ksp 400 vs kg4

lodb

I own a set of 2 ksp 400 tower speakers (1990's vintage) and 2 kg4 floor speakers (1970's vintage).  I also have the ksp 6 that goes with the ksp 400s.  I was planning to use all 5 of these speakers for 5.1 surround for purpose of movies, but really it's too complicated for me and too much for my small living room.  So, I'm going to downsize and get rid either of the ksp 400s and ksp 6, OR the kg 4s.  The brother-in-law who got me this equipment has died and can't advise, so I'm trying this klipsch community forum.  I would love some good advice.  I'm finding more support for the kg4s than the ksp 400s by using google on the internet, but the ksp 400's are newer and were, I believe, more expensive.  The ksp 400s also have hardly been used (I don't know if use is a factor for speakers).  One of the ksp 400's has a buzz when things are plugged in and turned on.  A friend said it had to do with my electrical system, but I suspect it has to do with the speaker, since ksp 400s are infamous for a buzz, it seems.  DB

Welcome.

2 things...

1: What do you ears tell you about which is better? Consider doing A/B on them to determine which sound better to you. Those would be the pair you want to keep.

2: Original MSRP does not dictate the overall quality of any equipment. Do not let those figures be the determining factor as to which you keep. You will only be disappointed with your results if you do so.

To be clear, both are fantastic speakers, and both have their application. The KG-4's are easily modified and repaired if there are problems. The KSP is a powered system, and probably has better bass response, but for the most part, what you have is all there is. If something goes wrong in the amp section and you're not savvy for the repairs - it could be considerably costly to fix.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

Welcome.

2 things...

1: What do you ears tell you about which is better? Consider doing A/B on them to determine which sound better to you. Those would be the pair you want to keep.

2: Original MSRP does not dictate the overall quality of any equipment. Do not let those figures be the determining factor as to which you keep. You will only be disappointed with your results if you do so.

To be clear, both are fantastic speakers, and both have their application. The KG-4's are easily modified and repaired if there are problems. The KSP is a powered system, and probably has better bass response, but for the most part, what you have is all there is. If something goes wrong in the amp section and you're not savvy for the repairs - it could be considerably costly to fix.

Have you ever owned or even heard a pair of KSP-400's ? I'm just curious.

Keith

I'm not singling out either or, if that's what you're implying I am doing. I like how Klipsch's powered speakers sound. But I also know that I have heard some pretty damn magical KG-4s before. I know the 4s are a commodity to modify. I know that the amplified speakers are a nightmare if something goes wrong.

Thus why my key recommendation is for the op to listen to their setup, A/B the speakers and decide for themselves. I have selected what should have been the "lesser" in my space before, simply because it sounded better in the space I was in.

Eta: good lord my phone makes it look like I had a seizure.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

To the OP- It would depend on how you want your setup. If you want to stay with the surround sound I would keep the KSP-400s as they have matching surrounds and its hard to find surrounds to go with the older KG-4. (Dont worry about a center channel for now) That being said, I personally would keep the KSP-400s as your home theater then set up a separate 2 channel system with the KG-4 in an office or bedroom etc. If you want a great cheap amp, go with the Lepai 2020+:

http://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2024A-Amplifier-Stereo-Supply/dp/B00ULRFQ1A?ie=UTF8&keywords=lepai%20lp-2020a&qid=1465351290&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I have one powering my office system with KG 5.5's and one powering my LaScalas in my media room and am blown away every time I listen to it. Class D amps are awesome with Klipsch as the high efficiency means they can run at lows wattage where the distortion is minimal.

• Like 1

I've heard both(KSP-300s) and would rather keep the KG4s. They delivered a surprising level of inner detail that the KSPs, and a lot of other klipsch models, cannot match.

The only models I've owned with more detail were the KLF-20s and CF-4s.

• Like 2

I'm not singling out either or, if that's what you're implying I am doing. I like how Klipsch's powered speakers sound. But I also know that I have heard some pretty damn magical KG-4s before. I know the 4s are a commodity to modify. I know that the amplified speakers are a nightmare if something goes wrong.

Thus why my key recommendation is for the op to listen to their setup, A/B the speakers and decide for themselves. I have selected what should have been the "lesser" in my space before, simply because it sounded better in the space I was in.

