Muhammad Ali

Wolfbane

Sadly, the incredible punishment he took in the two big fights with Joe Frazier I suspect ultimately destroyed his health. Never the same fighter afterwards. Always great though in or out of the ring.

Edited by Wolfbane

thanks for posting about this a lot of respect for the man. Will say a prayer for him.

The Champ is gone, may he rest in peace. This is not the time or place to debate the mans life actions or choices. A little respect is not to much to ask.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Respect for a person that refused to abide by their responsibilities as a citizen of the U.S.? Sorry, none here.

edit: just to be clear, if a man has the inclination to remove himself from their country due to his belief that his country is "bad" DO NOT come back and enjoy the benefits. see ya, BYE!

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 4

Conscientious Objectors have been long recognized in this country. He was only vilified because of his color and religion. One of the greatest Americans to have lived in the 60's. How few could ever stand by their beliefs through all the trials society put him through? He took his own path. That amount of courage is rarely seen. 

• Like 5

Conscientious Objectors have been long recognized in this country. He was only vilified because of his color and religion. One of the greatest Americans to have lived in the 60's. How few could ever stand by their beliefs through all the trials society put him through? He took his own path. That amount of courage is rarely seen. 

B.S.

Edit: I vilify him because he was born an United States citizen and THAT requires that a male of legal age serve THEIR country as called upon. Once he made the decision that he did not want to honor that 'commitment' and left he should have had ZERO opportunity to make income in the country he choose to leave. I don't give a rat's behind what he changed his 'name' to in order to make religion an issue.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 3

All politics aside, he was loved and respected by millions. I don't think anyone can argue that he was one of the greatest to ever enter the squared circle! Condolences to his family and friends.

I don't think so. He was completely right about the Vietnam War. 

I have my feelings as well about right or wrong in the 'police action' you refer. That is not my point. If you choose to assume a trait as a convenience to avoid responsibility than you have no right to gain benefit from the entity you chose to abandon.

edit: let me add that I feel the same way about the 'reservists' that drill for 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday and THAT counts for 32 hours of pay (4 drill periods) year after year and THEN refuse to respond to a call up of their unit because they have XX or I'm an XX or best yet, I wasn't here for this only for the retirement.

Apologies for my reaction but I will not retract; back to Mr. Clay

Edited by USNRET

Respect for a person that refused to abide by their responsibilities as a citizen of the U.S.? Sorry, none here.

edit: just to be clear, if a man has the inclination to remove himself from their country due to his belief that his country is "bad" DO NOT come back and enjoy the benefits. see ya, BYE!

Comparable to the old concept of "Outlaw" ----

Wikipedia quote - historical legal systems, an outlaw is declared as outside the protection of the law. In pre-modern societies, the criminal is withdrawn all legal protection, so that anyone is legally empowered to persecute or kill them. Outlawry was thus one of the harshest penalties in the legal system. In early Germanic law, the death penalty is conspicuously absent, and outlawing is the most extreme punishment, presumably amounting to a death sentence in practice. The concept is known from Roman law, as the status of homo sacer, and persisted throughout the Middle Ages.

In the common law of England, a "Writ of Outlawry" made the pronouncement Caput gerat lupinum ("Let his be a wolf's head", literally "May he bear a wolfish head") with respect to its subject, using "head" to refer to the entire person (cf. "per capita") and equating that person with a wolf in the eyes of the law: Not only was the subject deprived of all legal rights of the law being outside of the "law", but others could kill him on sight as if he were a wolf or other wild animal.[citation needed] Women were declared "waived" rather than outlawed but it was effectively the same punishment.[1]

So did you guys know , that when you watch tho old westerns movies, when ( if they are accurate) they use the term "Outlaw" it had a legal meaning.

They live disregarding the Law, hence by that action, they lose the protection of the law.  Law

Regardless of how we feel about him. He was a lightening rod for his time. He was the greatest boxer to have yet lived. He chose a confrontational type of promotion for himself and his sport. It is difficult to separate the promotion from the man.

ps. One of the great things about his forum is that we can have different opinions, and still treat each other respectfully. We are all different, but have a common love of this forum and celebrating what PWK achieved. It is hard to discuss Muhammad Ali without touching on political themes. Let's leave the politics behind, and focus on what he did in the ring.

BTW, I trained with a boxer that fought George Foreman. George said that he had never been hit as hard as was when he fought Bobby Crabtree. Ali broke Foreman's jaw, so that was quite a thing to say.

Gravely ill tonight in a Phoenix hospital.

Remember well listening to his two title fights with Sonny Liston on the radio with my late father. Followed his career from then on.

Exactly the same for me, Wolf.  Of course, I am only a very few years younger than Ali, and you probably are fairly close . . . .