1976 Heresy crossover bad

kgodwin

The Crites CT-125 is based on the APT-50 (phenolic) driver, is there a titanium diaphragm available?

http://www.ebay.com/...ZYAAOxygj5SdAkp

Not worth buying.

Wait... what?? CT-125 is just a plain old phenolic?  I did not know this. I have two pairs of Heresy's and intended on upgrading them to titanium. I upgraded my KP-201's a while back and really liked the difference.

Can K-76's be used in a regular Heresy?

The Crites CT-125 is based on the APT-50 (phenolic) driver, is there a titanium diaphragm available?

Not worth buying.

Wait... what?? CT-125 is just a plain old phenolic?  I did not know this. I have two pairs of Heresy's and intended on upgrading them to titanium. I upgraded my KP-201's a while back and really liked the difference.

I don't think you can put Ti diaphragms in the K-77...aren't the KP-201s closer to Heresy lls???

Bill

Absolutely no on piezo, Yes to more testing. Usually the woofer is the last thing to go out on Heresy's but anything can happen. It does get expensive rebuilding, sort of like buying all the parts to build a car. Key is to buy extra drivers as the come along, then when you need to fix something you can say you did it with parts laying around. Makes it less painful. At one point, I had enough extra drivers and crossovers to build 3 1/2 more Belles &/or LaScalas. I never said it had to make sense. If you were closer, I'd say bring 'em by, I may have the parts laying around!

Not worth buying.

I don't think you can put Ti diaphragms in the K-77...aren't the KP-201s closer to Heresy lls???

Bill

Yes, the KP-201 is the Heresy II. I have had 3 pairs of them, and they are great speakers. 

"Oh, I wasn't serious on the piezo tweeters."

I am serious, the Motorola/CTS KSN1016A is fabulous, that's why Klipsch, Community, Altec (and others) used them.

Kind of hard to find anymore though, aftermarket versions are very, very poor.

That's what I mainly meant....those cheap knock offs. Like the type they used in some older car audio stuff in cheap full range boxes.

It's odd that a person can buy a used, or new, K-33 woofer for a lot less than the new replacement Heresy woofers. I bought a new pair of K-33's for less than half of what a replacement Heresy woofer runs. (But I know lots of dealers)

There's quite a few used K-22's and K-24's on ebay right now. Even some red surround versions that are around 8 ohm. Might be an option.

Edited by avguytx

Lets make sure the woofer is bad check with OHM meter. The tweeter could be bad but I kind of doubt it check it with OHM meter also. I have ran a big 120 watt MAC amp through my Hersys and no ill came from it. Go buy a cheap OHM meter at wally world or almost anyplace and give one of us a call. Im sure we can figure this out on the phone it.

• Like 1