... (overkill) that word doesn't apply here;)

Really.... congrats on a FINE set of Chorus.... One of my favorite.... and Matt & Mookie did a GREAT job.....

100% agree with jjptkd..... 20 watts will get em jumping..... but they can take crazy power..... I power my Chorus I's & II's with the bigger Carvers... TFM-55 or 55x ..... when those power needles start jumping past 300+ watts it's like a wall of sound hittin ya.... you can just feel it in ya chest. 

Again congrats & enjoy...

and a congrats to Matt also....

MKP :-)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 4:06 PM, Matthews said:

Look forward to meeting you, Shaun. I used to run the Chorus with a Yamaha M-65 (170 wpc). Love the old Yammy M-series gear. If I were in the market, I'd be looking into a Yamaha M-80 to run these with. Just my personal preference of course. 

When you come to pick them up, I will have em' hooked up to a little Yamaha integrated for you to demo. They are gonna knock your socks off :D

Matt

My basement AVR is only 80wpc, but I hope to move up to something better in the next few months.  As much as I'd like to stick try out 2-channel, or tubes, or an old school reciever...I just don't know how I'd make that work in a room where the primary inputs will be HDMI.

On 9/21/2016 at 5:15 PM, cincymat said:

Congrats to Shaun and Matthews. The Chorus speakers look fabulous. I saw them when I picked up my La Scalas from Matthews a few weeks back.  Absolute works of art, my La Scalas and Shaun's new Chorus speakers!  

Make Matthews take you for a ride in Little Miss Sunshine. That should clear a few cobwebs after a long drive from mpls..

Mark

Hah, I showed a pic of the 'vette to my son when I bought these speakers, and he was excited to see it.  Too bad he won't be here when I head down to pick them up!

On 9/21/2016 at 6:23 PM, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Shaun your on the Klipsch site..... (overkill) that word doesn't apply here;)

Really.... congrats on a FINE set of Chorus.... One of my favorite.... and Matt & Mookie did a GREAT job.....

100% agree with jjptkd..... 20 watts will get em jumping..... but they can take crazy power..... I power my Chorus I's & II's with the bigger Carvers... TFM-55 or 55x ..... when those power needles start jumping past 300+ watts it's like a wall of sound hittin ya.... you can just feel it in ya chest. 

Again congrats & enjoy...

and a congrats to Matt also....

Thanks!  (I know it's belated, I've been working 60 hour weeks lately and just haven't had time to get on here).  I'm really excited to see/hear these soon!  I'm torn on whether to give them serious power via something like an Outlaw 975/5000 combo, or find some way to make tubes work with home theater and video.  Or just stick with my Onkyo AVR I guess.

I've found that a good 300 watts is what it takes to fully drive these speakers to their limit. They can take more but its not really needed. 200 watts will get you to about roughly 80% output, which is still seriously loud. This is judging by use of the Sunfire amplifiers, 200x5, 300x2 and 600x2. I've ran them with several other brands as well with similar results.

Depending on how close you are to the speakers and the size and shape of your room and how loud you plan on listening it is quite possible to enjoy these wonderful speakers with just a few watts or less. I've often times joked about being able to power my Chorus speakers with an alarm clock radio.

Those speakers are very beautiful, If I had been within a days drive of them they would have sold immediately! Congrats again to both of you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've found that a good 300 watts is what it takes to fully drive these speakers to their limit. They can take more but its not really needed. 200 watts will get you to about roughly 80% output, which is still seriously loud. This is judging by use of the Sunfire amplifiers, 200x5, 300x2 and 600x2. I've ran them with several other brands as well with similar results.

Depending on how close you are to the speakers and the size and shape of your room and how loud you plan on listening it is quite possible to enjoy these wonderful speakers with just a few watts or less. I've often times joked about being able to power my Chorus speakers with an alarm clock radio.

Those speakers are very beautiful, If I had been within a days drive of them they would have sold immediately! Congrats again to both of you!

They are going into a small room, 11x13.  The speakers will be on the short wall so they won't be very far apart either (debating whether I even need a center channel for now).

Currently plan to power them with  my smaller Onkyo AVR, which according to specs pushes 105wpc with 2 channels driven.

