Klipsch Cornwall

Steve G

Someone has already mentioned it, but I'll repeat it.  There was a transition year for cornwalls, where the 1's and II's characteristics blended.  The year was 1985.  This is what you have.  So, the tag says Cornwall and the SN says CII, and it may have screw connectors rather than binding posts.  I don't know if it uses the I or II drivers, but i'd suspect II; you'd have to check with someone who knows more than me.

Regardless, I have both I's and II's, and they're both great.

• Like 1

post-63399-0-44880000-1466253894_thumb.jI was told these were built in February of 1985. Definitely Cornwall II's as you can see in the attachment. I'm receiving on Wednesday and can't wait. Already have new terminated speaker cable so I'll be ready to go. Thanks all!

Someone has already mentioned it, but I'll repeat it. There was a transition year for cornwalls, where the 1's and II's characteristics blended. The year was 1985. This is what you have. So, the tag says Cornwall and the SN says CII, and it may have screw connectors rather than binding posts. I don't know if it uses the I or II drivers, but i'd suspect II; you'd have to check with someone who knows more than me.

Regardless, I have both I's and II's, and they're both great.

My 84's have CW-I cabinets but CW-II internals. K-33 woofer, k-57-k midrange, k-79 tweeters and B3 crossovers. The drivers mount from the inside and there is access panel in the back.

Unofficially these were called CW-1.5's.

That was all before they were turned into Cornscalas....

Edited by Mighty Favog

I received the speakers. They sound great but may get a titanium diaphragm upgrade from Bob Crites. The backs cannot be removed. Cabinet is plywood. I believe they are early model Cornwall II's. They are also in absolutely fantastic condition. Previous owner really took care of them as the veneer and cabinet in general look furniture grade throughout. I'm attaching some photos.

post-63399-0-12500000-1466816245_thumb.j

post-63399-0-34580000-1466816263_thumb.j

• Like 1

I received the speakers. They sound great but may get a titanium diaphragm upgrade...

Why?

After listening to them I don't think I'll make any modifications. They sound fantastic as they are.

• Like 1

Has anyone just done a crossover upgrade or rebuild on 30+ year old Cornwalls? If so which did you use and what were the benefits?

When I had mine the first thing I did was order the Crites replacement crossover. Definitely a better sound. Kind of when you give a hot rod a fresh tune up.

This is a little off the subject, but I was wondering about which speaker would give better base response.  I have Forte II's, with the 15" passive radiator in back, and am considering a pair of Cornwalls instead.  The Cornwall is ported in the front, so I can place it closer to the wall (which I need to do).  Will the Cornwalls have better low end than the Forte's?  And how much better a speaker is the Cornwall than the Forte?  

This is a little off the subject, but I was wondering about which speaker would give better base response. I have Forte II's, with the 15" passive radiator in back, and am considering a pair of Cornwalls instead. The Cornwall is ported in the front, so I can place it closer to the wall (which I need to do). Will the Cornwalls have better low end than the Forte's? And how much better a speaker is the Cornwall than the Forte?

I built a pair of cornwall I replicas for a friend of mine and he sold his pair of forte II speakers after the cornwall's were finished. I'm not sure how they compared in bass, but I know he loved the cornwalls a lot more then the forte's.