Theater System for a Friend with $4,000 - $5,000 Budget

Youthman

• Moderators

My friend is building a new house and asked me to help him build a system.  He sent me a link today about this complete system he found in Virginia (he's in Florida).  His wife knows the family so that's good.  He asked me if it was a good deal.  I did some quick research on pricing and sent him this.

Projector selling for $1800 new (can't find any used pricing)

Screen - $1000 (hard to tell cause we don't know the model)

Denon Receiver - $350 - $500

Klipsch RF-62ii - $300

Klipsch RC-62ii - $250

Klipsch RS-42ii - $200

Sub - $200 - $300 New

So let's say....

$1500 - Projector

$1000 - Screen

$350 - Denon

$750 - Klipsch Speakers

$200 - Sub

$3800 Total

I told him "It would be a great system no doubt. Sub might be a bit weak but you can always upgrade that down the road.  Looks like a pretty current system though.  If it were me, and I was interested in the system, I would offer him $3500 cash today.

He would also need to add maybe $400 in travel cost.

So that system would put him at around $4000.  IMO, the RF-62 and the sub are going to be the weak link.

He really wants an RF7 system so I told him if he is patient, we can build it over time and he said he is willing to do that.  I tend to only look at Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota and Lakeland Craigslist so if you guys see something, let me know.

• Like 1

Hmm, tough call.  The problem is if he wants to do a turn-key operation the used market is hit and miss and of course no warranty on the projector or AVR.

I wonder if he could go to AVS.com and put out a WTB ad for a turnkey package with a $4K ceiling?  That would allow him to flex up to a slightly better system and allow money for shipping.

There is nothing to lose by putting it out there and see who responds.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/

Edited by wvu80

Wouldn't make much sense to allocate that much for a used screen on a budget system.  You can spend less than half that and build a nice DIY Seymour screen, same material that's in Lucas's Skywalker Ranch.  You can buy a new completely framed up Seymour with the thick 5" frame for less than that for smaller sizes like that last time I checked.  

Also that Denon model is on closeout, should be able to find a killer deal somewhere.  

A 12" sub that weighs 35 pounds probably isn't worth having or at least buying used.  Might as well get one of those Polks when they go on sale for $159.  

The speakers are probably a good deal.  

The projector... I just saw a nice used JVC go for $2,500.  If you took the extra money you were going to spend on the screen and added it to that projector budget, you're just about to the point where you could get something nicer like that.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

He could drive up to Kansas City and I'll build him some speakers for next to nothing just so I can have the practice.

DIY is an outstanding audio value for the dollar.  That might be an option for Youthman's friend's theater setup, but I didn't even think of that.

+++

I haven't kept up on all your DIY projects Scrappy, but I know you have a couple of DIY subs and maybe a speaker kit or two.  Are you thinking about another DIY project?

Edit:  All I had to do was read your signature, Scrappy.  Four sealed 18"s and several other Diysoundgroup kits is a significant investment into great sound!

I just put together a pair of Overnight Sensations and I did the cabs nicer than my usual kits.  The sound is unbelievable for such small speakers (4" woofer) at such a low price, $135 pr.

overnight_sensation_mt.jpg

Edited by wvu80

If your friend were to take or leave the RF-62 and the sub until it was setup in Florida, I could see him getting a set of RF-7 and a decent sub local, after the fact. So I see it as workable, as you have reasoned.. Thinking I am agreeing. Places mentioned should just about have the 7's and a sub for around a thousand plus/ Will be nice to see what he ends up with.

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

He could drive up to Kansas City and I'll build him some speakers for next to nothing just so I can have the practice.

DIY is an outstanding audio value for the dollar. That might be an option for Youthman's friend's theater setup, but I didn't even think of that.

+++

I haven't kept up on all your DIY projects Scrappy, but I know you have a couple of DIY subs and maybe a speaker kit or two. Are you thinking about another DIY project?

Edit: All I had to do was read your signature, Scrappy. Four sealed 18"s and several other Diysoundgroup kits is a significant investment into great sound!

I just put together a pair of Overnight Sensations and I did the cabs nicer than my usual kits. The sound is unbelievable for such small speakers (4" woofer) at such a low price, $135 pr.

overnight_sensation_mt.jpg

should message me your phone number. I keep up with people a lot more outside this forum regarding my diy stuff.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have been looking at DIY projects myself. I see people gushing over the Joseph Audio Perspectives and how they are the best audio they have ever heard and they run 13k a pair. They run all SEAS drivers from the Excel line. You can build your own box with those drivers for a fraction of the cost from madisound. The tweeters are $291 and the woofers are $262.00. I want to build a speaker using ScanSpeak drivers myself. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yesterday, a pair of RF7 were listed near me for $600 so I contacted the seller and come to find out they were my cherry RF7 a few years ago. I asked if he wanted me to send him a deposit since it would be a day before I could pick them up and he said no, my word was good enough. I was at the beach all day so I would t be able to get to him until this morning. I wake up this morning, get ready to call and noticed he sent a text late last night saying his wife sold them to a guy in Plant City. They would have been perfect. Oh well, the search continues.

• Moderators

So I post a WTB on Craigslist and guess who calls me.....the buyer of the RF-7's.  He wasn't wanting to sell them though.  Guess he just wanted to chit chat about the new speakers he bought.  Told him if he decides he wants to sell them, let me know.  He lives in the same city as me.