Possible to Transport a Klipschorn on its Side?

I would do face down if able to make so that they would not be scratched.....standing up requires they be very secure. You are right it helps to have extra pair of hands to load but I know several people who could load one by their self....lol. But to do it safely and not to damage them use two people. But the speaker could care less how you load it face up face down the factor being how much damage will the veneer get when you do it. I saw a pair where the guy loaded on a pick up and just slid the face on the tail gate and one now has a huge gouge in it. I wanted to GIBBS slap him,,,lol

• Like 1

Also, I would transport on back, or on face, opposed to a "side"

Although, PROBABLY that's ok as well.

Just not as safe seeming.

But really, maybe it doesnt matter, cause if you transported in standard vertical orientation, that in itself is "on a side"    Lars

Won't fit on its face or back in a Honda Fit. The trunk width is only about 30"; the Khorn bass bin is too wide.

I'm not opposed renting a car or van....

Rent a van before transporting on their sides.

Khorns in a Honda Fit?  :blink:   I wouldn't think they would fit, no way.

+++

I recently went through the same thing as you, having to transport Khorns.  I wanted to cheap out as best I could.  Mustang Guy convinced me that spending $50 on proper transport for $3,000 speakers was cheap insurance.  He was right.

From less expensive:

1.  Borrow someone's truck or van. (for enclosed)

2.  Rent an enclosed 5x8 trailer from Uhaul.  (that is what I did) Cost was $20 and the speakers ride upright.

3.  Rent a 5x8 utility trailer.  Speakers are exposed, but get back to me on preparing them for transport, it can be done safely.

4.  Rent a Uhaul truck. [or cargo van] I don't know the cost off-hand and I'm about to leave the house or I would look it up.

A 5x8 trailer would be ideal if I had a vehicle what would tow one. No one I know has a truck or van, so looks like I will have to rent.

I saw your post btw about you & Mustang Guy grabbing the Khorns - congrats on your purchase!!  B)

While I was in Connecticut I also did not have access to a truck or van and did not have a tow hitch on my car; therefore, I have rented the Enterprise cargo van (of course, I bought the unlimited mileage given the distances I was covering) to complete several longer trips for items that were too large for my car.  I used Enterprise because it was a mile from my apartment, the lot was part of a shopping complex and large enough to leave my car, and the pricing I got was about $100/day plus gas (timing it right I could easily cover 600 - 700 miles round trip for the one day charge); however, while I did not have a Uhaul location close enough that was convenient, the rate on the side of the Uhaul vans have always piqued my curiosity.

_ Enterprise Van.jpg

_ Enterprise van 2.jpg

_ U-Haul van.jpg

post-36163-0-23020000-1465053839_thumb.j

post-36163-0-76340000-1465053847_thumb.j

post-36163-0-92820000-1465053861_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

however, while I did not have a Uhaul location close enough that was convenient, the rate on the side of the Uhaul vans have always piqued my curiosity.

I did the 19.95 Uhaul pickup truck rental when i needed to move a pair of KP450's to a warehouse for shipping. The 19.95 is the daily charge plus mileage. They charged me .59 per mile x 37 miles. Not bad for short trips but could get expensive on long ones.

however, while I did not have a Uhaul location close enough that was convenient, the rate on the side of the Uhaul vans have always piqued my curiosity.

I did the 19.95 Uhaul pickup truck rental when i needed to move a pair of KP450's to a warehouse for shipping. The 19.95 is the daily charge plus mileage. They charged me .59 per mile x 37 miles. Not bad for short trips but could get expensive on long ones.

That makes sense and probably should have realized that since mileage is the reason why I buy the unlimited mileage on the Enterprise vans for the longer trips.  My Jubilees being about a 700 mile round trip would have been substantially more at the per mile rate.  Picked up the van before Enterprise closed the night before, then hit the road between 3:00 am and 3:30 am; and had actually completed the round trip and returned the van well before the 6:00 pm closing time the next day.

• Like 1

Would a La Scala be any different?

LaScalas are about 24x24x35 each, and 125lbs each. I have a 2007 Subaru Forester, with about 36 inches or so between the two wheel wells. Two LS fit in the back with the rear seat folded down. I placed some inexpensive particle board down first, from the rear hatch door to the back of the front seats, to cover the hinges and stuff from folding down the seats. An old wool blanket on to of that and they slid right in. Two people can easily lift a LaScala. A bit harder for a single person to do it.

I also carried a pair in the back of my '98 Blazer, same deal. Pic below:

Bruce

post-5045-0-27260000-1465060423_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

I would do face down if able to make so that they would not be scratched.....standing up requires they be very secure. You are right it helps to have extra pair of hands to load but I know several people who could load one by their self....lol. But to do it safely and not to damage them use two people. But the speaker could care less how you load it face up face down the factor being how much damage will the veneer get when you do it. I saw a pair where the guy loaded on a pick up and just slid the face on the tail gate and one now has a huge gouge in it. I wanted to GIBBS slap him,,,lol

Yikes. That will not be me, I can't even stand the sight of Ikea stuff getting gouged.

