Klipsch Carrying Capacity: Vehicle Specs / Best Practices

Tromprof met me for a handoff of a LaScala that fit nicely in his Prius and had to be shoehorned into the trunk of my Crown Vic.

Years ago when I asked here whether a pair of Khorns would fit in a Dodge minivan, one reply was "why wouldn't you just use 6X9's?"

I knew at that point I'd be at home here

• Like 2

I have fit a pair of Cornwalls in a 4 door Silverado back seat area, A pair of Heresy in the back seat area of a Silverado extended cb. Klipschorns in a 4x8 Uhaul with the top hats off. Epic CF-2 in the back seat area of a Silverado extended cab. A single Heresy in the passenger seat of a Silverado (seat belt around it). 

I keep furniture pads in the toolbox of my extended cab Silverado. Judy and I have unloaded Klipschorns by ourselves, and up the steps of our house (twice). Belles and La Scalas have always gone in a trailer or in the bed of one of the pickups. We also have a 15 passenger Ford Econoline with three seats removed as an option for hauling.  

• Like 1

Just to make some feel normal, this is what you do when out of options with a 6 hour drive one way and really need want them. 

Surprised we didn't get pulled over. 

But to go with the inside of the vehicle idea Cornwall lll's in there boxes will fit it that same jeep with the back seat down, very little room to spare. 2000 Jeep Cherokee. 

Forte ll's easily in the back, had heresy's in the back for car speakers for a long time but that took to much space to be convenient but it did sound good. 

mwm-5 (2) copy.jpg

That's really impressive.  I did something similar with my old Camry as I had a very limited time-window to pick up a pair of split La Scala speakers and no opportunity to rent the cargo van for a day. One bass bin strapped (I had the thick straps with the ratchet and heavy rubber bungee cords to the roof of the car (tried to find a spot where the roof would not cave in) and one bass bin strapped in a similar manner wedged into, but hanging out of the trunk. The top hats were squeezed inside the car.

With one of those small compact cars, if semi-regular hauling is in order, maybe a sturdy roof rack similar to this guy is the way to go.

_ roof cargo rack .jpg

post-36163-0-53440000-1465702919_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

• Moderators
I did something similar with my old Camry as I had a very limited time-window to pick up a pair of split La Scala speakers and no opportunity to rent the cargo van for a day. One bass bin strapped (I had the thick straps with the ratchet and heavy rubber bungee cords to the roof of the car (tried to find a spot where the roof would not cave in) and one bass bin strapped in a similar manner wedged into, but hanging out of the trunk. The top hats were squeezed inside the car.

I don't feel so bad now, they were factory built and I really needed them for measurements to build my own in Oak. These bins ended up being the yard speakers later, which turned out better than expected. That carrier was built just to haul those bins, it was only used one other time but not for speakers.  

• 11 months later...

2016 mazda CX5

Picked up

monster power conditioner

B&k 200.7 amp

B&K reference 50 pre amp

2 Rf7's

1 RC7

1 rsw 15

bunch of speaker wire and rca cables 

laid the back seats down and put the rf7s in through the back seat doors so each were laying next to each other across the back of the back seat with blanket in between.  Rsw 15 rc7 and monster power conditioner laid on the mat in the trunk region of the suv nothing touching or placed on top of one another.  the amp and pre amp barely fit on the front passenger seat floor figured the weight of the amp could slice the leather seat if I hit a bump.  It is a good thing the wife didn't come on this trip.  everything made it home unscathed after the 4 hour trip.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2016 at 7:54 PM, onemoretime said:

2010 Honda Fit Sport

Won't fit a single Klipschorn, unless on its side and even with precautions folks advised against it.

Can carry a single La Scala, but definitely not two.

Can carry a pair of Epic CF-3's and anything smaller.

Don't know about a pair of Cornwall or Heresy - possibly the latter.

Cargo dimensions (conservative & based largest poss. rectangles):

• Main cargo area: 52" L x 40" W x 32" H
  • Forward cargo area (rear seats folded down): 30" L x 50" W x 36" H
  • Rear cargo area (hatch w/o privacy cover, minus rear seating area): 28" L x 40" W x 32" H
  • Rear hatch opening: 33" W x 26" H
  • Rear door opening: 20" W x 30" H

I could give dimensions for when the rear seats are folded up, but the floor is uneven and fitting speakers is less than optimal in this space.

Hope this helps!

My wife got a pair of Klipsch Forte Is home in the back seat of a 2003 Honda Accord.  That pretty much maxed out the Honda's storage capacity: I don't think we would have been able to move Choruses and LaScalas would be right out.

Nearly forgot, I did pick up a pair of RP-280Fs in a friend's 2-door Volkswagen Golf once. The length was just fine with the seats down, but I don't think we put anything in between them. Just drove carefully! If I recall, we put them at an angle like this so they'd be less likely to tip over. Just keep in mind that the MDF cabinets can dent, particularly on edges! And that the vinyl exterior can be encouraged to peel off! That didn't happen with mine, but I would at the very least put a blanket under them next time.

Image may contain: indoor

On 6/10/2016 at 0:27 PM, wvu80 said:

Excellent topic! 

+++

Mustang Guy and I recently moved 180 pound Khorns fully assembled (top hat on) in an upright position using a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer.  That was a $20 one-day rental.  It is a two-person job to load and unload easily.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

If you have a Reese hitch this is highly recommended.

Enclosed5x8Large.png

Good to know Dave I will be doing using the same setup this weekend hopefully.

• Like 2

i wish i would have got pics of my many klipsch hauls on a 1997 jeep cherokee. dont have the dimensions off hand. 

i got a pair of k-horns in there, 2 times!  tops off with bass bins in the back on their sides (no harm hauling them this way) then one top stuffed on its side with barely enough room to close the back.  the other top was in the passenger seat. 

but the best & biggest haul that i was amazed fit was 2 pair of chorus 2, 1 academy & 4 kg1.  & 5, yes 5, adcom gfa555ii amps.  speakers were stuffed to the roof in the back & the amps were on the passenger seat & floor with a pair of kg's on teh center console area.  i dont believe i got them all in there & probably couldnt do it again!  

No problem loading Cornwalls into a 2008 Toyota Sienna with rear and middle row seats folded down/forward.  Didn't snap a picture, though.

I once managed to put an NEC 26" CRT TV into a 1986 Toyota MR2, now that was tight.

However, bottom line, if there's a will, there's a way...

woman with sticks.jpg

• Like 1

I got my khorns in the back of my tundra with a bed cap on. There were a ton of screws to remove the tophats from my 1967 khorns, so we laid them down with padding all around opposite of each other. We tied them up so they didn't rock back and forth and I drove very carefully home.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...