"Belle Driver Ohm Readings HELP"!

BBZink

Since Budo suggest, i should start a new thread, here it is

I have recently, updated my type AA, to a type A crossover in my Belle.

By the way, since one appear to be louder than the others, i have tough room treatment, but Bubo, suggest a step by step resolution.

first discovery, i had a gain problem on my Bryston, so i sent it to repair, great services, and cheap cost to have all check and tuned.

but when i change crossover, i took reading with ohmmeter (plus on plus and minus on minus)

here's my reading:

Tweeters both side 6.8 ohms

Squawkers both side 10.9

Woofers left side 4.0 and right side 5.4? does this reading matters in a way that one speaker seems more prominent than the other?

The difference reading on woofer, is it significative to have impression that the sound is more left that right?

or this reading are in the spec and nothing to worry about for my Belle?

Also how i replace a woofer on Belle, how i get access?

And what are the best woofers, i should put in them, my guess, if i change one, i should change the other? am i right?

regards

PS in the sunshine, one speaker is more rosewood color and the others more oak, my guest, i have purchased an unmatched pair of Belle? is it possible, that drivers are so different, from production to production?

Any help, is welcome

Edited by tapajeurs
  • Like 1

So, tell us more.  What do the labels say about the units?

You bought a pair on the used market?

I trust you measured the resistance at the feed wires to the bass bin without the feed wires connected to the crossover.  Is that correct?

The woofer with the higher reading makes me suspect that a previous owner replaced a woofer driver with a non-Klipsch unit.

You can't tell for sure until you open the hatch on the bottom and look around. 

Post photos if you can.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

The DCR on the k-33 is supposed to be about 3.4-3.5 Ohms. Are you measuring these from the driver spades? BTW, 1.4 Ohm difference wouldn't make more than 1/10th db difference in output. It's more likely you have a bad seal (air leak) in the dog house if the bass is less loud in the left speaker.

You can also test the DCR at the main taps on the network. Have you done that? 

I trust you measured the resistance at the feed wires to the bass bin without the feed wires connected to the crossover.  Is that correct?

The woofer with the higher reading makes me suspect that a previous owner replaced a woofer driver with a non-Klipsch unit.

Post photos if you can.

WMcD

Yes bought used market, a gift from my wife,

measurement by the wire,

don't know how to open them yet. I have to find the hatch,

so far, from what i have read, it wouldn't hurt to upgraded them? am i correct?

Edited by tapajeurs

a gift from my wife,

A very nice wife,

I would say your tweeters and mids are fine. 

I don't know if I agree with this.  I have three different woofers in three different cabs and I haven't heard much difference if any at all.  If one of the woofers is bad or is the incorrect one, then yes I would replace both with the one's from the link above.

Post photos if you can.

WMcD

Yes bought used market, a gift from my wife,

measurement by the wire,

don't know how to open them yet. I have to find the hatch,

The Hatch is on the bottom of the speaker.

• Like 1

I think one woofer is wrong or you have a bad seal on woofer door. Also did you replace crossover parts and loosen and retighten all the connections? A few other possibilities are mice have nest in woofer mouth....The rubber O-Ring on mid driver needs replaced.

Did they sound even before you worked on crossovers?

What exactly did you do to crossovers ?

Pictures would be helpful.

I think one woofer is wrong or you have a bad seal on woofer door. Also did you replace crossover parts and loosen and retighten all the connections? A few other possibilities are mice have nest in woofer mouth....The rubber O-Ring on mid driver needs replaced.

Did they sound even before you worked on crossovers?

What exactly did you do to crossovers ?

Pictures would be helpful.

Bought a Crite crossover(did that in the pass, with Scala, loved it), and yes they we're unbalanced,

no matters the amp, i used. But Crite crossover, bring finesse in the sound.

Maybe i should with that: 

http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/10B_PP_CABLES_BROCHURE.pdf

I would hold off on buying anything until you know for sure what the problem is.

Yes take photos of the units including the back labels, and the drivers so that we can read them.

