Sad Day in Aviation

The History Kid

Both U.S. Display teams have suffered a loss today. The Navy moreso. Earlier today it seems one of the USAF Thunderbirds went down in Colorado - where the pilot ejected safely, and the aircraft crashed without any fatalities.

However, it seems the USN Blue Angels crash in Tennessee took the life of a pilot who avoided an apartment complex.

http://worldwarwings.com/breaking-blue-angel-crashes-in-tn-our-hearts-go-out-to-all-involved?a=mk&var=ww2-angel-crash

:(

Yes, that is sad!  The entire 1st team of the Blue Angels was lost a few years ago, if I recall correctly, in an awful mishap.

Our best and bravest. He was selfless and courageous. 

My Dad was a Naval Academy graduate (Class of 1938), I was a Naval Officer for 5 years, and my son a Marine Corps Officer for four years. 

Heavy heart here.

I mourn for the soldiers lost at Ft Hood as well. 

Fort Hood, Texas: 5 Soldiers Dead and 4 Missing After Vehicle Swept Away in Flood Waters, Army Says

A Light Medium Tactical Vehicle overturned in a creek Thursday, the Army said. Three soldiers were rescued and taken to a hospital, USA Today reported. Heavy rains have hit Texas in recent days.

• Like 1

Yes, that is sad!  The entire 1st team of the Blue Angels was lost a few years ago, if I recall correctly, in an awful mishap.

Our best and bravest. He was selfless and courageous. 

My Dad was a Naval Academy graduate (Class of 1938), I was a Naval Officer for 5 years, and my son a Marine Corps Officer for four years. 

Heavy heart here.

Your information about the entire 1st team of Blues being lost is incorrect....2007 Lt Cmdr Davis crashed in South Carolina.  The last multiple crash was back when I was a child (and that was just two). The Thunderbirds (Airforce) lost their entire team back in 1982 - which remains the worst American Acrobatic (Military) Aviation accident in history - all 4 pilots were lost. 

I too, have a heavy heart as well - I had just finished a funeral service at Barrancas National Cemetery for a survivor of the Nagasaki bombing who later married a Naval Master Chief. I'm also a 12 year naval veteran (Cryptology). I currently live in the P'cola area. 

Edited by prerich
  • Like 1

Your information about the entire 1st team of Blues being lost is incorrect.

prerich, thanks for letting me know, and knowing that "only" one young man was lost. However, there are too often and too many others! 

• Like 1