Cell carriers.

CECAA850

My recent learning.

Out in the boonies, sometimes only one carrier has good service at that location and the local people know this well, and can advise you.

Generally, if you have property down in a hollow, such as on the creek, there are problems.

Interstates have good coverage but a lot of rural property is underserved.

WMcD

I have been happy with Sprint going on 10 years.  At first if I wasn't near the interstate I had poor coverage issues.  In the last 4 years I have traveled to Texas, Florida and now Missouri and haven't had any issues.  Yes there are times I think, is there a better service, then I see the bill and how much data my wife uses and realize I couldn't afford those other services.   I text mostly, so don't have a lot of dropped calls.  I stream Spotify when driving, my wife does all day along with sling tv,  I feel I benefit more staying with Sprint versus another carrier.

I have been considering trying Sprint's hotspot service in place of COX internet as  I am tired of Cox's BS.

Edited by The Dude

Verizon has good coverage but sometimes people will call me and my phone simply doesn't ring.  I'll have 3 bars and it just doesn't ring.  Don't know what's going on.  

My son had that problem with his Verizon (and later ATT) phone service in Valparaiso, IN when he was in school. I have been happier with ATT, but mainly switched as they were one of the first carriers to carry more GSM based phones. Far easier (and cheaper) when spending time overseas to buy a local SIM card, if most of your calling will be local. Then, with wireless internet service available, I could use Viber/Tango/Skype for connecting back to the US.

Bruce

The other problem I'm having is that Verizon / Samsung pushed out an Android update, and ever since then, my phone doesn't work right when it's doing background tasks on the internet.  GPS doesn't work unless the screen is on.  Picture uploads doesn't upload right unless I'm staring at the app.  Social media notifications are weird.  Email pushes are sporadic and sometimes has to be manually refreshed.  It's aggravating.  One update and a nice phone more or less got ruined, and they don't know what to do about it.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Make that 3 bad reviews for Sprint. They're coverage sucks, everywhere except the highway and city's. Their communication systems are proprietary, meaning a Spring phone can only be used for Sprint, locked or unlocked doesn't matter.

Currently and for the past 5.5 years been using AT&T, but have been thinking of switching to Verizon, because of my bill and they argued with me about some calls that were picked up by the Mexican repeater towers. AT&T recently included Mexico at no extra charge, and the issues I use to have with international should be a thing of the past. Been on 2 fishing trips and no extra charges, so it looks like they got that issue sorted out. Now, if I could only get them to drop my bill by $50 bucks, I'll be happy. Got 4 phones on our plan, and the approx. $200/month (w/5 Gig) payments bother me.  It's too much, because my kids don't really call anyone but the wife and I.

Edited by Gilbert

I went to WalMarp 3 years ago and bought a phone for $9.99. Last year, for example, I bought 120 minutes x 2 @ $29.99 per card. Service is as good or better as Verizons was for years, wherever I traveled.

Of course after being on call 24/7 for 36 years I really don't care for cell phones. I don't even answer my front door when someone knocks. Better call first. My phone won't be on.

YMMV.

Keith