On the LaScalas the grill need to come off, and you have to lay the speaker on it's BACK on the floor to get into the dog house, you might need a mirror and camera to take a picture of the back of the driver and you should also take pictures of woofer frame etc. Take pictures of all of your drivers and the crossovers so we can see them.

I think someone already suggested removing the wires from the bass driver and taking the Ohm reading again, check for dirty terminals.

Probably not a bad idea to check for a mouse hole in the cone when it's open.

You can buy a mechanics or heating and AC mechanics mirror on a telescoping wand for a few dollars, if one is now on the market with LED lights even better, you can photograph the mirror on macro or zoom with good to excellent results.

Edited by Bubo

I would hold off on buying anything until you know for sure what the problem is.

Yes take photos of the units including the back labels, and the drivers so that we can read them.

On the LaScalas the grill need to come off, and you have to lay the speaker on it's front on the floor to get into the dog house, you might need a mirror and camera to take a picture of the back of the driver and you should also take pictures of woofer frame etc. Take pictures of all of your drivers and the crossovers so we can see them.

I think someone already suggested removing the wires from the bass driver and taking the Ohm reading again, check for dirty terminals.

You can buy a mechanics or heating and AC mechanics mirror on a telescoping wand for a few dollars, if one is now on the market with LED lights even better, you can photograph the mirror on macro or zoom with good to excellent results.

Scala was before, now I own a pair of Belle and then tend to sound left or more gain to left. i'll try to dig in, to find out, but connector good way to start. thanks

Bte, repair amp arrived today, so will have to change my setup, a good time to take measure again.

And no paper on the back of my Belle, so no serial number, but if like my Scala it could be punch in the wood somewhere?

Edited by tapajeurs

Ok found the hatch, it was open before, but, measurement on woofer is 3.9Ohms, but...

I took a 1.5volt and test it and it appear to be inverted, woofer was moving backward, older JBL were like that but i don't think klipsch were like that? am i right?

Also take again a measurement at the end of wire and the i could have is a 5.0Ohms, and to see that is the connection problem i will need to remove the top of the Belle completely, to see the other end of the crossover wire.

it is a klisch woofer and it is ok, the numbers is k3?2 and bellow 67-5630 or 67-8630?

So i have pin point the problem, will seal the hatch the best i can, and will listen the result.

Thanks

the quest is not over....

Edited by tapajeurs

On the LaScalas the grill need to come off, and you have to lay the speaker on it's front on the floor to get into the dog house, you might need a mirror and camera to take a picture of the back of the driver and you should also take pictures of woofer frame etc. Take pictures of all of your drivers and the crossovers so we can see them.

Scala was before, now I own a pair of Belle and then tend to sound left or more gain to left. i'll try to dig in, to find out, but connector good way to start. thanks

Bte, repair amp arrived today, so will have to change my setup, a good time to take measure again.

And no paper on the back of my Belle, so no serial number, but if like my Scala it could be punch in the wood somewhere?

What was the report from Service on the amp, what did they find??

minor trouble, fuse cap, and pot gain, and check everything and balance everything.

and music is on, with the woofer (that i change polarity) since my battery type A test and sound loud, clear and finaly center.

i have a problem with the woofer wire who has a measure of 3.9ohms on woofer connector and 5.0ohms reading and the end of cable?

but i need to remove top of the Belle for that and to much work for now, sound is center and my new crossover had finesse to the result as the Bryston on spec!

So for now! Problem solved, but maybe in the fall i will go for the 15 or Crite woofer, just for fun to see if it had up more range!

• Like 1

Ok found the hatch, it was open before, but, measurement on woofer is 3.9Ohms, but...

I took a 1.5volt and test it and it appear to be inverted, woofer was moving backward, older JBL were like that but i don't think klipsch were like that? am i right?

Also take again a measurement at the end of wire and the i could have is a 5.0Ohms, and to see that is the connection problem i will need to remove the top of the Belle completely, to see the other end of the crossover wire.

it is a klisch woofer and it is ok, the numbers is k3?2 and bellow 67-5630 or 67-8630?

So i have pin point the problem, will seal the hatch the best i can, and will listen the result.

Thanks

the quest is not over....

I forgot, is it the correct number, what type of woofer, i should have in the Belle?