"The Revenant" film....

jimjimbo

Finally got the time to watch this film via BluRay...hard to describe, other than the usual words associated with this type of movie...can't believe that it didn't win Best Picture....incredible story. 

Probably because it was essentially a remake of the 1971 Richard Harris film 'Man in the Wilderness' and hardly original.

Probably because it was loosely based on a true story... you should have seen it on the big screen.

As with gravity, its a very different experience on a home monitor versus the big screen.

Edited by Schu

As with gravity, its a very different experience on a home monitor versus the big screen.

I'm pretty excited for July, as the local theatre that brought 70mm back to show Hateful 8 last year will be showing 2001: Space Odyssey, Lawrence of Arabia and Aliens; all in 70mm. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Sorry for any thread hack.

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited for July, as the local theatre that brought 70mm back to show Hateful 8 last year will be showing 2001: Space Odyssey, Lawrence of Arabia and Aliens; all in 70mm. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

I'd be in line getting 2001 tickets

• Like 1

I'd be in line getting 2001 tickets

My that's a lot of tickets......you must have a large family :)

• Like 4

I have seen every single one of those movies in 70mm... DO NOT MISS any of those!

• Like 1

Also could have been called, "DeCaprio's Bad Camping Trip".

I'm with Jim, best picture of the year.

The Martian was good too - "Matt Damon Grows Potatoes!"

"The Hateful 8" was a waste. I tried to watch it twice and kept falling asleep.

I've seen "Aliens" five or six times - I'm done with that one.

I would like to see the Director's Cut of "The Abyss" on a large screen - that would be pretty cool.

Edited by Deang

Revenant photography was the most stunning ive ever seen in a movie, period. From the beginning camera shot where they dont move away from the brutal scenes until the end you feel that cold-hearted wilderness almost the same as in Gravity - unlivable.

A little Revenant trivia, the bear scene, which was one of the most intense scenes I had seen in a long time was actually done by a man in a bear suit. For some reason that was kind of a let down when I read that.   

Most of the outdoor scenes in that film were shot in the foothills and Eastern slopes of the Alberta Rockies. About 40 miles from my backyard which is also in the foothills. It is pretty scenic there but not nearly as senic as the area along highway 22 which is 45 southwest of here. Clint Eastwood shot much of the film Unforgiven off highway 22.

• Like 1

To make things short.

The 2001 movie is sort of Classics Illustrated for the magnificent book by A.C. Clarke, which you should read.  I'll add that you should read Childhood's End even before that.  They are bookends to Clarke's stories on transcendence -- and (gulp) alien intervention.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

To make things short.

The 2001 movie is sort of Classics Illustrated for the magnificent book by A.C. Clarke, which you should read.  I'll add that you should read Childhood's End even before that.  They are bookends to Clarke's stories on transcendence -- and (gulp) alien intervention.

WMcD

Arthur C. Clarke said that the book and movie were written simultaneously "with feedback in both directions."  [see The Lost Worlds of 2001 by Clarke].  He said that, before he and Kubrick started writing, Kubrick gave him a book by Joseph Campbell and said, "Here, read this."  To me, the book is a very concrete thread through the movie, perhaps a little too concrete. The movie is more of a hypnotic experience, and one that I'll never forget.  If anyone is going to see it in 70 mm, I'd recommend sitting very close ... I hope you get a good print, not an old faded one.  I saw it on a deeply curved screen 85 feet wide across the chord of the arc.  For a later viewing, we sat in the front row center.  It was still sharp down there, and beyond belief. No drugs were involved.  One thing the movie can provide that the book does not is the nearly numinous feeling that occurs for the first time during the opening titles, as we hear "Thus Spake Zarathustra" (aka "Also Sprach Zarathustra").

Edited by garyrc

There is no point commenting on 2001 because there has been so much written about it. 

I will point out that when released there mixed reviews.  "When I first saw it I thought Kubric is insane.  The second time I saw I thought he was is a genius."  That is a good synopsis. 

It had its own evolution in culture.  At the start it was a little dangerous to say that you appreciated it because serious people dismissed it as just too weird, as were people who liked it.  A few decades later I mentioned to a lady friend that it was the best science fiction movie ever made.  She shrugged.

These years it consistently appears on most Top Ten lists. 

= = = =  =

As much as Kubric and his magnificent special effects crew are worthy of respect for creating visualizations I believe that much of the appeal is from A.C. Clarke's plot. 

He was a great writer and fortunately there are many novels, novellas, and short stories by him.  Very appealing to the scientist and engineer. 

One example of tribute is the Mars Odyssey.  How do all those neat rovers get data back to earth?  They don't have the power to do it alone.

http://www.space.com/18270-mars-odyssey.html.

= = = = =

The first A.C. Clarke I read was Sun Jammer (light sails in orbit) in BSA's Boy's Life.  It does not seem that this was written for the young adult at all.  Quite a change from stories, call them kid's stories, otherwise in the mag. 

On that subject, he did write one novel for young adults called Dolphin Island - People of the Sea.  There is a problem in writing for young adult in that the readers are brainy, and any dumbing down is immediately detected and offensive.  He did okay with a few exceptions.  The tale of human interaction with cetaceans was ahead of its time.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD