Wow! 50 dead in early morning night club shooting?

JL Sargent

The question you need to ask yourself is how many criminals are killed by a gun compared to suicides, homicides and accidents...the chances statistically is that a gun will be used in one of those latter instances than in defense against a criminal--That said, in alot of circumstances I can dig why someone may want protection.

You keep dodging and weaving, then slinging out more smoke and mirrors. Thanks for answering by not answering.

So should your loved ones have to defend themselves using a knife if the bad guy (or girl) was using a knife? People kill people, not guns.

My wife is a badass and any guy wanting to do her harm would be in a world of hurt unless he wanted to shoot her from a distance...Of course the same could be true of a loved one who owned a gun. I contend if you have an active shooter and they see a gun that person may be the first person shot.

I really don't think it happens like this.

It was said to prove a point. I have spent a considerable amount of my life helping people deal with violent individuals and understand what the dynamics are.

The point that I made is the criminal shooters, usually, pick a soft target. The other point is that when people have trouble, they, usually, call the police.

Am I wrong on those two statements?

When people have criminals come into their lives they call the police.

Soft targets are easier than hard ones.

More guns kill innocent people than crimimals in the usa.

Edited by Zen Traveler

Again. Cars are mainly used for transportation and no one is articulating getting rid of them. Guns on the other hand were developed for killing and the one in question was developed for the military to kill a lot of people...Bringing a car to a gun fight makes as much sense as driving a gun to the supermarket.

I'm curious. Don't you find it a bit perplexing that a tool developed for killing is being out-killed by a tool developed for transportation but that the public outrage is directed at the tool designed to kill? 

The gun after all, is doing what it was designed to do. The transportation tool is malfunctioning or being used incorrectly. But the outrage is muted?

I'm off topic though. And I'm convinced that the mere mention of guns on these forums is against moderator policy. I've personally been cut short on the subject in a previous thread. 

The fact that this thread has lived this long delving into the various banned subjects is perplexing to say the least.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 3

So should your loved ones have to defend themselves using a knife if the bad guy (or girl) was using a knife? People kill people, not guns.

My wife is a badass and any guy wanting to do her harm would be in a world of hurt unless he wanted to shoot her from a distance...Of course the same could be true of a loved one who owned a gun. I contend if you have an active shooter and they see a gun that person may be the first person shot.
I really don't think it happens like this.
It was said to prove a point. I have spent a considerable amount of my life helping people deal with violent individuals and understand what the dynamics are.
The point that I made is the criminal shooters, usually, pick a soft target. The other point is that when people have trouble, they, usually, call the police.

Am I wrong on those two statements?

When people have criminals come into their lives they call the police.

Soft targets are easier than hard ones.

More guns kill innocent people than crimimals in the usa.

And the crimimals will stop using guns to kill innocent people if we law abiding people dispose of our guns?  :wacko:

• Like 1

Not at all. They actually seem to be trying to make cars safer, but the same can't be said about guns.

I would disagree. Guns are equipped with palm safety and trigger safety in addition to the standard push/switch safety. These are innovations not originally designed in previous renditions.

Edited by Bella

Not at all. They actually seem to be trying to make cars safer, but the same can't be said about guns.

I would disagree. Guns are equipped with palm safety and trigger safety in addition to the standard push/switch safety. These are innovations not originally designed in previous renditions.

To bad the Florida shooter didn't have those engaged.

Thank you.  It was reported that the shooter didn't have any problem walking into a gun store and buying a high-capacity magazine.  That's one thing I'd like to see controlled.

Usually the people who say such things want expanded background checks, but this guy actually obtained these items legally, even though he was being watched for previous incidences. Maybe people should worry about fixing the current system before trying to expand anything.

• Like 1

again, regulated by whom?
Could be the states, as in insurance regulation and election control and monitoring, where I believe states do a good job (as long as Congress doesn't interfere).  Could be the FG, as in ATF, etc. 

Some handguns also incorporate visual cues to help determine if a round is chambered. Another safety feature designed into firearms. 

Realistically, transportation is designed for transportation and not designed to kill. Yet, it out-kills the tool designed to kill. But (and here is where it gets interesting) because society isn't programmed to hate transportation as it is being programmed to hate firearms, there is no outrage. And excuses are subconsciously offered to validate the inconsistency, in order to affirm the programming. It really is that simple. 

• Like 2

I'm curious. Don't you find it a bit perplexing that a tool developed for killing is being out-killed by a tool developed for transportation but that the public outrage is directed at the tool designed to kill?
What are you referring to?  Deaths by auto accident vs gunfire?  Auto deaths have dropped dramatically while gun deaths have stayed high.  It's probably because there isn't an organization like the NRA fighting public health measures to reduce auto mayhem.  If that's what you're referring to. 

The palm safety grip is usually synonymous with the 1911 and has been around since the early 1900's, such as on the 1900 Luger, even though the original 1911's didn't have this feature. Not exactly a recent innovation.

Trigger safety is usually synonymous with Glock, which has been around for like 35 years at this point. It wasn't really designed for upmost safety, it was designed to be simpler to operate for police, all you have to do is draw and shoot. It could be argued that a 1911 with its 116 year old palm safety feature is actually safer, but single action guns tend to freak people out.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

http://gunrundown.com

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org

Please, tell me again how guns are the answer?

All religions have hatred in the roots. Don't point the finger at Muslims, Christians don't have a perfect history either.

And since when is it ok to broad brush one rogue follower who has bastardized the religion into something it's not.

And there are always cells of a beautiful religion that ruin the image for everyone else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_organizations_designated_by_the_Southern_Poverty_Law_Center_as_hate_groups

Those hate groups are predominantly Christian. But- Christianity when lived in a Christ like manner is about peace, and caring, and protecting the poor and sick. Just like the Muslim faith... And most others.

The real issue here is not a religion, or any group of religions as the problem. Instead it's mental instability & the health care system unable to work for/with these people in our country. Mental illness is seen as a real problem with no answer- instead of treating it like the flu, or a broken finger with real treatments. The man was mentally unstable & had too easy access to firearms.

Wow...I always wondered if anyone really believed all that or it was made up by terrorist to open the politically correct pandoras box to doom????? I always wonder if when the terrorist finally nuke somebody if they will still be yakkin about guns.

• Like 1

To bad the Florida shooter didn't have those engaged.

Interesting reply. I would assume because his intent was to do harm? 

Remember the young lady in Las Vegas earlier this year (or late last year) that intentionally plowed her vehicle into a crowed on the strip? Too bad she didn't operate her 'safety' brake pedal as it was designed. Or, did she intentionally plow into those people?

All I can remember is that the reaction to those murders was that she was mentally unstable and needed help. absolutely no mention of the weapon used or outcries to ban transportation. Programming at work. And working on a great many people.

Usually the people who say such things want expanded background checks, but this guy actually obtained these items legally, even though he was being watched for previous incidences. Maybe people should worry about fixing the current system before trying to expand anything.
Expanded BG check are for other things. Why not address all the problems instead of trying to sequence a few fixes at a time?  Reducing magazine sizes hampers reloading.  What's wrong with that?  This killer didn't have to reload even once to kill over 50 people.
  • Like 1