So in other words...no. So then, you don't know what you're talking about. Why do you keep repeating untrue and misleading comments when you have no idea what you're talking about? What about the nightmare? Exactly what kind of nightmare does one experience when encountering amplifier difficulties?

Just curious.

Keith

• Haha 1

I own a set of 2 ksp 400 tower speakers (1990's vintage) and 2 kg4 floor speakers (1970's vintage).  I also have the ksp 6 that goes with the ksp 400s.  I was planning to use all 5 of these speakers for 5.1 surround for purpose of movies, but really it's too complicated for me and too much for my small living room.  So, I'm going to downsize and get rid either of the ksp 400s and ksp 6, OR the kg 4s.  The brother-in-law who got me this equipment has died and can't advise, so I'm trying this klipsch community forum.  I would love some good advice.  I'm finding more support for the kg4s than the ksp 400s by using google on the internet, but the ksp 400's are newer and were, I believe, more expensive.  The ksp 400s also have hardly been used (I don't know if use is a factor for speakers).  One of the ksp 400's has a buzz when things are plugged in and turned on.  A friend said it had to do with my electrical system, but I suspect it has to do with the speaker, since ksp 400s are infamous for a buzz, it seems.  DB

Hey DB. Welcome to the forum. For movies you can't beat the KSP400's. That is what they were designed for. You said all '5' of the speakers. That makes me think that you may have a KSP-C(center)6 rather than a KSP-S(surround)6 speaker. If that is the case you could use the KG4's for surround. Try them and see what you think.

The 2 speakers are not even close. On their best day under the most ideal of situations the KG4's won't touch the KSP400's, for any use.

FYI, since you mentioned it, the KSP400's retailed for around $3450 pair when new, the KG4's maybe $600.

You may eliminate the buzz with a cheater plug. Costs about .59 cents. Try it. It might eliminate your grounding problem. 

If the amp needs servicing you can buy an exchange amp from Edward's Electronics in Mesa Arizona. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Service-Klipsch-KSP-400-Send-Us-Your-Non-Working-Amp-We-Will-Repair-It-/252415339496?hash=item3ac5206be8:g:SXMAAOSw7I5TxFFc

There are numerous wiring options for the KSP400's. Read the manual. If you don't have one you should be able to download one for free. If all else fails PM me and I'll see if I have an extra manual.

I've owned my KSP's for 15 years and I've never had to buy new crossovers because of listening fatigue. I've owned and heard many other Klipsch speakers and the only speakers I have now are the KSP setup. The rest got sold. But people have their own preferences. If you want to sell the KSP's let me know, I might be interested if you're close to me.

Any questions ask away.

Keith

post-3284-0-01120000-1465359422_thumb.jp

• Like 1

So in other words...no. So then, you don't know what you're talking about. Why do you keep repeating untrue and misleading comments when you have no idea what you're talking about? What about the nightmare? Exactly what kind of nightmare does one experience when encountering amplifier difficulties?

Just curious.

Keith

Oh, I am SO sorry that my advice of letting the ops ears decide what path he chooses is so incorrect. I was under the impression that good sound was objective, but silly me...I obviously don't know what I'm talking about...so much for being "just curious."

...Are you freakin' kidding me?

(Thanks for reminding me that the other type of audiophile are the nose-up varieties.)

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2

Just curious.

Keith

Oh, I am SO sorry that my advice of letting the ops ears decide what path he chooses is so incorrect. I was under the impression that good sound was objective, but silly me...I obviously don't know what I'm talking about...so much for being "just curious."

...Are you freakin' kidding me?

(Thanks for reminding me that the other type of audiophile are the nose-up varieties.)

No, that's not it at all. You have given negative comments about KSP speakers here many times. You do it every time someone poses a question about the Series. My ownership/experience of every speaker in this series over many years is the polar opposite of your comments. So I asked a simple question: have you personally owned any of the KSP powered speakers that you so frequently comment about? You avoided answering that question so I am inclined to believe that you have never owned speakers that you freely give inexperienced opinions of. So the logical conclusion, You don't have a clue what you're talking about. That's it. Plain and simple. Grow up kid.

