Klipsch Carrying Capacity: Vehicle Specs / Best Practices

My 1974 La Scalas arrived from the vintage hi-fi shop in a small pickup with a camper top, wrapped in moving blankets.  That was the beginning of this madness.

My vehicle was a Dodge Grand Caravan, a 1998 model that I drove for many years.  Now I have a 2012 model, but haven't picked up any speakers with it yet.

Anyway, a pair of Heresy IIs sat easily on the 3rd seat of the '98 model.

A pair of Belles fit easily in the mid section, with the 2nd seat removed.

Finally, a pair or La Scala IIs in their original 4 boxes just barely fit inside the Grand Caravan.  It was really full, and that was with the 2nd seat removed.

The newer van has Stow-N-Go seats, which would make it much easier to stow the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the floor and load in from the back.

On 6/10/2016 at 9:31 PM, Matthews said:

Indeed my friend.  '05 Outback, two R-115SW's with room to spare

One pair of La Scala's, well lets just say I have done that a time or two as well :) - inches to spare

My little Subaru is a Klipsch hauling beast :P

My '07 Forester easily carries standard LaScalas. It wouldn't work if they were in boxes, though. They go in crossways and fit with an inch or so to spare between the wheel wells.

TIP:

If you fold seats down, have a piece of 1/2 inch mdf/particle board cut to fit between the wheel wells. This was the seat hinges and seams on the floor are covered. With an old wool blanket, anything you lay in there will easily slide up to the back of the front seats.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, tipatina said:

Cornwalls in CRV (2016) with back seat down/flattened? Has anyone been successful, looks close by measurements of CRV space. 

Sounds familiar. In any case, depending upon the distance, can crack windows and even if having to crack the trunk workabt.

Would take precautions like mask(hardly effective but, that, along with breaks in stopping, could manage. Proceed with caution but, between the front seat adjusting .. anyway, someone knows.

• 3 years later...

When I brought my Khorns home in the back of my Ford Ranger I took the time to wrap them in cardboard and taped them up tightly before driving with them exposed to the elements.

My thinking was that I did not want to be driving at highway speeds with the pressure of the air from the wind blowing against the tweeter or mid horn diaphragms or the woofer cone and pushing against them in the "wrong" direction? Or letting any tiny particles of road debris, insects, dust, etc. get forced inside the drivers?

I have oftentimes wondered if I was being too cautious? Or, if it did not matter?

By the way,  I bought my pre-owned Khorns at a really low price and soon discovered that both pairs of woofers and tweeters had to be replaced (due to non-air pressure related issues) - so it turned out that it did not really matter anyway (except the midrange speakers have never had to be replaced).

1999 Ford Ranger Step Side.jpg

8 hours ago, blindman said:

<snip> I have oftentimes wondered if I was being too cautious? Or, if it did not matter? <snip>

I'm not sure if one can be too cautious. 

Long ago, I was told that when shipping speakers, it is best to ship them with the woofers facing up or down. It made sense to me because of the cone's natural direction of travel and that lightly loaded heavy suspension trucks transfer the bumps of the road into the cargo, similar to hitting everything with a heavy rubber mallet. For lightweight trucks and cars, it shouldn't matter. 
If an RB75 or RC7 were shipped facing only up or down, the drivers, probably, would break the horns. 

b.gif.2663a63b8d75043b5e68916634447c7c.gif

3 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I'm not sure if one can be too cautious. 

Long ago, I was told that when shipping speakers, it is best to ship them with the woofers facing up or down. It made sense to me because of the cone's natural direction of travel and that lightly loaded heavy suspension trucks transfer the bumps of the road into the cargo, similar to hitting everything with a heavy rubber mallet. For lightweight trucks and cars, it shouldn't matter. 

But my LaScala IIs came from Hope upright on a pallet.

And judging by the shipping labels, so did my Cornwalls.

Just sayin’...

• Like 1