How do I clean Belle's grills?

luddite

I recently acquired a pair of 1989 Belles.  They had been stored in the seller's basement for 15 years or so.  The speakers work great; updated crossovers, the oak is in good shape.  I noticed a musty smell after I unpacked the speakers, which I attributed to them being stored for so long.  I have tried to vacuum the grills, to "air them out" by running the ceiling fan for hours at a time, but still have the smell.  Now I wonder if it is old cigarette smoke.  I don't think it is pet odor.  The grills are intact; no scratches, rips, etc to the black fabric.  What can I use/do to clean and de-odorize the grills that won't mess up the wood or speakers themselves?  

If the fabric is attached to wood or anything like that, this should not be tried. I have used this several times on filthy speaker grilles if the frames are plastic. I fill the tub with about 2 inches of warm water and add a bit of dish detergent soap. Lay the frames in there flat and swish around. You will see the dirt swirling off of them and crud falling to the bottom of the tub. DO NOT pick the frames up as the wet fabric is heavy and will stretch. Drain tub, add more warm water for a rinse, repeat as necessary. After the final draining wait a bit and carefully stand the frames up to drain. If the fabric is still heavy with water, wait some more. After they have drain well, take them outside to air dry.

I have used this technique several times to clean really nasty grills and they have come out looking 100% better.

BillWojo

• Like 1