Help with cleaning the tops of my cornwall 3'3

RLink

I was keeping this vinyl cover on top and it left marks on the tops of my speakers.  I tried a little warm soap and water and they are still there.

So upset about this and looking for any help in getting these marks or residue off???

I know goo gone would work but so afraid it will ruin the wood veneer finish............Thanks for any help with this.

Attached is a picture of the top of one speaker.  You can see the cover I was using left a checkerboard mark on the tops and I tried diluting Murphys Oil Soap and Warm Water and it didn't do anything.

These are Cornwall 3's with a wood veneer finish..........thanks for any assistance with this.

post-60890-0-77520000-1466268588_thumb.j

post-60890-0-06960000-1466268600_thumb.j

I use mineral spirits (paint thinner) to remove anything sticky on almost any surface. I think Lars suggestion may be worth trying.

Use a soft clean cloth on a small test area. Rub gently and rinse immediately with a mild soapy solution and dry with a soft cloth. 

Good luck.

Keith

I use mineral spirits (paint thinner) to remove anything sticky on almost any surface. I think Lars suggestion may be worth trying.

Use a soft clean cloth on a small test area. Rub gently and rinse immediately with a mild soapy solution and dry with a soft cloth. 

Good luck.

Keith

In my opinion, I would not rinse with any water, w or w/o soap.

Just the mineral spirits, let dry. and done.   Lars

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum. You may have already found a remedy for this issue by now. If not,  I'll second the Naptha. I've used this solvent to clean Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes on guitars. Most recently my 1964 Gibson SG. As with anything test a small area before proceeding. Don't flood the finish with Naptha.

Naptha is widely used by musicians to clean any instrument that has a Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish.

Also, good advice in the previous post!

Edited by Superbee69