Cost per mile can add up fast - my trip is at least twice on a good day.

Rent a small ryder with a lift gate and a fridge dolly easy to do and probly 100$ for the day. cheap compared to a trashed pair of K Horns

Yeah, Sammy pretty much nailed it.

I'm such a cheap arse on my own and Mustang Guy really guided me into not cheaping my way into stupid.  His decisions (the ones I posted) made the trip easy, safe and efficient. 

Had I cheaped out the way I wanted to transporting my Khorns I would have thrown them onto my 5x8 utility trailer when they would have been ruined on the 2-hour trip home.  They would have bounced up and down on my trailer and you know how rough those metal grates are, it's like a wood rasp.  They would have had to weather a driving rainstorm with dirt and water kicking up from below.

It would have been a disaster.

• Like 1

Rent a small ryder with a lift gate and a fridge dolly easy to do and probly 100$ for the day. cheap compared to a trashed pair of K Horns

I'm such a cheap arse on my own and Mustang Guy really guided me into not cheaping my way into stupid.  His decisions (the ones I posted) made the trip easy, safe and efficient. 

Had I cheaped out the way I wanted to transporting my Khorns I would have thrown them onto my 5x8 utility trailer when they would have been ruined on the 2-hour trip home.  They would have bounced up and down on my trailer and you know how rough those metal grates are, it's like a wood rasp.  They would have had to weather a driving rainstorm with dirt and water kicking up from below.

Where are you guys finding trucks with a lift gate and unlimited mileage for $100 a day?  I must not have the right connections as I've done the long haul trips four times now for large speakers and the best price I found for a lift gate truck was a 16 foot truck at a little over $100 a day plus mileage of 0.49 per mile; and this was a couple of years ago now.  My 700 mile trips would have been about $450 before tax and gas instead of the $104 total with unlimited mileage for the cargo van, which was a significant reason (along with convenient location) why I went with the cargo van. 

Would a La Scala be any different?

LaScalas are about 24x24x35 each, and 125lbs each. I have a 2007 Subaru Forester, with about 36 inches or so between the two wheel wells. Two LS fit in the back with the rear seat folded down. I placed some inexpensive particle board down first, from the rear hatch door to the back of the front seats, to cover the hinges and stuff from folding down the seats. An old wool blanket on to of that and they slid right in. Two people can easily lift a LaScala. A bit harder for a single person to do it.

I also carried a pair in the back of my '98 Blazer, same deal. Pic below:

Bruce

If you're offering your car as pick up vehicle, I'd gladly accept ; )

Seriously though, I'm heartened to see two La Scalas fitting a Forrester. Sounds like the right SUV could take a Khorn face down?

Makes me really wish I lived near Mustang Guy.

Here is a photo I took with two complete Khorns inside of a 4Runner.  It was a bit of a puzzle to get them to fit, but I still had enough room for two people to ride in front!  If you can't tell from the photo, the bass bins are positioned face-to-face.  The top hat would only fit as shown -- if I had rotated the one on the end by 180 degrees, it wouldn't have fit as the longer top point would hit the window and not allow the hatch to close.  Based on this, I don't think you can get a vehicle much smaller than a 4Runner and still get both to fit.  After I loaded both Klipschorns, the seller told me that when I showed up in a 4Runner, he thought I wouldn't be taking them home that day (I did a test fit prior to making that trip).

Picture-171-small.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a photo I took with two complete Khorns inside of a 4Runner.  It was a bit of a puzzle to get them to fit, but I still had enough room for two people to ride in front!  If you can't tell from the photo, the bass bins are positioned face-to-face.  The top hat would only fit as shown -- if I had rotated the one on the end by 180 degrees, it wouldn't have fit as the longer top point would hit the window and not allow the hatch to close.  Based on this, I don't think you can get a vehicle much smaller than a 4Runner and still get both to fit.  After I loaded both Klipschorns, the seller told me that when I showed up in a 4Runner, he thought I wouldn't be taking them home that day (I did a test fit prior to making that trip).

rqwxt1.jpg

Great pic!

What does everyone think about a separate post on vehicles and Klipsch Carrying Capacity (KCC)?

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get cargo dimensions for a rental vehicle...

For commercially made vehicles you are best to check the manufacturer's website.

What does everyone think about a separate post on vehicles and Klipsch Carrying Capacity (KCC)?

You wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get cargo dimensions for a rental vehicle...

For commercially made vehicles you are best to check the manufacturer's website.

You would think that, but no. Manufacturers tend to spec cargo in cubic feet, which is absolutely useless. That's what I found with several vehicles (non truck) I was considering renting, anyway...