Yeah that's a small room, your Receiver should have plenty of power. Center channels are great for TV, just make sure you get the biggest and best one you can. I run strictly 2 channels for music as the center seems to get in the way. Really like having the center speaker for watching TV though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yeah that's a small room, your Receiver should have plenty of power. Center channels are great for TV, just make sure you get the biggest and best one you can. I run strictly 2 channels for music as the center seems to get in the way. Really like having the center speaker for watching TV though.

I have a couple centers here, and I always use one for movies/tv since they seem to mix most of the dialog into that channel.  Listening to a movie on 2-channel is frustrating, especially with my poor hearing.  I'm just not sure I need to use my big one (KLF-C7) in this room, but I suppose it would better match for the Chorus than my little center (KV2)

Music is always 2-channel of course :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've found that a good 300 watts is what it takes to fully drive these speakers to their limit.

+1

Once those power needles start jumping into that 300+ watt range on my TFM-55 it's like the flood gates of music hittin ya:P

and no I don't listen to them all the time like that... but you know there are some tracks you just want to feel the music...

• Like 1

On 10/13/2016 at 10:34 AM, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

+1

Once those power needles start jumping into that 300+ watt range on my TFM-55 it's like the flood gates of music hittin ya:P

and no I don't listen to them all the time like that... but you know there are some tracks you just want to feel the music...

Well, someone has offered me a pair of NHT A1 monoblocks (250wpv @ 6ohms) in trade for my Epic CF-2's...maybe that'll be enough power?

Well I was finally able to make the trek down to Missouri this week and pick up these beautiful speakers from @Matthews

I took off at a good time, but leaving your phone at home is a bad idea as this will only add time to the journey.  After doubling back a bit, I got back on track and in no time I found myself in Iowa:

2016-10-20 11.37.34.jpg

I don't know how I was able to shoot a tractor on the overpass right then, but maybe that's pretty normal in Iowa :)

I had lunch with a coworker in Des Moines, and after that I proceeded to get lost while trying to find my way to the Missouri border.  After a few nav snafu's I was in the right direction:

2016-10-20 17.33.45.jpg

A couple of hours and a few more nav issues later, I was at Matthews doorstep!.  We spent some time listening to the Chorus as well as his beautifully refinished LaScalas.  His tube amps are fantastic, and the wireless DAC is something I really need to look into for my living room.

The drive home was a little longer since I decided to take the interstate through Kansas City instead of taking the back roads.  I love me some BBQ but it was probably for the best that everything was closed when I pulled through at around 11PM, otherwise I still might not be home :)

After a nap at a rest stop in northern Iowa I finally got home at about 7:30 AM.  Total trip was over 1000 miles and about 20 hours.  It was a little chilly this morning but I was able to move the speakers into the house and unload the car before grabbing a little more sleep:

2016-10-21 07.45.05.jpg

2016-10-21 07.50.25.jpg

Hell of a trip and it was totally worth it.  Thank you @Matthews for the hospitality and for holding these speakers until I could get down there to pick them up.

More pics will come once I have my little movie/listening room all in place!  I only moved into this house a couple months ago so things are still a little chaotic.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Shaun K said:

Hell of a trip and it was totally worth it.  Thank you @Matthews for the hospitality and for holding these speakers until I could get down there to pick them up.

It was my pleasure, Shaun :emotion-21:

I am glad the Custom Chorus finally found a good home.  Now we just need to get you some good juice.  They are going to blow your socks off :D

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Weber said:

Perfect start. 

:)

You think so, and I think so...but wait until my wife gets home tomorrow and we'll see if we have a quorum ;)

3 hours ago, Matthews said:

It was my pleasure, Shaun :emotion-21:

I am glad the Custom Chorus finally found a good home.  Now we just need to get you some good juice.  They are going to blow your socks off :D

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Thanks Matt, it was great to meet you.  Got your PM about the Adcom amp, I'll look into those and a few others I found locally.  Time to start a new thread for that...

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

DAM those speakers still look awesome.....One of the best re-do jobs. Both me and my son wished we had the cash to buy them but they are going to a forum guy and that's good. ENJOY

Keeping them in the family, so to speak :) .  More pics coming soon once I finish setting them up! 

• Like 2