Joined the Klipsch club today

kentcroy

As if one pair of CF-3s weren't enough, I bought a second pair today, they are series one, almost a 9/10 condition in black. The bad, owner says one tweeter doesn't work.

The good, I bought two un-used K-63-KNs in the deal.

Wow, was that lucky!  Those are unobtanium, you almost never see those for sale.  They have neo magnets, were very expensive when they were for sale, and there has not been diaphragms available for years.

This is the best thread on CF-3's you will find.  It has all the background info you need and includes many refinish and mod threads.  

Klipsch Epic Owners Group.

Edited by wvu80

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,
So, after buying two pairs of Epic CF-3s, I was again looking on CL, and there was a pair of KG 5.2s for sale locally, so local, we live on the same street, went and checked them out, 9/10 cosmetically, a small amount of sun damage, nothing some light sanding and some fresh oil can't fix, $300, I think I did ok. Also got a SC-1 for $30 too. Now, I get them hooked up in the bedroom, where I planned to put them, streaming flac files off of my PS3 into my Onkyo TX-NR 709, as a pre for my Adcom GFA 555 II, man, it was sounding good. Was cranking some AC/DC, Hells Bells, then some Steely Dan, Aja, sounded great, if not a bit forward, so I went into the menu settings, was working on tweaking the sound when all of a sudden it turned itself off, into standby mode, hmmm. So, I hit the power button, and I hear a high pitched whistle sound, and that's when the magic blue smoke came out of the top of the AVR [emoji20][emoji35][emoji37]. I only gave $200 for the Onkyo, but I got less than two years out of it. And considering that the main HDMI port on my other Onkyo, a TX-NR 809, quit working, I think I'm done with Onkyo. Within five minutes I found a Pioneer Elite SC 68 on CL, he's asking $350. I can get a brand new Harmon Kardan, with wifi, etc for $400 on Amazon, gonna have to sleep on it. BTW, the guy that sold me the KGs, also has a Parasound HCA 2200 mk1, that looks brand new, for $300, I think it's going to be coming home with me, I know it's not the mk2, but it's still a John Curl. So my morning will be busy swapping out the AVR for my old Sony, but at least the wife will get to hear the new speakers.
Kent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it's been quite an adventure so far!

I have a pair of KG 5.2s. They're by far the best deal I ever got on a pair of Klipsch speakers; a client gave them to me!

It's hard to say for sure what mine sound like; he said he'd bought them new and never ever used them. So I don't think they're broken in, and with the passive driver, I expect to have to commit quite a bit of listening before they'll sound 100%.

They're definitely closer in sound to my RP-280Fs than my KP-201s (Heresy IIs). Since the crossover is all the way at 1600hz, it's best to sit on the floor (or put the speakers on something) since those frequencies will hide down there otherwise. They do well for music, but I most like them for video games. I find that the higher treble extension (as compared to the KP-201) is great for games like The Legend of Zelda series, where ambient location sound is a big part of the experience.