Wow...Cornscalas for $20k and up?

prerich

"Having a good product is not enough. Despite what our ignorant government "leaders" would have us believe, you don't produce a product to "create jobs" or even "make speakers" for the love of the product. You are in the business of making money."

Job growth is a sign of a healthy business. No one makes millions of dollars by running a business alone. A product that creates jobs means more money.

I'm curious about this dealer "network". There hasn't been a real high end dealer network in 20 years - which is why everyone drags their product to audio shows. The remaining high end dealers don't give up floor space to new product (since most go out of business in the first year) - but to well known and established businesses - and that list is still surprisingly long.

• Like 1

I showed the speakers to some friends and their conclusions were all the same- at that price point, they either have to be sold with a 100% money back guarantee (including shipping charges both ways), or they have to be demonstrated alongside other, comparably priced, speakers.  As Dean pointed out, that's probably not possible in most parts of the country due to a paucity of high end dealers, so exposure would be extremely limited.  There's a reason why so many sellers of audio equipment offer a return privilege (even when the equipment is custom made, such as Decware).  There's also the issue of buying such costly speakers from a builder who is unknown.  What protections are in place to ensure service if Justin goes out of business and a speaker fails?  I'm all for being an entrepreneur, but I can't see this being successful unless a magazine like Stereophile reviews them and gives them their blessing.

Maynard

I actually attended the Newport Show referenced and happened to take in Ampsandsound's setups while there. There were two rooms, one with the two ways being driven and one with the three ways. I spent some time with the three ways (more than I intended) and can attest to the fact that the performance was sterling. The cabinetry was top tier, with a finish that was stunning. Perfect. But, for me it was about the performance. I am somewhat familiar with Justin's workmanship and have grown to expect a high level of commitment to anything he does - but the three ways exceeded my expectations. I heard very little at the show that were their equal, and hung around listening longer than expected because they really did shine. Very, very nice.

Best of luck to one of the good guys in audio.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I actually attended the Newport Show referenced and happened to take in Ampsandsound's setups while there. There were two rooms, one with the two ways being driven and one with the three ways. I spent some time with the three ways (more than I intended) and can attest to the fact that the performance was sterling. The cabinetry was top tier, with a finish that was stunning. Perfect. But, for me it was about the performance. I am somewhat familiar with Justin's workmanship and have grown to expect a high level of commitment to anything he does - but the three ways exceeded my expectations. I heard very little at the show that were their equal, and hung around listening longer than expected because they really did shine. Very, very nice.

Best of luck to one of the good guys in audio.

I'm trying to make something happen for a review! 

I like what Justin and Gregg are doing!!! The Cornwall is a good design. To me, they're just proving that Paul was on to something very Big!!!!! Paul had the dream, realized it, made it, and now a new generation of designers are running with that vision and dream!!!! 

Well, our friend Gregg has joined the Cornscala frenzy and it seems the Stereophile people are all over them!!! He calls them the Rivals. His are only $7900

071016-Volti-600.jpg

When was this from? The Alura is essentially a cornscala in 2 separate boxes. A more compact version would be better. I wonder if there's any bracing in that cabinet.

Edit: compact box not better, but neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Grizzog

When was this from? The Alura is essentially a cornscala in 2 separate boxes. A more compact version would be better. I wonder if there's any bracing in that cabinet.
Just posted on the Audiophile website on July 10, in the Capital Audio Fest review.

Bruce

I showed the speakers to some friends and their conclusions were all the same- at that price point, they either have to be sold with a 100% money back guarantee (including shipping charges both ways), or they have to be demonstrated alongside other, comparably priced, speakers.  As Dean pointed out, that's probably not possible in most parts of the country due to a paucity of high end dealers, so exposure would be extremely limited.  There's a reason why so many sellers of audio equipment offer a return privilege (even when the equipment is custom made, such as Decware).  There's also the issue of buying such costly speakers from a builder who is unknown.  What protections are in place to ensure service if Justin goes out of business and a speaker fails?  I'm all for being an entrepreneur, but I can't see this being successful unless a magazine like Stereophile reviews them and gives them their blessing.

Maynard

In most big time speaker purchases the buyer chooses from sales tactics and/or marketing alone.  Who in their right mind with 50K+ to blow on speakers has the time to go to the dealer and have a sit down?  Very few I'm guessing.  I bet in many cases the decorators and/or "handlers" of the uber owners actually pull the trigger on what they want and how it will look in said home. Once you hit a certain level, everything is judged on a price tag.

Why not buy a set of K-horn cabs and just shop on condition and veneer.  Scrap the components, Buy a set of quality mid horns, mid drivers and tweeters. Then you could get Dean or Bob to build you a set of truly, quality AA's.   You could easily have some of the best sounding K's possible for under $6K.   OR, you could just buy a set of used Jubs for a little less and be well ahead of everyone else at that point.

Edited by Max2

.  There's also the issue of buying such costly speakers from a builder who is unknown.  What protections are in place to ensure service if Justin goes out of business and a speaker fails? 

Maynard

Drivers should be covered by a manufactures warranty and cabinets rarely go bad if they are built properly.

Not defending anybody here just giving out information and assurance for interested parties.

Them is some ugly loudspeakers - but at least the price is bearable. Good drivers in those things and a simple filter - I would imagine they sound really nice.

Agreed. Volti's other offerings are absolutely beautiful. ...maybe these are just prototypes.

Well, our friend Gregg has joined the Cornscala frenzy and it seems the Stereophile people are all over them!!! He calls them the Rivals. His are only $7900071016-Volti-600.jpg

Edit: compact box not better, but neat.

Capital Audio Fest 2016, on the Stereophile site :)

"I just spent $30,000 for a set of ... Hudson's. For $20k more I could have had the Edsels. "

Guffaw.

They look nice. I imagine they will sell very well in spite of the kinda blah name. Lots of anxious money out there

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk