ISO: epic cf-3 version 1 replacement woofer

ducks75

Hi, i just recently bought a pair of cf3s and one of the woofers starts to crackle when turned up so im guessing the voice coil is blown. So i need either a replacement woofer or if someone know who can repair one if its possible. Thanks guys

Edited by ducks75

I have CF-2's and I had issues with 2 of the woofers as well.  Klipsch doesn't make repair parts so you either have to find used replacements like Mark has, or buy from somewhere.  I went to parts express after I couldn't find an original Klipsch replacement.  My replacements work fine and sound great.

Make sure to take a look at the dust cap on the driver and see if it is glued down and sealed.  That can make a noise at higher volume as it starts to vibrate against the driver if an edge has come loose.   

• Like 1

The dust covers look ok and are tight up against the cone i think its the voice coil because the voices in tge music getsvall cracky sounding and gargled but its only a certain volumes... I cant believe how hard it is to find one of these ive looked on the internet everywhere with no luck... Can you repair the voice coil in these? And i think im going to just buy marks woofer he has its a version 3 which had different woofers but will work.

The dust covers look ok and are tight up against the cone i think its the voice coil because the voices in tge music getsvall cracky sounding and gargled but its only a certain volumes... I cant believe how hard it is to find one of these ive looked on the internet everywhere with no luck... Can you repair the voice coil in these? And i think im going to just buy marks woofer he has its a version 3 which had different woofers but will work.

Shiva in Post #6 makes a good point.  The exact same thing happened to a CF-4 woofer where it would buzz, but not all the time and not at all volumes.  It drove me crazy because I couldn't pinpoint it.  It was one of the dustcaps that was probably 1/4 unglued, the other 3/4 of the dust cap was nice and tight.

I suggest you revisit the dust cap theory just in case the easiest thing to fix is the culprit. 

If you want more help in diagnosing it, let me know.

+++

Here is the link to fixing the dust cap:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/page-4#entry1881397

The part of the dust cap that may be lose is the flat outside edge.  The rest of the cap looks OK but you can find it by lifting the cap lightly with your fingers or under the seam with a pocket knife.  The cone is plastic and is not likely to be cut.

post-58280-0-14560000-1466037458_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

Ok so i did a couple test last night and when i push on the bottom of the woofer it stops making the sound and when i stop putting pressure on the bottombof the woofer it starts crackling again. Would thst be rubbing? Can it be repaired?

Agree with AV Guy in Texas.

It sounds like it's time to pull the offending woofer to take a closer look.

My eyeballs are telling me it's four Phillips-head screws and your woofer is free from the front.

• Like 1