BackBum Buster Sub

derrickdj1

The SI HT 18 is perfect for large boxes.  The sub guru, LTD02 designed the box and modeled it.  A friend uses the SI HT 18 in 4 large ported Stonehammer subs, also designed by LTD02.  His 4 Stonehammer subs can make you pant legs flap from 20 ft. away in a 2700 cu ft. room.  The SI HT 18 will reach Xmax at roughly 1000 watts at 14.5 Hz.  The UM 18 can also work in the Deep Invader sub but, the difference in extension and spl is not much.  I could do the same output and extension with the UM 18 in a bit smaller box.  So, UM 18 would be a bit over kill.  With that said, I may still use the UM 18 since the SI HT 18's are in a dual box which won't be much use missing one driver.  Once I get the other Deep Invader built, I will pull the UM 18 driver and use the two SI drivers in the Deep Invader.

i was told to look at group delay for the si in large ported boxes.. not too sure as all that stuff gets above me.  just thought i would share

• Like 1

Having read the entire martysub faq thread i can confirm the original design of the subs was the SIHT18 (shxt!!!! Lol). They were originally under 200 each as a group buy for a great 18 that worked. Now SI offers an 18 that performs and costs more like the umax.

Having read the entire martysub faq thread i can confirm the original design of the subs was the SIHT18 (shxt!!!! Lol). They were originally under 200 each as a group buy for a great 18 that worked. Now SI offers an 18 that performs and costs more like the umax.

i payed 159 shipped when they were discontinued. Ordered 4. Them figured why not a couple more and placed a second order for two more.

Looking back that was an insane price.  The guy who made those must really have wanted to help everybody out at that price.  The 18HO from Dayton now is I think like $260, which is the closest to it I think.  

So on a tangent Scrappy, Gates, Arthur Bryants, or some other one I've never been to for your fave Cue?

The SI HT can certainly bang for HT and is also good for music.  I brought two of them when they were being discontinued. 

First coat of paint is on the Deep Invader.  Then I went back and sanded some spots.  I may paint it tonight or in the morning but, this one is almost done.

post-50685-0-42340000-1466729108_thumb.j

post-50685-0-16340000-1466729134_thumb.j

• Like 1

Derrick that sub looks ALMOST as big as the kpt-884 sub. You should post a picture planking on top of it.

It's the size of a small frig, lol.  I put them both in the basement and was thinking I will take a break before building the next Deep Invader.  I got them both downstair and tested them, WoW, is all I can say.  The BackBum Buster is exactly that behind the couch and the Deep Invader makes you look around the room to see what will give.  This was with only 6 subs running on Transformers Age of Ext.

Next week on to the second Deep Invader.  It should go a bit quicker since I have just built one.

post-50685-0-17060000-1466804380_thumb.j

post-50685-0-72060000-1466804397_thumb.j

post-50685-0-81980000-1466804413_thumb.j

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Derrick that sub looks ALMOST as big as the kpt-884 sub. You should post a picture planking on top of it.

It's the size of a small frig, lol.  I put them both in the basement and was thinking I will take a break before building the next Deep Invader.  I got them both downstair and tested them, WoW, is all I can say.  The BackBum Buster is exactly that behind the couch and the Deep Invader makes you look around the room to see what will give.  This was with only 6 subs running on Transformers Age of Ext.

Next week on to the second Deep Invader.  It should go a bit quicker since I have just built one.

Lol people probably go into your basement and ask,

"Wow! you have a lot of subwoofers! Is that a table behind your couch?"

"Nah, its another subwoofer..."

• Like 2

"Wow! you have a lot of subwoofers! Is that a table behind your couch?" "Nah, its another subwoofer..."

The big boxes certainly standout when guest come over but, they are not overly intrusive due to room size.  I am going from 10  large drivers down to 8.  The dual driver boxes are gone and the system is now a vented bass system except for one remaining sealed sub.  That may become an end table.  This system will have considerable more output from 15 Hz and up.

post-50685-0-33320000-1467238867_thumb.j

post-50685-0-20640000-1467238878_thumb.j

"Wow! you have a lot of subwoofers! Is that a table behind your couch?" "Nah, its another subwoofer..."

The big boxes certainly standout when guest come over but, they are not overly intrusive due to room size.  I am going from 10  large drivers down to 8.  The dual driver boxes are gone and the system is now a vented bass system except for one remaining sealed sub.  That may become an end table.  This system will have considerable more output from 15 Hz and up.

Thats a pretty wicked setup. How did you choose the placement and eq everything? I have read on multiple sources the subs spread strategically around the room have a more even response for seating positions etc.