Amp ?

vjdebart

I want to get into a set of Heritage speakers would a Denon AVR 4800 receiver do them justice.... 120 WPC shes an oldie but a goodie

I like it because its got digital inputs and I think a good amount of current

option 2 is a Harman Kardon HK 6800 integrated amp 120 WPC 70 amps of current all analog with an audioengine DAC  

I like the digital front end because i'm streaming a lot of music these days   ...I do spin some wax I think both units have pretty decent phono stages .. 

thanks vince 

Edited by vjdebart

In my limited experience, home theater equipment will always lose just a bit of performance (compared to a similarly-priced two channel component) to make room for all the home theater-related features. It'll sound good, but at either amp's limit, I think something more two-channel dedicated will perform better.

Personally, I own an Adcom 7607 7-channel power amp and an Adcom GFA-535 stereo amp, and while the 7607 has stronger bass and more power (125w per channel as opposed to the 535's 65w), it loses its composure much faster approaching its limits than the older 535. Either amp will distort when pushed hard, but the HT amp loses its dynamics and musicality while the 535 stays much more neutral.

Perhaps someone who knows either component better can give better testimony, but if I were shopping for myself, I'd be after the Harmon/Kardon or something else more two-channel focused. 

• Like 1

I think you would be fine with either option but if two channel is your thing, then maybe the HK would be the "better" choice.

I drove my Heresys with one of these legendary Luxmans for quite some time and the combination has not been equaled in my house.

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/ele/5632668287.html

Bill

There is something just good about a big stereo amp without all the Dolby this and Audyssey that. This has been discussed before, and it's an interesting and very subjective topic. On the other hand, it's hard to beat a set of Heritage mixed with multiple subs and a good AVR or pre/pro for movies or surround music like SACD's and DVD-A's.

I have a suspicion the stereo solution (6800) and the DAC would be the one I would end up liking best. Even if you end up needing a sub, that can be done as long as the sub has high level inputs.

Which Heritage speakers do you think you will be looking into?

Thanks for the input.. and Mustang Id like a set of Cornwalls but Hearsays (the dream would be Khorns the speaker that I heard over 40 years ago and got me hooked on HIFI)  would work as well..I do have a Klipsch RPW10 sub to add to the mix

thanks for the link Willland 

Edited by vjdebart

There is something just good about a big stereo amp without all the Dolby this and Audyssey that. This has been discussed before, and it's an interesting and very subjective topic.

Agree.

I have a 2013 Onkyo 717 AVR with all the Dolby and Audyssey this and that and MG is absolutely correct about how dramatically the sound is colored by the AVR's electronics.  I think sometimes reducing to the least common denominator will get you the most "pure" sound, whatever the heck that is.

I am currently experimenting with the sound of my newly acquired Khorns and I just couldn't figure out how they sounded with my 5.1 setup because there was too much cross talk.  I then electronically unplugged everything until I got L/R in full range and then found yet MORE listening modes I didn't even know existed!  I now have available Mono 2.0, and I have Dolby D in mono, which frankly is the listening mode I was trying to get to.

Multi-channel Mono?  Who knew?

Edited by wvu80