KP-201 for home use

First impressions? "Sheesh, all I hear is cabinet and mid-horn!"

The symptoms were clear. Lack of dynamics and sense of ease at low volume. Absence of desire to push louder. But when pushed louder, things sounded notably better. That doesn't usually make sense, right?

I came thiiiiis close to posting a thread asking when the crossovers start to get cranky on these, since a speaker made in the early 2000s seems a bit young to need those. I was ready to declare that Klipsch had come a longer way than I thought with their current designs. Then I added up the symptoms. Nothing but mid-horn and cabinet? Which frequencies punch through thick nylon mesh easier than others?

As much as I like the look of the grilles, they eat just about everything coming out of that top horn. Taking them off fixed everything, and now I see why these speakers have been around for so long. They're surprisingly neutral, and I'm having a tough time pinpointing exactly what it is about them that gives the sound so much sparkle. I'll have to post a comparison to the RP-280Fs sometime in the future, but already I'm very pleased! $200 has never sounded this good.

Edited by chriswhotakesphotos
  • Like 2

Got 'em!

Yes you did!  :emotion-19:

I liked the pic too.  It was more than just the usual pics of the s/n's and the front grills.  Very interesting angle.  :smile:

Thanks! Their unusual dimensions do make them photogenic, I may do more pictures with them at some point.

I'm still getting used to hearing the cabinets so much; I think once I rearrange my listening space into something a little more permanent they might be a bit better. I do seem to notice it less when seated in just the right spot.

They're a little different in the crossover department, but I can't say exactly what. I'm sure the schematics are here somewhere. If it's a KP201 II, it'll have a different jack plate, and tractrix style horn which if memory serves will be a K762 (smaller motor than K792) 

They do look perhaps a tad dry. Dust them off with a tack cloth and apply some Watco rejuvenating oil per recommendations on the can and watch that oak grain really pop! 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

They're a little different in the crossover department, but I can't say exactly what. I'm sure the schematics are here somewhere. If it's a KP201 II, it'll have a different jack plate, and tractrix style horn which if memory serves will be a K762 (smaller motor than K792) 

They do look perhaps a tad dry. Dust them off with a tack cloth and apply some Watco rejuvenating oil per recommendations on the can and watch that oak grain really pop! 

I'll have to try that! On the note of cleaning, actually, can one safely dust inside the horns without damaging anything? I think the old owner had a cat, there's fairly pervasive dust on them that, when wiped off with a finger, smells like (clean!) cat litter dust. I know it to be a bit abrasive, I've had it mess up discs that had been left out and can be a pain to wipe off of things. It's not a -thick- layer, and is actually across the front of the speaker in the shape of the grille openings so I think much of it was caught by the grilles, but I'd still like to dust it all off. (Paper cone seems like it's on there for good, though)