RIP Gordie Howe

Zim.

RIP

Got to see him net his 1000th goal in 1977 against the Birmingham Bulls. I was only 13 at the time but remember it well.

Dec. 7, 1977

In his 30th season, 49-year-old Gordie Howe becomes the first to score 1,000 goals, including regular season and playoffs in both the National Hockey League and World Hockey Association. In his first year with the New England Whalers of the WHA, Howe is standing to the left of the net during a power play when he pounces on a bouncing puck off a rebound and drills it past Birmingham Bulls goaltender John Garrett at 1:36 of the first period. It's his first goal in 11 games.

"Thank God it's over," says Howe after the Whalers' 6-3 victory in Birmingham. "I'm a lucky boy. All my dreams have been answered."

Howe scored 786 regular-season and 68 playoff goals in 25 years with the Detroit Red Wings before notching 121 regular-season and 19 playoff goals with the Houston Aeros of the WHA. Tonight's goal is his sixth with the Whalers.

Edited by JL Sargent

Gordie Howe was once asked why he didn't wear a helmet.  After all, he did wear a cup. 

His reply was, "I can pay other people to think for me..."

RIP, Gordie.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 3

I lived in the Houston area when Gordie and his sons Mark and Marty played with the WHA Houston Aeros.  I was at the game the night Gordie earned his 2000th career point (goals + assists).  I actually have that goal on an 8mm Kodachrome somewhere, that I shot using an old wind-up Kodak movie camera. I was in high school at the time.  RIP Gordie.

Edited by Seadog