The Future of Audio is Mono?

thebes

From a conceptual standpoint- As for small speaker units I can see a better quality single driver being better than two that are 12'' apart which isnt really stereo anyway like proper speaker setup with a sound stage is. That being said, the echo sounds pretty gimmicky.

I can't fault that.  A good mono system can sound really good and boomboxes have their limitations. Of course, I'm assuming this speaker is mono, and is offering up a summed single channel, not just presenting one half of the signal.

Bu then again, can you actually see someone strutting down the street wearing a very fly outfit with a tin can perched on his shoulder?

I bought my wife the Amazon Tap for Mothers Day. She and my daughters really like it. They can play most of what they want on demand, and also get news, sport and weather. Plus some other stuff. I have to admit it's pretty cool. Sound isn't the best, but that's not really the point.

I guess I don't understand the voice command stuff outside of being handicapped. There can't be that many people that feel the need to talk to their speakers to get the weather or sports scores. It's just weird.

Also, you have to have a phone for it to work, so what exactly are you gaining there? You could just talk to your phone, which is what is being used in the background anyway. I don't get it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I don't understand the voice command stuff outside of being handicapped. There can't be that many people that feel the need to talk to their speakers to get the weather or sports scores. It's just weird.

Also, you have to have a phone for it to work, so what exactly are you gaining there? You could just talk to your phone, which is what is being used in the background anyway. I don't get it.

I was very skeptical of the Echo when it came out. My wife got it for me for Christmas. I didn't want to like it - I wanted to stick with my awesome sound systems. But it grew on me. I didn't think I needed an iphone before either but now I can't live without one. 

The music is great and right now it's one of the primary selling points for the Echo but where the real potential is in the voice recognition technology - it's basically a new breed of computer operating system a la DOS, OS, iOS,Windows, Linux, etc. I think we'll all be surprised at what these systems are doing (and how they're integrating into our lives) in a few years. 

Also, the Echo now has a little brother that has an 1/8" line out so you can plug it into your favorite receiver and speakers. I think once this technology starts taking off we'll be seeing more of these types of options for people who want to bring their own tech to the party.