Keith

I only recall once commenting on the KSP's and said they were great speakers. Apparently you have me confused with someone else...

You know what, forget it. I've been on the edge of leaving here for a while anyway because of posters like this...

So you know, go ahead and plaster me however you want.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Thank you everyone who posted here.  Yes, T2K Keith, I do have the KSP C 6, a center speaker.  Originally, my brother-in-law was setting me up for the KSP 400's as the front speakers, the KSP C 6 as the center, and the KG4's as the back (surround?).  From what you all have said, I am going to set up the system again, listen to all the speakers again, see if I can hear a difference between KSP 400's and KG4's.  I will consider keeping all the speakers and a 5.1 channel system.  BUT, HERE IS ANOTHER QUESTION.  I listen to music as well as to movies.  Maybe more music, since I like to go to movie theaters for movies I can see in theaters.  I'm even considering adding an oppo ksp 105 for what the reviews say about quality for 2 channel music.  I listen to more classical, opera, jazz than other popular, though some other popular.  No heavy metal.  If I understand it, if I play 2 channel, it will be through the front speakers, which, if I have a 5 speaker system for movies with my current speakers, would be the KSP 400's.  Is it possible that one could find KSP 400's better for movies but KG4's better for the music I listen to (for those who think KSP400's are better than KG4's for movies, which I see is not everyone). 

That is, with all these speakers, is there one way to set it all up together for music and movies.  Or, as one post suggested, should I set up movies in one room with some speakers (maybe just the KSP 400s and KSP C6) and music in another (KG4's).  I am working with Outlaw 770 and 950 combination receiver and amplifier.  Donna

I have never owned any of the Klipsch powered speakers but I have owned KSP-C6 which I still have and the KSP-S6 that I recently sold to a forum member. I also own a pair of KG-4's. I owned three pair a while back but am now down to one. I don't think I have anything negative to say about any of these speakers. The KG-4 lacks a little bottom end but the clarity is amazing for a floor stander. The KSP-C6 is not far behind the Academy and KLF-C7 in my view, punches way above it's pay scale and the KSP-S6's sounded awesome doing surround duty. Speakers to me are a tough one when only going by somebody else's experience. Personally I think the KSP series will play nicer together so that would leave the KG-4's as odd man out but your own ears should be the judge of this. I have a pair of modded KG-4's with a modded horizontal KG-4 I built and they are set up with four SB-3's and they are seamless between the two models as far as timbre and distinction. Take your time, have fun and let your own ears take you where you want to be.

Tim

• 5 years later...
On 6/8/2016 at 12:17 AM, T2K said:

Hey DB. Welcome to the forum. For movies you can't beat the KSP400's. That is what they were designed for. You said all '5' of the speakers. That makes me think that you may have a KSP-C(center)6 rather than a KSP-S(surround)6 speaker. If that is the case you could use the KG4's for surround. Try them and see what you think.

The 2 speakers are not even close. On their best day under the most ideal of situations the KG4's won't touch the KSP400's, for any use.

FYI, since you mentioned it, the KSP400's retailed for around $3450 pair when new, the KG4's maybe $600.

You may eliminate the buzz with a cheater plug. Costs about .59 cents. Try it. It might eliminate your grounding problem. 

If the amp needs servicing you can buy an exchange amp from Edward's Electronics in Mesa Arizona. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Service-Klipsch-KSP-400-Send-Us-Your-Non-Working-Amp-We-Will-Repair-It-/252415339496?hash=item3ac5206be8:g:SXMAAOSw7I5TxFFc

There are numerous wiring options for the KSP400's. Read the manual. If you don't have one you should be able to download one for free. If all else fails PM me and I'll see if I have an extra manual.

I've owned my KSP's for 15 years and I've never had to buy new crossovers because of listening fatigue. I've owned and heard many other Klipsch speakers and the only speakers I have now are the KSP setup. The rest got sold. But people have their own preferences. If you want to sell the KSP's let me know, I might be interested if you're close to me.

Any questions ask away.

Keith

post-3284-0-01120000-1465359422_thumb.jp

You are SO Right !

The KG4's are musical little bastards, I will give them that! But absolutely no match for a well set up pair of KSP 400's ! Not even close. And yes, I realize how old this thread is.