What is the Sound of One Klipschorn Playing?

Lots of good points here - really appreciate the discussion this has generated.

FWIW I'm running two mono amps, so my only concern is getting the left and right source to provide information to a single speaker if I want to play both mono and stereo recordings.

Regarding sequential numbers - I get that this is desirable for resale. That said, if cabinets & components are the same in two Khorns of similar vintage, sonically there shouldn't be a difference. We're talking speakers, not amps, and Klipsch strikes me as pretty consistent in its components. Do let me know if I'm wrong about this, though.

Regarding sequential numbers - I get that this is desirable for resale. That said, if cabinets & components are the same in two Khorns of similar vintage, sonically there shouldn't be a difference. We're talking speakers, not amps, and Klipsch strikes me as pretty consistent in its components. Do let me know if I'm wrong about this, though.

It looks to me like you've got a good handle on things.

Generally speaking I think what sequential S/N does for you is it pretty much guarantees that the cloth material will match, and the finish will match, same batch of stain, veneer, whatever they are using. 

Veneer that matches grain from the same batch is something Klipsch has always paid attention to.  They detail it to the point they had a guy at the factory who was an expert and would pick out the different veneers and match them to each other.

I agree with you that Klipsch quality control is good enough and consistent enough I would be surprised if there were a sonic difference in similar model years or maybe even within the vintage era the speaker came from.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Veneer that matches grain from the same batch is something Klipsch has always paid attention to detail to the point they had a guy at the factory who was an expert and would pick out the different veneers and match them to each other.

I agree with you that Klipsch quality control is good enough and consistent enough I would be surprised if there were a sonic difference in similar model years or maybe even within the vintage era the speaker came from.

Thanks - this helps see some additional value in matched sequential pairs, but that unmatched pairs would sound about the same if other aspects are equal.

FWIW I'm running two mono amps, so my only concern is getting the left and right source to provide information to a single speaker if I want to play both mono and stereo recordings.

The passive mixer should work just fine, and one amp is all you will need to use with the single speaker.  What kind of amps do you have, and do you use a preamp with them or just feed the signal directly from your source?  Where are you located?

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic

I currently run 2 separate stereo khorn systems and until the last couple weeks I ran a single Khorn in a mono system.  The mono system has been decommissioned due to a lack of corners for a new project that's in the works.  

I much prefer a single to two khorns for mono playback.  If using a single speaker, only feed it a mono signal, via a mono recording or through a source component (receiver,preamp,integrated amp, etc) which has a mono switch for your stereo recordings. 

BTW, where are you located?

Seattle area.

If you live in Seattle and a pair of K Horns is out of your price range, look for a pair of used Speakerlab's made at their factory.  They are high quality and made locally.  You should be able to find a pair for a reasonable price. 

I have owned a few pair of the Speakerlab Khorns and I have always found the xover to be the weak point, also in question is the assembly of the cabinet.

For the most part, they sound good, but they are certainly not a Klipschorn.

I owned 4 factory built plywood Speakerlab SKhorns with the aluminum squawker. I agree completely with tom b. 57.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

I currently run 2 separate stereo khorn systems and until the last couple weeks I ran a single Khorn in a mono system.  The mono system has been decommissioned due to a lack of corners for a new project that's in the works.  

I much prefer a single to two khorns for mono playback.  If using a single speaker, only feed it a mono signal, via a mono recording or through a source component (receiver,preamp,integrated amp, etc) which has a mono switch for your stereo recordings. 

BTW, where are you located?

Seattle area.

If you live in Seattle and a pair of K Horns is out of your price range, look for a pair of used Speakerlab's made at their factory.  They are high quality and made locally.  You should be able to find a pair for a reasonable price. 

Thanks. There's a pair of Speakerlab Khorns nearby, actually, but I heard from someone local here that the crossovers on the Speakerlab K's aren't that good. At the asking price, by the time you buy crossovers you're getting closer to Klipschorns, but with far less resale value.

I have owned a few pair of the Speakerlab Khorns and I have always found the xover to be the weak point, also in question is the assembly of the cabinet.

For the most part, they sound good, but they are certainly not a Klipschorn.

I owned 4 factory built plywood Speakerlab SKhorns with the aluminum squawker. I agree. Completely with tom b. 57.

If you & Tom agree Speakerlab K's are no Klipschorns, then what are they like? Would they play well against a La Scala? Cornwall? Forte?

In my opinion, the Speakerlab Khorns don,t compete with any of the Klipsch speakers due to the inferior xover and completely different mid driver. Cornwall's and Forte's are different due to design and Lascalas smoke them. Lascalas are great if you got the room. I would have kept mine but they just took up too much real estate.

Tom

I have a line on some La Scala's. I'm not sure I have the room in my 2-channel area, but they might squeeze into the home theater setup. So La Scala's trump Speakerlab K's and most other Klipsch will be better than Speakerlab K's, have I got that right? Any conditions for considering a Speakerlab K, or are they too big and the sound quality not worth it?

If LaScalas will work, I think that would be the way to go. You need to listen to the Speakerlabs and the LaScalas and decide for yourself. You may find the Speakerlabs will work for you.

Remember, this is just my opinion. I must admit, I am a bit biased. I am very fond of Klipsch speakers.

Good luck with your quest.

Tom

• Like 1