FM HD Reception

JJkizak

The FM HD reception with my Denon X-4000 does vary a lot, sometimes it's pristine, sometimes very good, and sometimes not. It varies with stations, the weather, and which group is playing and all this  with my outdoor antenna. The first things to degrade are the higher frequencies especially cymbals and speech in large groups of singers. I'm curious if any of you have the same problems and how FM HD signals can be technically degraded. Groups such as the Eagles and Heart are always perfect. I listen about 2 hours every day and lately all I purposely listen for is distortion instead of the music. I am wondering how much of this is the fault of the station. All of this of course is regarding the FM tuner. The Bluray, TV,  DVD, and CD is perfect in performance.

JJK

Well I have the old sony HD tuner that I got for 99 bucks and now if you find one they are crazy price. I also have outdoor ant. with very old coax cable split to another receiver.

I have never heard any distortion in fact one station does have a noise on regular fm but no noise on HD.

I suspect its the station your having problems with or it could be its not on HD at all. The sony tuner has option to filter out non-HD channels.

I really like mine wish I would have bought 2-3 looking at the prices now..lol

Not sure if I helped you but HD is awesome for me.

What outside antenna are you using, and is it boosted?

Is it relatively close to the receiver?

How high is the antenna?

Is it able to have line of sight to the stations you listen to?

Sorry for the 3rd drgree...

What am thinking is you are at threshold when conditions are ideal.

When not ideal, the signal goes below threshold. Any fix that can raise your reception above threshold,

should make for more stable reception in less than ideal conditions. Bet this reads simplistic but,

there are ways to fix situation.

Thanks!

Edited by billybob

What outside antenna are you using, and is it boosted?

Is it relatively close to the receiver?

How high is the antenna?

Is it able to have line of sight to the stations you listen to?

Sorry for the 3rd drgree...

The antenna is an older VHF/UHF 94 element 17 feet long something 9000 I think. No boost, 50 feet and about 20 feet high and it's pretty much line of site. RG6 with one splitter. I have tried a smaller indoor antenna with about the same results.

JJK

It sounds like an ideal situation to try an inexpensive amplifier. I am using an Aska AM-125 UHF/VHF/FM amp with 25db gain.

The extra gain may help with the attenuation of the longer cable run. Ideal is around 25 foot. I probably have one around here

somewhere.

The amp is used inside near the receiver.

http://www.cableandwireshop.com/aska-am-125-uhf-vhf-fm-22db-distribution-home-amplifier.html

This one is fixed but, come with variable gain also which I recommend.  Any brand should do, just make sure it covers FM. Read the bottom of the page of link.

Sounds like your system.

*It may be worthwhile to tweak the antenna direction while watching the display on front of the Denon to see if you can improve upon the signal strength, There may be a sweet spot where all stations interested in can be achieved. The mast brackets on antenna may need loosening enough to be able to turn antenna. If you do this, first mark where your antenna is now with orientation mark so that if you cannot peak signal any more, it will be easy to return to previous direction position. Each incremental move should be made on the weakest signal, and then wait a couple or more seconds for the receiver to digitally correct what it is looking at.

Page 72 of the quick setup pdf was my source for the Denon display.

The amp mentioned is just a quick way of overcoming weak signal without going through the antenna tweak exercise. You are welcome to try a new or used unit like I described which I have around here and not using.

Just let me know...

Edited by billybob

It sounds like an ideal situation to try an inexpensive amplifier. I am using an Aska AM-125 UHF/VHF/FM amp with 25db gain.

The extra gain may help with the attenuation of the longer cable run. Ideal is around 25 foot. I probably have one around here

somewhere.

The amp is used inside near the receiver.

http://www.cableandwireshop.com/aska-am-125-uhf-vhf-fm-22db-distribution-home-amplifier.html

This one is fixed but, come with variable gain also which I recommend.  Any brand should do, just make sure it covers FM. Read the bottom of the page of link.

Sounds like your system.

*It may be worthwhile to tweak the antenna direction while watching the display on front of the Denon to see if you can improve upon the signal strength, There may be a sweet spot where all stations interested in can be achieved. The mast brackets on antenna may need loosening enough to be able to turn antenna. If you do this, first mark where your antenna is now with orientation mark so that if you cannot peak signal any more, it will be easy to return to previous direction position. Each incremental move should be made on the weakest signal, and then wait a couple or more seconds for the receiver to digitally correct what it is looking at.

Page 72 of the quick setup pdf was my source for the Denon display.

The amp mentioned is just a quick way of overcoming weak signal without going through the antenna tweak exercise. You are welcome to try a new or used unit like I described which I have around here and not using.

Just let me know...

The old indoor antenna had a built in amplifier which didn't seem to make a difference. I did forget to mention that the commercials (Music and voices and DJ's) on all the stations have no distortion at all and have never had distortion even on signal fades. That's what irks me to no end.

JJK

The old indoor antenna had a built in amplifier which didn't seem to make a difference. I did forget to mention that the commercials (Music and voices and DJ's) on all the stations have no distortion at all and have never had distortion even on signal fades. That's what irks me to no end. JJK

I figured it may be amplified. Best case scenario is outside antenna with shorter cable run. In this case amp needed imo for the longer run. Yes, strange all of the oddities.