My La Scalas sound much better in a larger room

homeskizzle

I have a pretty small room with my LaScalas and found when I moved the tweeters back to line up with the mid drivers it made it MUCH better as far as clarity and soundstage. I really want to get a beater pair to clean up and coat with truck bed liner to run outside. I can even get a chip amp and battery and have PORTABLE LaScalas :emotion-21:

• Like 1

My opinion after having same speakers in many different rooms, bigger rooms are always better. That holds true for me in rooms up to 20x30 on even smaller speakers. Better presentation is a nice bonus.

My opinion after having same speakers in many different rooms, bigger rooms are always better. That holds true for me in rooms up to 20x30 on even smaller speakers. Better presentation is a nice bonus.

So true - a big room makes a huge difference.

Someone out there probably wrote some treatise on this next thought - but having speakers appropriately sized for the room definitely makes a difference too. 

So true - a big room makes a huge difference.

It's all in the wavelengths, which is a tough pill to swallow.

It needs to be said:  8 foot ceilings suck for acoustics. :emotion-55:

10-11' are an improvement.

15' or greater is ideal....for any full range speaker type. :emotion-22:

post-40059-0-16900000-1466538830_thumb.j

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Well if nothing else the second room looks much better, love the bricks also. :D

Glad it sounds better, and yes if you ever get the chance play them outside, it's almost like what they were made for it sounds so good.

This is gonna be a rambling, but maybe it'll be useful to someone out there. 

I had been wanting to upgrade my 55" TV in size since I now sit further away from it. I was trying to get to a 4k TV...but had some things being prohibitive - HDR vs. DV (and the Vizio P series being the only TV that does both); I wanted at least a 70", but more like a 75" TV and would have to pay a premium to get over the current 65" 4k TV sweet spot; lack of current 4k titles; my receiver isn't 4k compatible; don't have UHD player.  

To me it came down to this - what would be more impressive for movie watching and big time sports events - a 70 or 75 inch 4k TV or a 120" projector? 

Ultimately I decided to get a projector and 120" screen. Thanks to this forum and AVS (and projectorcentral) I was able to answer most of the regular questions to determine what I should buy. The biggest factor was that my room has ambient lighting - so when I heard the Epson 3500 described as a "light cannon" by multiple sources, I knew it was the one for me. 

The throw distance can be anywhere from 12.5 feet to 16 feet. The room is a dedicated man cave, but not free from ambient lighting. 2 out of 3 windows have black out curtains. 3 has regular blinds. 

Viewing distance will be between 9 and 10 feet. 

Screen size is 120"

I can't wait for projector and screen to arrive! 

Yes, that is my experience too. At some distance the sound from the various horns melds together into more of a point-source. I used to put my LSI-BG splits out on the driveway and from about 30 it was just astonishing! 

I recently moved and haven't changed anything with my setup other than the room. I went from a 12Wx30Lx8H room to a 15Wx20Lx10.5H converted garage and the difference to me was astounding. The overall volume of the rooms isn't too different. My seating distance in the old room was about 7 feet from the center channel and now I'm back to about 10 or 11 feet.

There are some very good reasons why it will sound better in your new room:

1) La Scalas, like Khorns, need to be several feet from your listening position in order to "coalesce" into a more-or-less single image (due mostly to time misalignment of tweeter-midrange).  If you move the tweeters to the top of their cabinets and move to the back of to align with the midrange driver, you will hear much more improvement in the imaging.

2) Higher ceiling is a big, big deal.  The Heritage series of midrange horns all have collapsing polars and will improve their in-room performance when there is sufficient carpet absorption on the floor and the first reflections from the ceiling bounce are further than the typical eight-feet ceilings.

3) Getting the La Scalas spread wider increases the sense of envelopment (LEV) and Apparent Source Width (ASW) fairly dramatically, which are the two biggies in terms of realism of reproduction.

Some of the above is discussed in Toole's excellent book.

Chris

I must read this book ! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

For sure.  My original plan was to use a 50" Plasma so I used masking tape to draw out the exact size to see how it would look. 

As soon as I did it, I was so underwhelmed and knew that wasn't what I was going for and would not provide me the Cinema experience I was looking for.

I decided on the 103" screen and although that sounds large, it never really was "immersive".  Now with a 150"....it's IMMERSIVE!  LOL

theater_room_01.jpg

• Like 2