Bass lack in RF7 spectrum

astrodany

Hello!! This is the first post from Danilo (Italy, Rome).

Some time ago I heard for the first time the Heresy III and I'd fallen in love with the Klipsch sound.
I have a preamp valves and an hybrid power amp (40W).

After reading many good reviews, this afternoon I have listened to RF-7 with a Mcintosh 75W power amp (the show room's one).

I could not believe my ears !!!
The lower part of the spectrum was very weak... almost non-existent in comparison with the high and medium-high.
The speakers have zero hours of life and were in a room 3 x 4 meters far about half a meter from the walls .
It seems incredible to me... what do you think ?

Thank you!! Danilo

Hello Rome! First, how about the room ? Are these 7's in the corners? About a 1ft from rear and 2ft from sides to start is nice. Without corners there will be issues with bass, imo. The 7's really need a sub no matter what, the rsw 12/15 will do wonders and will integrate perfectly as one speaker.

first try to get them to their full bass potential which will definitely satisfy you... tower speakers might not be able to provide as much sub bass as subwoofers but they can certainly provide enough bass to thump the chest. Maybe the amp is just not driving them to their potential and may not be able to handle any impedance dips these speakers have.

They were designed as part of an HT setup - to be used in conjunction with the RSW-15 powered subwoofer. Ports in the rear take over at 70Hz, and placement is critical if you want any real bass without the subwoofer. They need to be in corners, and in my room - 10 inches off the wall worked well.

• Like 1

The THX series were designed from the ground up as HT speakers.  The RF-7 is equally as good for 2 channel or HT.

Product Description

The RF-7 Reference Series flagship loudspeaker was designed to provide the highest level of two-channel and multi-channel audio as well as home theater surround sound (with the matching RC-7 center channel, RSW-15 subwoofer and RS-7 rear channel speakers), but its striking metal drivers and real-wood enclosure also make it a desirable complement to any decor. Available in three beautiful furniture-grade veneers — black, maple or cherry — each handcrafted, real-wood finish is unique.

Not really, they were designed to be used with the subwoofer. However, I used them without a subwoofer in a 2-channel setup for almost a decade. In my room, they went down to 40-45Hz. It's a great speaker - very high level of resolving power - so use a good amp/preamp.

• Like 1

I can't find the Sound and Vision Test Report, which disputed both the stated frequency response and sensitivity numbers. They also revealed the 3.2 ohm dips in impedance at 100Hz and 10kHz.

Does anyone here really believe that the RF-7 goes as low or lower than a corner loaded Klipschorn?

It's like looking at the plots they put in the old Heritage brochures. It's probably better if you keep the plots away from the marketing department!

The RF-7, RF-83, and RF-7 II - all have similar low end response. Klipsch factors in room gain (that number used to be +4dB) in their frequency response spec. However, you can clearly see that they factor in quite a bit more than that.