BackBum Buster Sub

derrickdj1

Thanks Derrick. I realize my sub setup will have cost more than the rest of my system combined...but thats largely because i got great deals on each component.

Coming to the realization that almost all subs at stores are not sufficient and one of any sub wont make a HT great is a process. Its been surprising and eye opening to realize just how difficult it is to fill a ht room with enough low end bass to really reproduce a movie properly.

I told a friend I was selling my RSW and his reaction was "oh? Was it overkill in your room?" shows just how far ive come in 6 months.

Full Bass Addict

What can I say, friends grow apart.   :)

• Like 1

Derrick, you should have invested in a track saw by now (I don't believe I've read where you have).  Once you do, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner, I know I did.

I don't even know what a track saw is, lol.  I will have to look next time I'm at the store.

Its been surprising and eye opening to realize just how difficult it is to fill a ht room with enough low end bass to really reproduce a movie properly.

The RSW and similar subs are good but, you are becoming a bass head, he, he.

I cut the baffles and dry fitted everything before the next step.

post-50685-0-51880000-1466106167_thumb.j

post-50685-0-53480000-1466106196_thumb.j

post-50685-0-65120000-1466106211_thumb.j

• Like 2

Tomorrow or later today I will test fit the driver and make the holes for mounting.  I also need to do the speaker terminal cup and pull out some wire.  The top was only $18 and is perfect width wise.  I will cut the rest to size.  Note the thickness of this sub.  It is only 18 in. deep for easier placement.  My other subs are 22-25 in. deep.,

Carl, this is pine wood.  It was cheaper than the BB, lol.  It is nice not having all the dust from the MDF.  I will have to see how this compares weight wise to the Mini and Marty subs.  It seem lighter.

post-50685-0-94480000-1466106437_thumb.j

post-50685-0-86440000-1466106458_thumb.j

post-50685-0-20720000-1466106469_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Thanks Derrick. I realize my sub setup will have cost more than the rest of my system combined...but thats largely because i got great deals on each component.

Coming to the realization that almost all subs at stores are not sufficient and one of any sub wont make a HT great is a process. Its been surprising and eye opening to realize just how difficult it is to fill a ht room with enough low end bass to really reproduce a movie properly.

I told a friend I was selling my RSW and his reaction was "oh? Was it overkill in your room?" shows just how far ive come in 6 months.

Full Bass Addict

What can I say, friends grow apart.   :)

One of the funniest quips I've seen on this forum  :emotion-21:

You need a track saw and a Jasper Jig.

i don't even know how people make subs without these? Invest Derrick!

FATHER'S DAY GIFTS.........hmmmm???

Good idea. If dad doesn't have a router, then one of those too...

This reminds me that my expensive router bit is toast. I keep forgetting to get one when I'm out.

Been busy doing other stuff for the past couple of days.  I had a few hours tonight and got the speaker terminal in and the driver bolted to the T-nuts on the baffle.  Tomorrow, mount the baffle and glue in the box.  Slap the top on and sand things on Monday.

I have not figured out if I will only glue the marble type top or If I should bolted down also.

I will consider the router and track saw since I have two more subs after this one. :(

I used the UM 18 in the BackBum Buster.  The driver is a bit dust in the sub box but, I glued the t-nuts into the baffle and could not easily get the screw to go all the way thur.  So, I mounted in the garage instead of waiting til I moved the sub downstairs.  I will use the SI HT in the second and third box.  The UM 18 is stronger and would work but, I should be able to reach full excursion with 1000 watts.  This is ideal for the SI HT.  They will like the 17 cu ft. box.  I may add wheels to the 17 cu ft. box.

Bracing is done in the second sub, I think, lol.  The 17.5 cu ft. box is tuned to 14 Hz.  I think I will change the name from Aftershock to Deep Invader, lol.  The sub is 48X 36 X 24.

post-50685-0-90100000-1466463239_thumb.j

post-50685-0-85060000-1466463251_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1

The SI HT 18 is perfect for large boxes.  The sub guru, LTD02 designed the box and modeled it.  A friend uses the SI HT 18 in 4 large ported Stonehammer subs, also designed by LTD02.  His 4 Stonehammer subs can make you pant legs flap from 20 ft. away in a 2700 cu ft. room.  The SI HT 18 will reach Xmax at roughly 1000 watts at 14.5 Hz.  The UM 18 can also work in the Deep Invader sub but, the difference in extension and spl is not much.  I could do the same output and extension with the UM 18 in a bit smaller box.  So, UM 18 would be a bit over kill.  With that said, I may still use the UM 18 since the SI HT 18's are in a dual box which won't be much use missing one driver.  Once I get the other Deep Invader built, I will pull the UM 18 driver and use the two SI drivers in the Deep Invader.

Edited by derrickdj1

Pic of the top and the need block in the bottom right corner of the sub.  The marble top and baffle will be glued and left to dry overnight and the Deep Invader will have the baffle glued in tomorrow along with the driver.

post-50685-0-23740000-1466549249_thumb.j

post-50685-0-27420000-1466549265_thumb.j

post-50685-0-58420000-1466549354_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1