1976 Heresy crossover bad

kgodwin

I purchased my Heresy's in 1976 and now, alias, i think one of the cross over's has died. the mid works but the base and tweeter do not. i have not swapped out the cross over with the other speaker to see and verify.

Nope, not smart enough to rebuild it and really at my age well i have to watch money. I have found some crossovers on ebay for about 250 for a set. but my question really is how do i know what is good and what is not. thoughts? ideas or how to help me out

i love my speakers but only one working really hurts. i would not trade them for the world ....

thanks a bunch for any assistance and help

• Like 1

And definitely get both rebuilt, it will do wonders for both of your speakers. The caps on the crossovers are old, replacing these with new caps will bring new life to your speakers. Bob Crites is awesome!

Edited by dtr20

I'm with Mungkiman.

The crossovers are the most robust part of the equipment.  In all the years here, I've never seen one reported at failing.  People report the caps need replacement but that is just to make them sound better -- not that they've failed.  Therefore there is no reason to jump to the conclusion the crossover is bad.

The screw down terminals are often a source of trouble and Mungkiman made a very good suggestion.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you test the drivers.  Disconnect the wires leading to the driver at the crossover screws.  (Keep track of what goes where of course.)  Connect the wires leading to a given driver to a flashlight battery (1.5 volts  AA or up to D)  and a good driver will make a scratching noise.  If you have an ohm meter, you can use that instead, but the battery will work fine.

Let us know what you find. 

If you haven't been naughty with the speakers (i.e. taken them to a drunken pool party with a big amp) I expect the screw down terminals are the problem.

WMcD

The OP mentioned he was going to switch the xovers to see if one was the culprit. Either way, as long as you have them apart you may as well re cap the crossover that is 40 years old. They will sound much better for the next 40, so why not start now. I had a pair from early 80's that I thought sounded great. I rebuilt the cabinets (dog attack) and at the last minute figured I may as well have Bob redo the crossovers as long as the speakers were apart. I was amazed at how much better they sounded. Just one man's 2 cents.

post-60988-0-79120000-1466033642_thumb.j

post-60988-0-04640000-1466033659_thumb.j

post-60988-0-23600000-1466033677_thumb.j

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 1

man i really appreciate this information - i think. when i got them in 76, i laugh because i went to hi-fi shop in highland park in dallas. they were known for mac equipment and Klipsch speakers. the speakers where the focus they sold me. needless to say, i know how to plug them in and positive and negative wires need to be aligned

that said, what is cap them.

and of course when comments are made about drivers - do you mean the speaker or something on the board?

hey, i know when i play my lps, great sound comes out the speakers - used to and one day it will. I have not been naughty with them and i will do the testing of screws asap and HOPE that is the issue cause i am not sure how to "test" them but i have a friend who can help there

THANKS again i will let all know what is happening or going one. again, really appreciate it

When you unscrew the back panel of the heresy, and remove it, check the tightness of the leads from the crossover networks TO the connectors ON that back panel, loosen them and clean them and put them back on and see if that is the problem...most likely it is! This commonly happens as the plywood back panel's THICKNESS shrinks with age, the connections loosen and just need to be cleaned and tightened back up. Simple fix!

Edited by HDBRbuilder
  • Like 1

"cap them" means, simply, replace the 40-yr old capacitors that are in your crossovers with new ones that will bring everything back into spec.  I did a lot of reading about my Heresy crossovers and it's commonly believed that capacitors drift out of spec over time and need to be replaced.

It was an easy job if you are able to solder.  

I used these caps in my Heresy I Type Es as a low-cost alternative:

Dayton Audio PMPC-2.0 2.0uF 250V Precision Audio Capacitor https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pmpc-20-20uf-250v-precision-audio-capacitor--027-214

Model: PMPC-2.0|Part # 027-214

I hope that helps and good luck!  That's very cool that you kept those speakers all these years.

