Possible to Transport a Klipschorn on its Side?

Small car, big ambitions - classic Klipschorns measure about 51"H x 32"W x 28.5"D. They're too wide to load into my wife's Honda Fit and lay face down....

So - would it harm a Klipschorn to be laid on its side for transport? I'm looking at a 4-hour drive this way, so it wouldn't work let me know asap! 

And actually, I'm pretty sure, even that is way overkill.

Forum members correct me.

Even with less "suspension", it's not like you are hauling them on a solid axle "lumber wagon" anyway.

But that's what I would do, to feel confident.         Lars

Also, I would transport on back, or on face, opposed to a "side"

Although, PROBABLY that's ok as well.

Just not as safe seeming.

But really, maybe it doesnt matter, cause if you transported in standard vertical orientation, that in itself is "on a side"    Lars

comment on this folks --- "But really, maybe it doesnt matter, cause if you transported in standard vertical orientation, that in itself is "on a side"    Lars"

Isn't that how they are trucked from Hope??

If so, it's the same thing as on a "side".    Lars

Also, I would transport on back, or on face, opposed to a "side"

Although, PROBABLY that's ok as well.

Just not as safe seeming.

But really, maybe it doesnt matter, cause if you transported in standard vertical orientation, that in itself is "on a side"    Lars

Won't fit on its face or back in a Honda Fit. The trunk width is only about 30"; the Khorn bass bin is too wide.

I'm not opposed renting a car or van....

Edited by onemoretime

Well since the bottom bass bin is pretty hefty it will be hard to get in there with out sliding it. If you slide ot on its side you will damage the edge veneer probably. But it can be done but take 2 people to get in there I think.

How does vertical transport differ from side???

Ok, other than grille cloth MAYBE getting deformed. Streched, not to return.

Certainly possible.

But I'm asking otherwise. Lars

It doesn't. Edited by DizRotus

Khorns in a Honda Fit?  :blink:   I wouldn't think they would fit, no way.

+++

I recently went through the same thing as you, having to transport Khorns.  I wanted to cheap out as best I could.  Mustang Guy convinced me that spending $50 on proper transport for $3,000 speakers was cheap insurance.  He was right.

From less expensive:

1.  Borrow someone's truck or van. (for enclosed)

2.  Rent an enclosed 5x8 trailer from Uhaul.  (that is what I did) Cost was $20 and the speakers ride upright.

3.  Rent a 5x8 utility trailer.  Speakers are exposed, but get back to me on preparing them for transport, it can be done safely.

4.  Rent a Uhaul truck.  I don't know the cost off-hand and I'm about to leave the house or I would look it up.

Well since the bottom bass bin is pretty hefty it will be hard to get in there with out sliding it. If you slide ot on its side you will damage the edge veneer probably. But it can be done but take 2 people to get in there I think.

I've never owned one of these, but I would think that by definition a single Klipschorn by definition would require two people to load - no matter if onto a van, step van, pickup truck, hatchback, etc. Even a dock worker using a hand truck and a ramp to load onto a commercial truck would probably be want want a hand with an unboxed unit.

Edited by onemoretime

Khorns in a Honda Fit?  :blink:   I wouldn't think they would fit, no way.

+++

I recently went through the same thing as you, having to transport Khorns.  I wanted to cheap out as best I could.  Mustang Guy convinced me that spending $50 on proper transport for $3,000 speakers was cheap insurance.  He was right.

From less expensive:

1.  Borrow someone's truck or van. (for enclosed)

2.  Rent an enclosed 5x8 trailer from Uhaul.  (that is what I did) Cost was $20 and the speakers ride upright.

3.  Rent a 5x8 utility trailer.  Speakers are exposed, but get back to me on preparing them for transport, it can be done safely.

4.  Rent a Uhaul truck.  I don't know the cost off-hand and I'm about to leave the house or I would look it up.

A 5x8 trailer would be ideal if I had a vehicle what would tow one. No one I know has a truck or van, so looks like I will have to rent.

I saw your post btw about you & Mustang Guy grabbing the Khorns - congrats on your purchase!!  B)

• Like 2

Rent a van before transporting on their sides.

Sounds pretty clear about the L & R sides. If I had a wider cargo area, would you say the same about transporting face down or face up - still use a van?

Would a La Scala be any different?