What is the Sound of One Klipschorn Playing?

I'm considering easing my way into Khorns one at a time, partly due to budget, partly due to space.

Given the size of the cabiet, horns, and drivers, you'd think one of these would offer more range and depth than two conventional box speakers, right? So if I bi-wire two Channels into a single Klipschorn cabinet, how good wil that sound, and how much am I losing sonically compared to having two Klipschorns imaging together?

If 2-channel out of a single Khorn is a bust, what about a mono amp with mono recordings?

If off the topic I hang my head BUT
if the KHorn was a) designed as a mono and B) designed to require a corner
I am now trying to visualize the layout ....might be easier, instead of that crappy unused corner fireplace I have it could be a

Edited by USNRET

I'm considering easing my way into Khorns one at a time, partly due to budget, partly due to space.

Given the size of the cabiet, horns, and drivers, you'd think one of these would offer more range and depth than two conventional box speakers, right? So if I bi-wire two Channels into a single Klipschorn cabinet, how good wil that sound, and how much am I losing sonically compared to having two Klipschorns imaging together?

If 2-channel out of a single Khorn is a bust, what about a mono amp with mono recordings?

Unless you can find a great deal on a single that you can sell later (which can prove to be difficult) do not buy 1 K Horn if you really want two later on.  Your chances of finding a matching single K Horn later on are almost zero. 

Buy some Cornwalls or Chorus speakers for now and move on when you have the funds. 

• Like 2

Unless you can find a great deal on a single that you can sell later (which can prove to be difficult) do not buy 1 K Horn if you really want two later on.  Your chances of finding a matching single K Horn later on are almost zero. 

Buy some Cornwalls or Chorus speakers for now and move on when you have the funds. 

And a sequential pair, if possible.

I currently run 2 separate stereo khorn systems and until the last couple weeks I ran a single Khorn in a mono system.  The mono system has been decommissioned due to a lack of corners for a new project that's in the works.  

I much prefer a single to two khorns for mono playback.  If using a single speaker, only feed it a mono signal, via a mono recording or through a source component (receiver,preamp,integrated amp, etc) which has a mono switch for your stereo recordings. 

BTW, where are you located?

Seattle area.

The sound of one Klipschorn playing is equal to but no less than one half the sound of two Klipschorns playing.

If not mistaken I believe Mr. Paul proved this via slide rule computations in the late 50's.

That's interesting. Today I went to audition a single La Scala. Bass lines in the music were yummy, vocals were excellent; and yet percussion wasn't crisp and there was something missing in the midrange. The seller felt that playing only one channel and the lack of second speaker meant I wasn't hearing what La Scalas were truly capable of. He felt the imaging of two La Scalas would be way more detailed, hence my question. I'm not sure I agree with the seller's take, though...Maybe this particular La Scala wasn't the best example?

If the crossovers are the same and the vintages are similar, and the cabinets are more or less the same material, will they sound similar? I'm less concerned about matching grill cloth or how they were stained....

If the crossovers are the same and the vintages are similar, and the cabinets are more or less the same material, will they sound similar? I'm less concerned about matching grill cloth or how they were stained....

They would probably sound similar, but the comments of TigerwoodKhorns are still valid. Finding a good single Khorn newer than the 60s would be difficult.

Problem is - you can't 'reverse Y' two inputs together at the loudspeaker. Won't work. Need something with mono output.

Not only will it not work, it could destroy the amp. Don't even think about it. Listen to Colterphoto1. He knows of what he speaks.

• Like 2

A simple, passive, stereo to mono mixer between your source and the input of one channel of your amp or preamp will work fine.  If you are handy, I can tell you how to make one yourself.  Alternatively, some amps can be bridged at their outputs for mono operation.  That option should be stated in the instruction manual.

Maynard

I am not an expert in any of this, but to my ears Mono from my AVR sounds really good, very close to Stereo sound, punchy and plays loud with very good clarity.  My AVR sends mono to all three L/C/R speakers, not just the center.  There is no audio snobbieness from me, good sound is good sound Mono can be an excellent choice for listening.

I'm not sure if I would want a Khorn for a center due to its unique pentagram shape.  It would have to stick out quite a ways from the wall into the center of the room.  One thing that surprised me about my Khorns is how they blended into the background visually and blended into the corner.  I bet my wife's floor standing lamp took up about as much real estate once it was moved away from the corner.

If the OP is determined to get a single Khorn, for planning purposes I would keep it as a center with the idea of getting a pair of Khorns for L/R down the road.  As a preference, when ready to add the second speaker I would buy a matched pair and sell the single.

Just my random thoughts, if it were me spending the dough.

+++

Edit:  More random thoughts - I think I have "snobbieness" but the Spell Checker says I have should have "snobbish-ness" instead.  Hmmmph.  I like my word better.

I think I'm more snobby than snobbish.  What say you, fellow Klipschites?  :P

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Keep in mind the OP was also talking about using a mono amp and mono recording. Also keep in mind that single KHorns come up for sale all the time and are typically less expensive than half of the price of a pair of them. Scu is right about going to a matching pair later would be near impossible. At that point, I would be selling the single and buying a pair.

Edited by mustang guy