Pony Express Central (Shipping Discussion)

The Dude

RE: No complete crate ?? --- Did you notice the post #11 in link above?

Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure their trucks get by far loaded and un w forklift, not by hand.

I dunnoi. Scary.

Lars

Yeah not saying i wouldn't use a crate. I was just stating that it wasnt a requirement.

Getting the seller to crate is adding to extra cost. If i was buying something like khorns, jubilees or alike i would look at this option.

Yes i have a few fastenals around, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If you would be buying Khorns, or Jubilees, Uship would definately be the way to go.

Again , no crating. Gets blanket wrapped and regarded as "fine furniture".

I've built crates, and and tell ya, they take way more time and matl $ than one would guess off the cuff.  Lars 

• Like 1

We should start a shipping/freight thread.  This is good info for those that don't have extremely heavy objects.

Fastenal did state that it didn't have to have a complete crate, however it wouldn't be covered under insurance.

Enough folks here geographically want to move a fair amount of stuff.

From a preamp, to Jubilees ++.

Different shipping methods are best for different situations.

It WOULD be a help to put up a central (maybe sticky) post on shipping.

But, I don't know best way to do it.

I would contribute by giving my  UShip experience details, , including links from others  (RE: Uship)

I was totally scared of using it (Never heard of them before, saw many online said  it was a "Scam" , untill I spent a few hours investigating,and found the "scam" had nothing to do w Uship itself,  then used them.

Could not have been better.

No need for others to spin the same wheels needlessly.

I see It happenning here all the time. 

We could for example, post specs of 2 or three typical loads, differing shipping carriers, starting at  "40 Lb amp"  to "LaScalas" to like an MCM setup.

No, I think you all know I don't work for UShip, but may know, I did have a great experience w them, as a few other members.

Mods - Should, and can, we do this?    Lars

• Like 2

I wish that was on that path to help. calhockey10 is holding a pair of HUGE EV horns for me. I would do the same for other members. Hopefully this will work for you.

bump

Which ev horns is he holding?

Electro Voice HP6040 horns with DH1A-16 2" drivers

• Like 1

I wish that was on that path to help. calhockey10 is holding a pair of HUGE EV horns for me. I would do the same for other members. Hopefully this will work for you.

bump

Which ev horns is he holding?

Electro Voice HP6040 horns with DH1A-16 2" drivers

I have the HP9040,  I guess I never realized they made a HP6040.  It looks like the diffraction slot isn't as tight.   The DH1a is a great driver.

One thing I would like to see us add to this, is proper packaging when shipping via UPS, FEDEX, or USPS.  I have used all three companies with great success.  I feel most of the time you see damaged goods, is when the shipper doesn't properly package the item.  Maybe Willand will post some pics of good examples, I have heard he does some of the finest packing jobs. 

Some thoughts on packaging,  I have all ways tried to line a good heavy box with 3/4" or 1" solid foam you purchase from most hardware stores.  It usually runs about $20.00 for a 4x8 sheet.   After recently receiving my McIntosh box, I have some better ideas how to ship receivers, amps, pre amps, etc.. 

On that note, I would highly recommend factory shipping cartons when possible.  Two of the most recent brands that I have purchased factory cartons for are McIntosh and Bryston. 

McIntosh MC2505 2-3 week lead time cost was $55.00 shipped

Bryston 2b-lp 1-2 week lead time cost was $65.00 shipped. 

I think this thread could be very helpful for those who contemplate shipping goods, regardless of size.  

• Like 2

Large Speaker shipping via UShip - 

Phoenix to TX/LA border pair of double 15" bass bottoms. 130 lbs each, Blanket wrapped by the Driver.

We did put plywood on the fronts , and covered corners w/ cardboard, to feel better, but after seeing the care in handling, was not  necessary.

"White Glove"- residences, driveway to Living Room. "Door to Door"

The guy was like all told impeccable.

$345 total done price.

The UShip cut  was $25 of that total.

I think that's pretty cheap for what they do.

UShip is awesome. AS LONG as YOU look at your bidding shippers feedback.

Like Ebay.

Spend TIME drilling on the site, due diligence and all.

I had a few lowball low feedback  non historied shippers bids- in the $200's and as low as $125.

I took the $345 due to numerous extensive feedback, much relating to "delicate" items.

This particular guy does primarily PA down to FL, and TX. if anyone should need him.

I hesitate to give his contact info here, just don't want to get him hassled by UShip TOS  or whatever, but I do have his contact info.

So happy w the whole experience.Can't say enough.

Welcome to help any of you with more details.    Lars

Large Speaker shipping info - via Forward Air

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

Just got off the phone with ForwardAir.

They do not have an online calculater for non acct holders.

I have a pair of speakers in Phoenix I need to get to Houston.

So my buddy in Phoenix will deliver them padded and wrapped on a pallet to Phoenix terminal.

48x40x32, 310 lbs.

Then they truck to their Houston George Bush terminal.

$201 they said all inclusive.

For future ref I asked how much if it was double the cubes and weight. Like $390, so proportional

Need to pickup within 48 hrs, or $30/ day storage.

Greyhound is out because they have 100 lb per package limit.

I don't recall why I tossed out UPS and FedEx , but they were at least like double+ the $.

Figured this would be helpful concrete info.   Lars

This would all so be good if one is traveling from one location to antoher.  For instance,  I will be traveling from Branson, MO to Omaha, NE on Thursday.  If someone had a small item they would like me to pick up and deliver on the way, I would be willing to do so.

Title new thread -  "Member Location Database discussion" ??

The Elders can do this if they deem appropriate.

We can collectively brainstorm  practical ways to make a map or list happen.

Maybe everyone wanting to be included can input their screen name and zipcode into one of those public Google docs or something.

Then, that data can be input in to one of those "within 10. 25. 50. 100miles, etc" of an entered zipcode.

A search would give screen names within the parameters, which could then be selectively contacted by IM.

Just my vision.

I'll ask my Son, he may know.

Lars

There is an Altec Model 14 in Imperial Beach, California that I would like to have. eBay auction is about done. I have a single I have been holding onto for many years, but shipping is outrageous! These are the kinds of data we need to know about. Members locations that may travel a lot or planning travel.

I don't have the territory that I used to (Mississippi to New Mexico, to Mexico to Kansas), but I still cover Arkansas, Oklahoma southern Kansas, southern Missouri, and maybe into the fringe of western Tennessee. Small items I can easily carry, but the bed of my truck is filled with testing equipment normally. I have carried a set of Cornwalls in the back seat area, though. My schedule is flexible, but unpredictable.

I think the info of individuals being limited to screen name and zipcode should provide sufficient "safety" or security to those participating, and IM that one can choose to answer or not yet another layer of above, While still being efficient.   Lars

• 3 weeks later...