New to the forum AND the Klipsch sound

rich3fan

If that's the only damage on them it might me more of a hassle and cost than its worth. Just my opinion I know its upsetting when you get a damaged item but you got to decide whether its worth fight.

But amazon has helped me out a few times with out any question's you just got to follow their rules.

What I have seen in past they blame shipper then shipper blames the place or the buyer.

I hope you get resolved though.

I hear ya ricktate. I temporarily set them up yesterday in the small TV room because I couldn't stop looking at them and wondering what they're like. Well they're still there. I played DG's "Rattle That Lock", some other SACD's I own through my Oppo BDP-93 and... well... and I realize they need break-in time but it is really going to be a difficult decision.

So, initial impressions: very good detail, I would say that right now in the very small room they are forward, aggressive, the tweeters are dominating but not overly and the thought of fatiguing doesn't really apply to my ears. I have high frequency hearing loss in one ear and I tend to focus on the cymbals and how well they are reproduced. Beautiful to look at (I'm single, no hot women to look at... BTW what's that hole in the back for?  :wub: ) Good deep accurate lows which is another reason I went with the 280's instead of the 260's. Reviewers mentioned deep bass was lacking in the 260's. I'm very impressed so far.

I got my RP-280Fs at the tail of their break-in period. The guy who owned them before only had them for two months and I don't think they were used very much, and to my ear still they had to be used a bit more before they'd sound completely right.

I can't speak for how the RP-280Fs sound when new out of the box, but I can tell you that when I bought my old pair of Synergy F-20s new, they sounded like horn and tweeter almost exclusively. Glad you're enjoying them though! Have you pushed them loud yet?

Edited by chriswhotakesphotos

Well I can't tell you exactly how loud because I broke my SPL meter when the damn battery connector wouldn't cooperate.  :angry:  I had them cranked up pretty good though for few songs last night and I'd say the 280's and the amp were performing well. They definitely need to be in a bigger room with good acoustic treatments, which I'm working on.

Sounds as if this pair was on the sales floor.

Curious as to how corner damage occurred when that's the one place that typically has a bunch of styrofoam around them.  Was the styrofoam all jacked up or was it in great shape?  If the styrofoam is jacked then it's obviously shipping damage.  If the corner is jacked while styrofoam is perfect, I would be thinking it was a demo or B-stock or something.  Who knows though, I'm just talking.  

Quick update on the hurt speaker: I'm working closely with the dealer and if all goes as planned I'll have the replacement on Friday, the day before my birthday, the beginning of my vacation, and in time to play some new records I bought. Just FYI, I've purchased three albums so far on Amazon and not one issue with warping or cracking. I'm pretty happy about that.

• Like 2

The RMA shipping label was left at my door today and I'll exchange with the new one on Friday. Looks like I'm going to have to start my vaca a few hours early so I can be here for the delivery.  :emotion-14:

Think these damn heavy speakers can break the neighbors windows when connected to a ***generous*** amp? The closest neighbor with the noisy dog is about 50' from my backyard. Don't want to risk back strain in the event they can't.

If you have some spare cash to spend, look into a 2 channel tube amp, say 20 to 30 watts per. Might just take it up a notch in sound quality - maybe even notches unknown!

I was looking at some two channel tube amps that are made in Japan but it has been a very long time since using the tube tester at the local hardware store. These speakers will certainly allow me to grow my system over time, and I'd love to have the tube sound back again along with a better turntable somewhere down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to the quick update: Eric at Sound Distributors went over and above my expectations on the replacement process, I'm happily enjoying breaking in my new 280's. They're currently connected to my Emotiva LPA-1 in my media room so they have enough space to breath. I'll post pics in the proper thread soon.

• Like 1