Klipsch Carrying Capacity: Vehicle Specs / Best Practices

Hi Folks,

I recently considered buying a single Klipschorn, and the fine members of this forum were very helpful about what I could / could not do with my wife's Honda Fit. As a service to others, I'm starting this thread to talk about cargo space and what it takes to haul some of the larger Klipsch speakers.

Inquiring minds will want to know:

• Size of vehicle openings - trunks, hatches, doors, etc. (width x height of narrowest part)
  • Cargo dimensions: width x length x height, free of any obstacles such as wheel wells
  • Which Klipsch speakers will safely fit in said vehicle
  • Tricks for angling stuff in for maximum hauling potential
  • Where to rent / who on this board is crazy enough to help you in your local area

Excellent topic! 

+++

Mustang Guy and I recently moved 180 pound Khorns fully assembled (top hat on) in an upright position using a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer.  That was a $20 one-day rental.  It is a two-person job to load and unload easily.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/AV/

If you have a Reese hitch this is highly recommended.

Enclosed5x8Large.png

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Excellent topic! 

+++

I moved Khorns upright with a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul.  That was a $20 one-day rental.  It is a two-person job to load and unload easily.

If you have a Reese hitch this would be highly recommended.

Enclosed5x8Large.png

Thanks for posting! Did you wrap them, strap them in, use pads?

Did you wrap them, strap them in, use pads?

We used 1" straps which thread through the square tie-down slots which are all around the inside of the Uhaul so there are plenty of options to secure the straps inside the trailer. The straps were hand tightened lightly then hand-tied.

The Khorns went as far forward in the trailer as possible, upright.  I don't remember the L/R orientation, maybe Craig can remember, but the blankets were taped and the speakers secured against each other away from the side walls. 

We rented eight heavy duty Uhaul blankets for $10.  These are large, very clean and heavy duty thick felt.  One blanket will completely cover one speaker, so 8 blankets were too much.  The blanket was wrapped around the outside of the speaker using heavy-duty clear 3M shipping tape.

We had a small $20 furniture dolly but it was more convenient to simply but carefully lift the speaker into into the trailer, and lift or scoot it on a blanket to move it within the trailer.  The dolly is very helpful for rolling the speaker for longer distances.  It was useful and recommended, but not essential.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Did you wrap them, strap them in, use pads?

We used 1" straps which thread through the square tie-down slots which are all around the inside of the Uhaul so there are plenty of options to secure the straps inside the trailer. The straps were hand tightened lightly then hand-tied.

Did you put furniture pads between the straps and the cabinets?

• Like 1

2010 Honda Fit Sport

Won't fit a single Klipschorn, unless on its side and even with precautions folks advised against it.

Can carry a single La Scala, but definitely not two.

Can carry a pair of Epic CF-3's and anything smaller.

Don't know about a pair of Cornwall or Heresy - possibly the latter.

Cargo dimensions (conservative & based largest poss. rectangles):

• Main cargo area: 52" L x 40" W x 32" H
  • Forward cargo area (rear seats folded down): 30" L x 50" W x 36" H
  • Rear cargo area (hatch w/o privacy cover, minus rear seating area): 28" L x 40" W x 32" H
  • Rear hatch opening: 33" W x 26" H
  • Rear door opening: 20" W x 30" H

I could give dimensions for when the rear seats are folded up, but the floor is uneven and fitting speakers is less than optimal in this space.

Hope this helps!

Edited by onemoretime
  • Like 1

Matthews carried LaScalas and 2 SW-115's that I think I saw pics of. Seems like it was or is a Subaru Outback. Lol, Is that correct Matt?

Indeed my friend.  '05 Outback, two R-115SW's with room to spare

One pair of La Scala's, well lets just say I have done that a time or two as well :) - inches to spare

I've seen Matthews haul many speakers in his Subaru Outback! A pair of La Scalas fits just right. Even saw him squeeze 3 Chorus I's in that little powerhouse.

My little Subaru is a Klipsch hauling beast :P

• Like 2

• Moderators

Just to make some feel normal, this is what you do when out of options with a 6 hour drive one way and really need want them. 

Surprised we didn't get pulled over. 

But to go with the inside of the vehicle idea Cornwall lll's in there boxes will fit it that same jeep with the back seat down, very little room to spare. 2000 Jeep Cherokee. 

Forte ll's easily in the back, had heresy's in the back for car speakers for a long time but that took to much space to be convenient but it did sound good. 

post-9700-0-53800000-1465611959_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

On 6/10/2016 at 7:26 PM, onemoretime said:
Did you put furniture pads between the straps and the cabinets?

Yes.  We made sure the strap touched the blanket, not the wood or the speaker.  And since we used one blanket per speaker, the speakers were double cushioned against each other which allowed for a little bit of a suspension.  They were not going to scoot anywhere and no chance they would topple.

The straps were tightened by hand, there was no turnbuckle or ratchet.

• Like 1