Painting Heresy 2 motorboard, back panels plus other things

avguytx

Some of the white paint got on the motorboard, inside pieces where grills sit, and pack panel. Is the best matching paint going to be the Valspar #40 sheen satin black for the fronts and backs? I've been researching threads for an hour or so and see where some use this and others paint them black and then put a lacquer on that.

EDIT:  I saw where you had already painted before I posted this.  Maybe it will be a good reference for later.

From the Sticky Thread, Tech Mods:

8. "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to installation of drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors and currently is a #40 sheen, semi-gloss lacquer from Valspar/OPEC. Lacquer finishes only require a routine wiping off with a clean dry cloth to maintain the finish.

9. For "Black Lacquer" finishes, the factory used a #40 sheen lacquer primer, then #40 sheen black lacquer, with a clear #40 sheen to protect the black finish.

10. Generally, most veneered Heritage products had the rear panels/ sections sprayed with black lacquer primer. Starting in late 1983 and continuing to this day, the rear panels of the Heritage models are now sprayed with a coat of primer, then a coat of "textured" semi gloss, and a top coat of clear lacquer.

Edited by wvu80

So I got them sanded down, wiped off, and the first coat of Watco walnut Danish oil is on. I guess they look decent overall. Honestly, I'm not going to keep these as the funds from them will further my Belle project. There are no emblems on the grills; is it worth buying some of those plastic knock offs on ebayour just for selling them? Original emblems are way expensive. Plus not having their tags on the backs, there's not an easy way to date when they were made. I've had 3 pairs of Heresy's thru the years and do like the way they sound, for what they are. But, there's nowhere else I'd be able to use them as the living room is my main listening area for now. Until, (1) I build the attic into a listening room or, (2) we buy or build a new house where I have that dedicated area.

So these will be coming up for sale soon but still wanted opinions on the grill emblems. I thought about doing some new walnut veneer on them but don't think there's enough ROI in doing so.

Edited by avguytx