Walnut Klipschorns and Nikko amp - $2500 (Rochester, IN)

opusk2k9

Well......it's quite a story.....but with a happy ending, no, not a special finish for you perverts out there....

Traveled down into deep Indiana farmland.  Turns out that these were basically almost original owner K's, passed down from father to son, to son...., and other than the original purchase, never moved more than 2 miles from one house to another.  Absolutely wonderful people.    Fortunately, I took an amp and cables with me, as they weren't hooked up, and hadn't been in use for probably 20 years.  Decided to purchase them, and attempted to fit them into the back of my Ford Explorer...wrong....I was sure they would fit when I left my house this morning...but no.  So, the gentleman selling offered to help me load them in the back of his open bed truck, and follow me home, an hour....(did I say wonderful people?)  We loaded them up, wrapped in moving blankets, and secured with tie-down straps.  About half way home, a huge thunderstorm popped up (typical this time of year in Indiana...), and we pulled under an overpass, dug out a couple of tarps, and did the best we could to secure them....Over the next hour, we held the tarps over the bed, and endured 35mph winds, hail, and lightning all around....absolutely crazy.  Totally and completely soaked from head to toe....The rain was so thick I couldn't see 10 yards down the road....Finally, the front passed and we made a run for it.  Got back to my place and unloaded them into my garage just as another front came in.  I really thought they were going to be soaked and ruined....Took off the blankets and tarps,and although there were a couple of damp spots, nothing major....a really miraculous result....the 30 year old dust was till intact.....

So, a couple of minor issues here and there, a few scratches, but nothing huge.  AK-2 crossovers, K-55M's, K-77 squares.  All original, all sequential serials.  Got a little bit of work to do on them, and I will need to build false corners before they join the "clan" downstairs, but it was a worthwhile trip, and certainly one I will not soon forget....  

I'm happy.

And....the requisite photo after unloading in my garage...

post-12530-0-01360000-1466983295_thumb.j

• Like 6

Thanks all, really appreciate your sentiments and support...it was quite a day.

I am going to start a new thread, and hopefully find out a few answers before then by using the fabulous search feature on this site....regarding recommended Khorn upgrades, tips and tweaks....Obviously I'm going to update the crossovers in some fashion, either with new caps, or a totally new board, but that's what the new thread will be about....

Thanks again all, I'm tired.....

Good job Jim. Those are cleaner than mine. Solution to the dry veneer (you'll be shocked when you do this) is WATCO Rejuvenating Finsh, clear type. Make sure to get the clear as other types have stain in them. 

Advice from Steve Phillips, ex Senior Tech at Klipsch. Oil them once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year. Ok, maybe not that much, but what you want is LOTS of hand rubbing, which polishes the grain down, and thin coats of the Watco finish. They will absolutely glow after just a couple passes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2016 at 7:23 PM, jimjimbo said:

And....the requisite photo after unloading in my garage...

IMG_2878 (Large).JPG

I'm used to seeing the face veneered with 4 or 6 strips.  A few will be done in 3.  I count only 2 on these.  I guess they had some fat trees to cut from back then.

If you need any parts for those, I just removed all the stock parts (minus the woofer) from a 1991 set (mid-horns, k77m, k55m, AK3, and everything strapped to inside access panels).