OK disconnected each speaker and wired to the other speakers crossover - its a bad woofer - no matter what i would do, would not come up or broadcast and so,,,,, yes i will be sending in my crossovers to get rebuilt cause that just sounds like i need it. now i have to find a speaker. will look to see if Bob Crites has them or does anyone have another suggestion. thought since he appeared to get good reviews on rebuild

yeah i also rewired to make sure that woofer wire was not bad :) so disappointed.....

THANKS all for all the support

A "driver" is a bit generic term. It is the combination of magnet, voice coil, and diaphragm. The voice coil is a coil of wire which is mechanically attached to the diaphragm. It sits in a ring shaped gap which is part of the magnet system.

A woofer driver is just the whole thing which is otherwise called a speaker.

The midrange driver (look for K-55) is again a magnet, diaphragm, and voice coil. It is the heavy gray squat cylinder. In this case you can't see the diaphragm because it is inside. It pumps air back and forth though the threaded connection to the horn. The horn is the sort of triangular thing.

The tweeter (look for K-77) is a smaller version of the mid driver and horn. The cylindrical or square thing is the driver. This one does not unscrew. It can be taken apart to replace the combination diaphragm and voice coil. Let Crites do that.

WMcD

Cant go wrong with the woofer from Bob! I have also heard of others using the Eminence Delta 12LF (I think). It is a little cheaper and does perform well. Others may chime in to elaborate if this is a good choice (or the right model) you can get it from parts-express. I have used the Eminence Kappa 15" a few times in my Klipsch and loved them, haven't used the 12" though.

OK disconnected each speaker and wired to the other speakers crossover - its a bad woofer - no matter what i would do, would not come up or broadcast and so,,,,, yes i will be sending in my crossovers to get rebuilt cause that just sounds like i need it. now i have to find a speaker. will look to see if Bob Crites has them or does anyone have another suggestion. thought since he appeared to get good reviews on rebuild

yeah i also rewired to make sure that woofer wire was not bad :) so disappointed.....

I know you said money was tight, but consider replacing both woofers, and selling the good K-22 (if not both) on eBay to recoup some of the money.

Rebuilding the crossover consists of replacing the capacitors. 

What about the dead tweeter? If you have a dead one, you should replace both with titanium. I did that in mine and it really improved the balance between the tweeter and the midrange. It "brightened" them up.

OK in addition to being thankful for all the support - i have a question.

I forget how much i paid for these in 1976. i am thinking around 600 for the pair, got a BO turntable and Yamaha receiver and think i paid about 1200 which was a lot of money then (and is now) but the question i have is - ok, 200 for pair of woofers (which bob says probably will not last like the originals) 200 for each of the other "pairs" or somewhere there about, and 100 for the rebuild cross over - SO bottom line, another say 600 for an almost Klipsch speaker? this is where I am interested - when i got mine, they were some of the top of the lines. today, in disposable world we live - and the fact that I probably don't have another 40 years in me (haha) and getting deafer as i move along what would DO.  

me, i will buy the woofers and crossover and wait for the next part to fail but what would you do and teach me please, why.

Highland Park Hi-Fi in Dallas was where i got my equipment. a real HIFI store it was a great and poplular place. most sold, were mac's, bo and yes, Klipsch.... :) thanks all for your feedback.

Perhaps you should just replace the bad woofer and tweeter and forget about recapping for now. By the way, you can put new caps in yourself for a lot less than having it done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-K-22-EF-12-woofer-from-Early-R-S-N-Heresy-Single-12-woofer-/231988389443?hash=item360395e643:g:DoAAAOSwInxXNQle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diaphragm-for-Klipsch-K-77-K77-K-77M-K77M-824-0137-Horn-Tweeter-Driver-2-Pack-/131036598952?hash=item1e8263d2a8:g:1ZYAAOxygj5SdAkp

Crites sells the recap kits for $42 or $47.

Total cost less than $175 and speakers like new.

Edited by mustang guy