Using pro amp with epic cf-3s?

ducks75

Ok i just picked up a set of cf-3s and have a qsc usa 850 pro amp and was wondering what i have to set the gain controls at and if that amp will hurt those cf-3s? Thats the last thing i want to do is blow the tweeter or woofer with that amp so any suggestions would be great on how to set it up and what i should expect. Thanks in advance guys

You should be fine with that amp at 240wpc. Set the gains by setting a source on the preamp with nothing playing. Turn the preamp volume up to about half point or a tad more the set the gains on the amp all the way up. You should hear some hiss back the gains down till hiss is gone then turn preamp volume back all the way down and play something you're familiar with that's dynamic. Adjust the gains on the amp now to where the channels are balanced out. That's always been the way I did it in car audio with gains. It always depends on what the voltage out is on your preamp as to where the gains get set on the amps. My Carver amp, M-1.0t MKII Opt 002, produces 460wpc on my CF-3's and has no gain control. At least that's a start.

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

My Carver is a home amplifier...not pro version.  It's just had a major overhaul by some Carver "guru's".  I do have a couple of Peavey/Crest amplifiers that I could bi-amp with (one is 300wpc and other is 180wpc) but I don't see the point since there is no power increase and I don't see those sounding better than mine by a long shot.